Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need MIDI stagelight control...help

I am a solo gigger-- guitarist vocalist, with my own MIDI sequences filling in the backup. I like to keep my stage setup simple and easy since I am my only roadie! I have an EXTREMELY simple stage light set up which are a pair of RAPCO lights which are each housed in a rectangular metal box atop a tripod stand. No faders...just individual on and off switches for each of four colored lights per box and a master on off switch. Simple as this may seem, I am wondering if there is a way I can integrate some sort of MIDI control to take over the lighting chores. My vision is to devote a dedicated MIDI channel to lighting control in each song sequence to turn various lights on and off as desired. Does anyone know of a simple interface I can get to do the job. Any help is much appreciated. THANK YOU! KK

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AFAIK... you need to use something MSC - midi show control... it's a group of sysex messages that will do just that. I think the principle is some kind of break out box which converts the midi messages into something like TTL signals to turn lights on and off for example. Do a google search for 'MSC midi show control' Hopefully someone has a little more info... good luck

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

My wife & I do some duet gigs. I use a Lightronics FC-816. It's a foot switch type box that stores eight scenes and sixteen channels. I assume your midi rig is driven by some sort of sequencer!? Anyway the FC-816 is really great because you can use it manually or midi-up and have automatic lighting. BTW you still need the separate dimmer pack. Each dimmer pack has four channels and is controlled via a mic cable from the FC-816 and you should be able to find the FC-816 costing around 300.00 I think, and the dimmers are less maybe 250.00? each. This is one of the best purchases I have ever made and its a whole lot of fun doing the programming and playin' around with. Hope this helps-good luck. medford

Archived