Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

REAL (indie)label asked me to send them my demo..

i work very much to get my jams out to you goode folkes. Somebody downloads every day at one of my sites so I know folkes are listenin'..

I recently asked a label if I could send them my demo and they came back and said yes.

HIGHTONE.com, anybody heard of them?

They sent me an addy and a phone number. I have been sending stuff out for years but this is the first time a REAL label has wanted me to send them stuff.

I don't know what might happen but I feel goode about this one. really goode..

think there's anything to it?

I'm slammin' my demo in the morning mail.

look out, Hightone.. .

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not heard of Hightone Records 'till now. Their website seems ok.

Congratulations Arell!! And Goode Lucke!! :thu:

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

i work very much to get my jams out to you goode folkes.
I hate the condescending sound of that. We're not your fans, at least most of us aren't, we're musicians also, so don't work that hard, OK. The recording quality of your demos is so bad, a lot of people are listening to them because they can't believe how bad they are. Fuck man, get some real recording equipment, and learn how to use it, and learn how to tune your guitar for Chis' sake.

I recently asked a label if I could send them my demo and they came back and said yes
What do you think they're going to say? Sorry we don't like music. They're a label. They accept submissions. That doesn't mean they're going to listen to it. It's like the commercials to sell cars where they say "We accept all applications". Duh? A car dealer, will accept your application, and a Label will accept your demo. That doesn't mean they'll do anything with it. It's not like someone at The Label heard your music, and asked you for your demo. Did they? They don't know you from shit. You don't need permission to present a demo, just send it.

They sent me an addy and a phone number
Uh yeah, it's on the website. There's some very cool people on HighTone Records.

Yeah, they're a good organization. Lots of good artists have gone with them.

Jimmie Dale Gilmore,

Twangbangers,

Tom Russel,

Ramblin' Jack Elliott,

Joe Ely,

Geoff Muldaur,

that I know of, have been or are with HighTone Records.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by TheWewus:

What do you think they're going to say? Sorry we don't like music. They're a label. They accept submissions. That doesn't mean they're going to listen to it. It's like the commercials to sell cars where they say "We accept all applications". Duh? A car dealer, will accept your application, and a Label will accept your demo. That doesn't mean they'll do anything with it. It's not like someone at The Label heard your music, and asked you for your demo. Did they? They don't know you from shit. You don't need permission to present a demo, just send it.

WeWus, a person actually has a better chance of having the demo heard if you first contact their people and ask if they are accepting demos. With the name of the person that accepted the offer of a submission I was able to send the demo to that person knowing that it was something they were looking for, albeit probably not very impatiently.

I ran into this issue alot when really pumping the Dakota Night Cd several years ago. Unsolicited demos generally don't get heard but if you've made contact and they've agreed to accept your demo it will get heard, or at leas a few seconds of it.

I nearly always received a relatively prompt reply stating that yes, they were accepting demos, or no, they were not.

There's no doubt that you're better off if a Label has contacted you via your music, or another referal. I found, however, that most of the outfits that contact you via your music, website & etc, want cash up front for some supposed (exposure) or demo production. Most claiming some outrageous airplay. Some of them are here in the states but many are primarilly pushing to have your music exposed in Europe, Australia or other parts of the Globe.

Essentially the only thing we actually got out of that whole thing was purported air play by some radio stations in Europe, at least they contacted me about getting cds for that purpose. Who knows if there was any airplay. We certainly don't have the means to find out and because all the songs but one were covers, with all correct credits, we wouldn't receive royalites anyway.

In Arrell's defense, he's going about the submission in the correct fashion with a much better chance of being heard than had he just thrown a demo HighTone's way.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

A'ight Bill, cool, thanks for your thoughts, that makes sense.

Arell has been spamming us since day one, and it's like people got sick of busting his chops so they just let it ride.

This is NOT a fan site, and I for one am not an arell fan. The recording quality on most of his stuff is so bad that I can't listen to it, and that's coming from a guy who is a confirmed guerilla recordist. I've gotten better quality sound on a cassette deck with a built in mic, than he has on some of the shit on his website.

A'ight Bill, cool, thanks for your thoughts, that makes sense.

Arell has been spamming us since day one, and it's like people got sick of busting his chops so they just let it ride.

This is NOT a fan site, and I for one am not an arell fan. The recording quality on most of his stuff is so bad that I can't listen to it, and that's coming from a guy who is a confirmed guerilla recordist. I've gotten better quality sound on a cassette deck with a built in mic, than he has on some of the shit on his website.

I concur, to a point. I have one of Arell's cds & some of the recordings are decent and some are pretty poor. Some of the lyrics aren't all that great but some are wonderful. Some of his guitar playing is pretty ragged. Hell, so is mine and the same things can be said about the music that I put out. It's all subjective. I listen to his CD every so often and, for the most part, enjoy the fruits of Arell's labor.

Do I get tired of seeing the "Hay Looke At Me" thing? Yeah, but I can just ignore it if I want.

Shoot Steve, he has one song that's absolutely a killer song that I would love to cover. I don't because he want's the song done only his way. Well, I don't hear the song the same way, though close, and so won't play it that way. What does that do? To me? Nothing. One more song I don't have to learn. What does it do to Arell? Not much except people here on the West Coast will not hear who wrote a great song and so he will not get some recognition and lose some plays he would probably get.

I know that with the songs I've collaborated on, stolen or covered with a different melody and some word changes, and play in my gigs the original writer usually is named either as an intro to the song or a short blurb after the tune. Ani & Salty Tonk, from these forums, are two, as well as a couple of other great writers from other times and places.

By the same token, if someone wants to cover what little stuff I've written, more power to them.

Thanks, Tonk.

[edit]Still can't spell. Hope I got them all.[/edit]

Our Joint

Maybe you shouldn't be clicking on his threads. And for somebody who has posted the absolute record number of meaningless posts, you have a lot of room to talk. And for somebody that used to be mr. comedy, you seem to have a real attitude lately. Lighten up, man.

I understand you Bill. You're a good guy, maybe arell is too.

I just don't get where arell is coming from most of the time. I see he does have talent, and I even tried to sincerely apoligize to him last week, and he came back with all this fuck you Wewus I know what you're trying to do bullshit. I wasn't doing anything except trying to relate to the guy.

I would be sincerely honored if you ever covered one of my songs.

Originally posted by stranger:

Maybe you shouldn't be clicking on his threads. And for somebody who has posted the absolute record number of meaningless posts, you have a lot of room to talk. And for somebody that used to be mr. comedy, you seem to have a real attitude lately. Lighten up, man.
You know what? I'll click on his threads if I feel like it, it's a public forum, and your definition of meaningless is obviously not everyone else's, because I've made some great friends here...... you're not one of them, you're a stranger by your own definition.

I've always had an attitude, and I've always been Mr. Comedy too. :D:mad::D:mad:

I got a copy off to the cat what sent me an Email.. We'll see in a few days if he likes anything on it.

less than three dollars for to send the package to calli..

Hi dak

I would like for you to be able to do any of my tunes you wish. Just do it.

i take it as a huge compliment that you even want to do it. As far as your arrangement of that ditty; if you think it'll fly who am I to nay say ya'. oh, right. ahahaha!

. . I just like my arrangement better is all I guess, 'cause I'm used to it..

I make my own arrangements all the time of covers and no one ever got hurt..

. So Go ahead and have fon' mon'!

P.S.

will you record a version I can hear?

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Arell, good luck. I do hope they're interested.

As to that tune, with your now given blessing, I'll put it back on the to do list and yes, I'll get a clip off to you.

Thanks mang, you know I think that's a great tune.

Our Joint

Don't call me a bitch asshole. :D

Did you not read arell when he first came on here? He got his ass jumped big time, by almost everyone here, for spamming, but people got tired of calling him on it, and he's still basically doing the same thing.

He's an attention whore. The majority of the threads he starts are about him, or his non-existent music career.

You have to at least be honest with yourself. Arell doesn't have a music career. I don't have any idea how he's surviving. I do think he has talent, but I think he needs to quit daydreaming, and deal with facts.

...I've made some great friends here...... you're not one of them...

I guess I'll just go cry in my beer. :bor:

What's your point? I've tried to be cool with you.

Of course, I don't kiss your ass and pretend your funny. Simple shit like yours belongs in a chat room.

I know how to mess with people online. I've been working on it for a while now, try me. I know some shit, for sure. I'm kind of an asshole.

First of all I try to weed out stupid people. If they won't leave then I just hassle the hell out of 'em. It works. Fuck you!

And I gotta say that's a real constructive attitude you have there. Maybe you should take that shit back to the chat room.

Don't call me a bitch asshole. :D

Did you not read arell when he first came on here? He got his ass jumped big time, by almost everyone here, but he just spamming, so people got tired of calling him on it, and he's still basically doing the same thing.

He's an attention whore. The majority of the threads he starts are about him, or his non-existent music career.

You have to at least be honest with yourself. Arell doesn't have a music career. I don't have any idea how he's surviving. I do think he has talent, but I think he needs to quit daydreaming, and deal with facts.

I think he needs to keep dreaming, because dreams are what you build reality from.

And your little soap opera posts, or the non-existent joke threads, or the general increase your post count nonsense, isn't annoying?

I wonder why nobody called you on that?

And who made you the forum police, anyway?

I have asked a bunch of labels to allow me to send them stuff and this is the first one that responded.

And it was'nt a scam response either. You know the "We'll SIGN YOU to a contract, just give us nine hundred dollars" response..

It's very exciting to send a demo off and know that in a few days they'll receive it and pop it in and who knows what might happen then?

maybe nothing happens..

maybe something happens.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Originally posted by arellspencer:

I have asked a bunch of labels to allow me to send them stuff and this is the first one that responded.

And it was'nt a scam response either. You know the "We'll SIGN YOU to a contract, just give us nine hundred dollars" response..

It's very exciting to send a demo off and know that in a few days they'll receive it and pop it in and who knows what might happen then?

maybe nothing happens..

maybe something happens.

I believe that this is the first post of yours that I've ever been able to get through. Thank you, it's quite refreshing.

And I wish you the best of luck.

So anyway arell........nevermind. You're not going to listen to anything I have to say, but I will just apologize again. I wasn't trying to do anything but that last week. I just think you're a really unusual person.

What's your major malfunction? :D

I mean really. Besides all the alcohol and drug abuse, and bad relationships, and whatever, what made you the way you are?

Tell the story. I told mine. Most everybody here knows the defining moments of my life. Tell it, if you want to. It helped me A LOT, for people to hear my stories.

We'd love to hear it

Originally posted by Wolfman PBBPaul:

Originally posted by arellspencer:

maybe nothing happens..

maybe something happens.

I believe that this is the first post of yours that I've ever been able to get through. Thank you, it's quite refreshing.

And I wish you the best of luck.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one for whom reading any of his posts was a herculean effort. Very difficult. That's why I stopped reading them; not because of spam this or that, but just because they're so damned hard to read.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by blackfish:

i think it may be a variety of a little known northern californian vernacular, the eureka shriek. Commonly caused by a heavy case of the humboldt hack. ;)

I'm just haveing a little fun. coff.... ahahaha!

and it is fun to send demos off.

it's fun to talk to folkes all over the world. and philly..

P.S.

THANKS GREG!

hey that hightone cat might be related to you GREG.. His name is ANDERSON too. Small world ain't it..

yeah... yes it is..

(song)(key of A)

it's a small world after all.

iiiit's a smallll world after alll.

it's a smallll worrrld afterrr allll !

it's a smallll,

smallll

world!

golly jee, I like that song..

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM