Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultimate American Rock Band

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]detroit IS rock city! [/b][/quote] 'Nuff said. And only one vote for Parliment/Funkadelic. From somebody in Sweden. Now make it two. :D Isn't The Band from Canada? Rob'WhoSaysAFunkBandCan'tPlayRock'T [ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: RobT ]

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My vote for numero uno US band also goes to Creedence. Other favorites of mine-not mentioned yet; Lovin' Spoonful Grateful Dead Spirit Arthur Lee and Love Blood, Sweat And Tears The Mamas And The Papas (mostly their original material) Tower of Power (with Lenny Williams as vocalist) The Raspberries The (Young) Rascals .38 Special Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes (Epic label period) Mott The Hoople Heart Not in any particular order.....

[quote]Originally posted by RobT: [b] And only one vote for Parliment/Funkadelic. [/b][/quote] hey, they're one of my faves...but they ain't really really rock now are they? same with prince, sly stone, etc. now when the "american funk band" thread comes up then we'll talk....all the above plus the meters, ohio players, etc..... -d. gauss

No order.... KISS Aerosmith Nirvana Ramones Van Halen PS-I leave Steely Dan off because I find them more jazz tahn rock, though I love em. My criteria for the above choices are loosly based mostly on impact, longevity and quality of tunes. The Ramones are kind of a stretch on the last one, but I am tossing em a bone....They deserve it...

I dont really know if I would consider them to be one of America's top 50 bands, they are definitely one of my top ten favorite bands .I'm glad to see Bad Brains get some recognition. This is an all Black Punk Rock/Reggae band, with guys who can [i]REALLY[/i] play. Have you ever heard fast Punk rock [i]groove[/i]. They had great hooks, and really innovative sound that definitely influenced bands today like KORN, RATM and DefTones.And I heard sometime's they would do all Reggae gigs under the name ZION TRAIN. Really beautiful stuff, and way ahead of their time. Here would be my pick Van Halen- when you think of this band how could you not think Ultimate American Party band(Roth,Us festival era) Lynyrd Skynyrd- Great band,great players, great songs. KISS- love em or hate em, Uncle Gene and Co. probably influenced more bands than any other [i]American[/i]band. Spent more time on hooks than learning how to shred. Genius. Nirvana- If the 80's Hair metal Rockstar was a Dinosaur. Nirvana would be a meteor that crashed into earth, killing them all. By 1992, everything had changed, and there was no stopping it. Now you just see all the old 80's rockstars hangin out at NAMM with their bad toupee's and black n white tiger striped outfit -girlfriend, trying to swag free 5hit. Nirvana had more in common with ABBA than any of those 80's hair bands-great hooks. Thats about all I can think of right now later jOmAg

well as far as all american music goes, top 5 1. George and Ira Gerschwin- took pop to a new level. 2. Beach Boys- their legacy still lives, it's everywher in modern music. 3. Moby Grape- very influential, but underground at the time. each of the songs off of there debut were like springboards for entire genres. 4. Louis Armstrong- need anything be said? 5. Stevie Wonder- " This being stated, I'll probably have a totally different list in a few minutes, you know how it is....

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived