Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultimate American Rock Band

The "Top 5 All-Time Rock Band" reminded me of an ongoing conversation we had going at work a while back. My co-worker posed the question of who the Ultimate American Rock Band was, since many of the most obvious greatest Rock bands (Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc.) were imported. So whaddya think? As a side note, perhaps we should consider Spin's 50 greatest bands of all time: 1.Beatles 2.Ramones 3.Led Zepplin 4.Bob Marley and the Wailers 5.Nirvana 6.Parliament/Funkadelic 7.The Clash 8.Public Enemy 9.The Rolling Stones 10.Beastie Boys 11.The Velvet Underground 12.Sly and the Family Stone 13.U2 14.Run-DMC 15.Radiohead 16.The Jimi Hendrix Experience 17.Sonic Youth 18.AC/DC 19.The Stooges 20.Metallica 21.The Smiths 22.Patti Smith Group 23.NWA 24.Kraftwerk 25.The Sex Pistols 26.Pearl Jam 27.Grateful Dead 28.REM 29.Black Sabbath 30.Pavement 31.fugazi 32.Kiss 33.Pretenders 34.Rage Against the Machine 35.Fela Kuti & Africa 70/Egypt 80 36.David Bowie and the Spiders from Mars 37.Blondie 38.Bad Brains 39.The Who 40.Grandmaster Flash & the Furious 5 41.New Order 42.Husker Du 43.Guns n Roses 44.Outkast 45.The Beach Boys 46.Massive Attack 47.Lynard Skynard 48.Korn 49.Pink Floyd 50.Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by felix: [b] ... As a side note, perhaps we should consider Spin's 50 greatest bands of all time: ... [/b][/quote] No we shouldn't. Sex Pistols?? What a bullshit! They even couldn't play!! The band with an attitude? What is more important: the music or the attitude (or image, for that matter)? Arghhh... :mad: Who is this Spin anyway!? Okay (calm down Vlad, calm down), let's go to the subject. For me the Ultimate American Rock Bands would be (in no particular order): Chicago, Styx, Journey, Foreigner, Kansas, Van Halen, Toto, Dream Theater, Boston, Steely Dan, ... (and so on) Oh, have to go now, sorry. Tomorrow will be back with some more. Stay tuned :D
I am back.

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Well I've seen that Spin list and I think they're mostly full of shit. But that's another story.[/b][/quote] I've gotta say I agree with Lee about the Spin list. I mean, no offense to Ramones fans, but NUMBER 2 of all time?! C'mon! They must be trying to make some sort of statement. Whatever. The further down the list you go, the more absurd it gets. Anyway, the best American rock band of all time, huh? I dunno. Eagles? Beach Boys?
None more black.

Some that would make my list (in no particular order...) Beach Boys Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers REM (I agree with Lee's comments - first 5 LP's) CCR Eagles Allman Brothers Chicago (again, first several albums - David Foster stuff need not apply) Steely Dan SRV and Double Trouble The Cars ..and yeah, The Ramones too... Sandy says I should add Aerosmith too... okay I say, as long as we include them based on the earlier stuff (some of the later stuff gets too "Diane Warren" for my tastes) - she also wants me to add the Blues Brothers for comic relief :) I'll think of more later... sorry, but I've got to get ready for NAMM. Watch for my show report later! [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

I love a lot of American bands, from the mainstream all the way out to the back waters, but if I had to choose one DISTINCTLY AMERICAN band for this honor, it would either be Little Feat or The Band. Or the Beach Boys. Or... Los Lobos.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Listening to the radio won't help your selection fo sho.....but being from the part America I'm from, I'd have to say.....that little ole band from Texas....ZZTOP......love em or hate em....they are a groove machine. I'm not gaga over the Eliminator era, but I'd be hard pressed to find anything on current radio that even comes close to Cheap Sunglasses...or even on XXX...which to me is too cool.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

to me it really really depends. live or on record or both? and if we're talking rock band then they should "rawk"... REM don't really "rawk." the ramones rocked. for live, probably early (pre MTV) "j. geils band" or "dash rip rock" or mid period springsteen. or "the replacements" (on a good night ha ha ha), redd kross, los lobos, and yes good ol' early "kiss" rocked on record, early aerosmith, new york dolls/johnny thunders, very early guns and roses, chuck berry, early ramones, creedence, mitch ryder, lynryd skynrd (if you can overcome the freebird thing), jerry lee lewis, little richard, for both, i'd maybe go with the blasters, or early tom petty or early cheap trick.... -d. gauss

Well I know I'm gonna get reemed for this but my personal all time favorite American Rock band is Guns and Roses. This is probably due to the fact that I was born in the late 70's so I didn't have a chance to really explore The Beach Boys, The Who, Led Zepplin, etc. Different age groups have different influences I guess.

Aww geez d gauss, how could I forget Creedence? DEFINITELY I'd have to say they were the the ultimate American rock band. DUH. And yeah, the Ramones fer shure. They definitely rawked more than REM. :D I agree with most of your other choices. Early Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were pretty definitive, too, although like REM, they started to suck after the first 5 albums... oh well... --Lee

I would nominate... Chuck Berry, Elvis, and Bill Haley and the Comets, for getting the ball rolling. (does it have to be a "band" per se?) The Kingsmen, for letting every American kid know that three chords on a guitar (and Farfisa) was all they needed. One hit...but an amazing influence on tons of garage bands in the 60s. Jimi...for raising the bar. Nirvana...for lowering it again back to "Kingsmen" levels. Aerosmith...for longevity and 30 years of good music. Lynrd Skynrd...for being such a pain-in-the-ass influence on that rowdy southern good-ol-boy rock lifestyle that nearly 25 years after their lead singer's death, they're songs are still some of the most requested stuff out there. AUGHGHGHG!!! [ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Tedster ]
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

REM isnt rock, and the bands they influenced suck. MC5 the stooges 13th floor elevators/roky erikson was donovan american? nirvana JANES ADDICTION- STILL better than all the shit out right now the Doors Allman Bros Govt Mule Skynard Grateful Dead VU JIMI !!!!! fugazi and many more and lets not forget while the british bands listed were big... they were INFLUENCED by AMERICAN music.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Musically inspiring American Rock Bands Top 15 (in my life): 1 Velvet Underground 2 Talking Heads 3 Mc5 3 Funkadelic/Parliament 5 Ramones 6 Sly & the Family Stone 7 Mothers of Invention 8 Television 9 Patti Smith Group 10(Early) Jefferson Airplane 11 (Early) Weather Report 12 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 13 (Early) Springsteen & E Street Band 14 DEVO 15 The New York Dolls /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

[quote]Originally posted by Gulliver: [b] ... Chicago, Styx, Journey, Foreigner, Kansas, Van Halen, Toto, Dream Theater, Boston, Steely Dan, ... (and so on) Oh, have to go now, sorry. Tomorrow will be back with some more. Stay tuned :D [/b][/quote] Okay. I'm back. Mothers of Invention Dixie Dregs Lynyrd Scynyrd Allman Brothers Creedence Clearwater Revival Aerosmith ZZ Top Eagles Greatful Dead Jefferson Airplane (Starship) Grand Funk Metallica Kiss Alice Cooper ... And a myriad of great instrumentalists / solo artists. (Will save their names for another possible analogous thread ;) ). [ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Gulliver ]
I am back.

1. Little Feat(w/Lowell George) 2. Little Feat(Post-Lowell George) 3. The Band 4. Grateful Dead 5. Steely Dan All these guys made contributions that have proven to have a lasting impact on other American bands.(OK so maybe not the new Little Feat,but they're so damn [i]hot[/i]) later, Mike

1.Creedence!!! My dad listens to them all the time and they sound as fresh today as any rock band. 2.Metallica. I was never their fan, I was more into Megadeth at that time, but I must admit that they are the greatest metal band, they influenced more generations of rock fans, more than any other band. They are METAL. 3.Soundgarden. They are the ones that started it all, NOT Nirvana. They made music that never repeated itself, three brilliant albums, probably the best music ever written. 4.Hendrix. Do I need to say more? 5.Guns'n Roses. They ROCK 6.Rage Against the Machine. Limp Bizkit is nothing compared to them. They are metal, they are hardcore, they are rap, they are angry, a band that really makes me bang my head against the wall. Of course I am biased towards metal, as you can see. Well, I will always be... Dragos

i wouldn't say that little feat, the dead, steely dan or zappa ever really rocked. not that they don't have their merit or make compelling music (i for one love little feat).... but by comparison, the mc5, stooges, early grand funk, etc. totally rawked. (and i'm not that big a fan).... detroit IS rock city! -d. gauss

Damn, a lot of good bands mentioned so far. I see The Band got a mention, which surprised me because I always thought of them as Canadian (4/5 Canuk). So, using that as a guide I'd like to throw RUSH into the mix - having only three Canadians in the band that makes 'em more American than The Band (Doesn't twisted logic drive you nuts?). My list of most influencial/ultimate North American rock bands (in no peculiar order :) ) - RUSH - Frank Zappa (go to hell Spin - you guys wouldn't know talent if it blew you. Or maybe you ONLY know it when it blows.) - Grand Funk (Railroad) - Guess Who - Blue Oyster Cult - Cheap Trick - Alice Cooper - KISS - Little Feat - Toto - Van Halen There's so many possibilities. The above is only a short list - every one rocks my world and has influenced me. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

All right then, assuming that "Greatest American Band" means something different "greatest band from America," I'm going to change my vote to NRBQ. I'm also going to throw a few more names into the hopper: The James Gang The Byrds Buffalo Springfield Uncle Tupelo The Monkees Crazy Horse Steppenwolf Talking Heads The Residents The Modern Lovers Pere Ubu and y'all gonna love this one...They Might Be Giants
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

uh sorry dude, MELVINS started the whole nirvana shebang [along with some other smaller area bands]... not soundgarden [although they rock pretty hard as well] i left p-funk off my list since i think they are funk but they DO rock, so i guess i will add them along with the Meters. and i have seen some dead shows that fucking rocked... and dripped/morphed/took off into outer space.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Boy, reading what most of you think makes me feel old...of course I am. No offense to anyone, but rock and roll didn't start in the late 70's and eighties. Several groups that started it all would include the Kingsmen, Bill Haley, Deep Purple, The Animals, Pink Floyd, Creedence, ZZ Top, The Doors, Moby Grape, The Kinks, Led Zep, Grand Funk, The Rascals, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Jefferson Airplane, The Beatles, Jethro Tull, James Gang, Cream, Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac, Canned Heat, Chicago, Santana, the Stones, Them, Styx, Yes, Bad Company, ELO, Skynrd, Marshal Tucker, Reo Speedwagon and a host of others. Half the bands on that stupid list I have never heard of.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Archived