Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Elvis Costello rocks

Been listening to his latest "Delivery man" for a few days now.

Best stuff from him in years IMHO.

Being with the "Impostors" it represents a return to his earlier punk/rock style with the attractions.

A few ballady things are OK.

A handful of heavier tunes are just killer.

Just like Dylan - even tho his voice aint pretty- his singing is really great. Especially on this album.

As usual, dense intelligent lyrics complement great music

I cant get "Bedlam" and "Delivery man" out of my head.

Anyone else?

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like he's quit the pretense of being a "jazz singer". If so that can only be a good thing as his adenoidal timbre and limited range never seemed to improve.

While I like some of his early work, I've never been able to overcome the charry feeling left from his comments about Ray Charles...my loss, I'm sure.

Are these "Elvis Costello Rocks" like Pet Rocks...or like Pop Rocks?

Originally posted by John O. Lennon:

Sounds like he's quit the pretense of being a "jazz singer". If so that can only be a good thing as his adenoidal timbre and limited range never seemed to improve.

While I like some of his early work, I've never been able to overcome the charry feeling left from his comments about Ray Charles...my loss, I'm sure.

Are these "Elvis Costello Rocks" like Pet Rocks...or like Pop Rocks?

I musta missed the Ray Charles comments.

What did Elvis do now??

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

My wife just got me "Delivery Man" for an early birthday present...looking forward to giving it a proper listen later tonight.

She also got me the 25th anniversary edition of "London Calling" with a live CD and a "making of" DVD by Don Letts.

She knows me oh so well! :D

this house is empty now...

Originally posted by Kendrix:

I musta missed the Ray Charles comments.

What did Elvis do now??

This was years ago--like '79, maybe. Elvis got in a verbal sparring match in a bar with members of Delaney and Bonnie. His side of the story was that he was drunk and young and trying to say THE most offensive thing he could think of. I will not repeat what he said, but it was highly offensive and racist. He got punched in the face, and the story spread from there.

He's never fully lived it down, and you know for sure it has never stopped paining him. But, hey, I'm not asking for forgiveness for him. I think he's paid his debt in being a quality, prolific artist who is continually, and explicitly, honoring the genuis of black American music.

Tough one.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Magpel mostly pegged it but I will add... he called Charles (a man who, it could be said, was the single most influential figure in developing late 20th century popular music & rock&roll) a "blind, ignorant nigger" upon which Bonnie Bramlett knocked his "punky street-cred" ass out cold. :thu:

While it's a given that we must eventually allow for people to correct their earlier transgressions, this wasn't said because EC actually believed it but strictly to offend.

That's what I find lingering in my memory.

He could've aimed his comment at anyone but he chose Ray Charles. It's like spitting on the Pope or something.

That plus that although, as said before, I like some of his work, his extended attempts to be a "jazz singer" seem to me an utter failure (no range & really bad, adenoidal vocal timbre, that he never improved) plus his general pomposity as an artiste strike me as even worse than Wynton Marsalis.

...But enough of me spouting off.

Originally posted by Kendrix:

Been listening to his latest "Delivery man" for a few days now.

Best stuff from him in years IMHO.

Being with the "Impostors" it represents a return to his earlier punk/rock style with the attractions.

I imagine being married to Diana Krall would get any middle-aged dweeb a bit frisky... :D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by John O. Lennon:

He could've aimed his comment at anyone but he chose Ray Charles. It's like spitting on the Pope or something..

As I recall he couldn't have made the comment about "anyone". They were discussing British vs. American artists. Ray Charles was mentioned as a point for the American side and he countered with his racist remark. Drunk and stupid, and so he thought, not a public remark. But once you're punk ass is punched out by an American chick singer of some note, and you're already notorious to some degree...

...it's going to hit the papers. Oops.

I love his stuff up through Blood and Chocolate... then, bleh. I've seen him at least 10 times and was a fanatic, but now, bleh.

I'll have to listen to the new one.

Archived