Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for Lynn on Your recent EQ review

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really thank that guy is gonne come on and badmouth or change his opine or review over here where no one can see it really?

a LOT of folkes would see it. and he ain't gonne do that. he explained his opine once already..

try to read between the lines. If he was honest in his appraisal and true to the reader he would have come out and said it. IT is a toy. or something like that..

If he has to give lip service to a product he does'nt really think measures up, he'll let you know unless he just lies like crazy..

so read between the lines and NEVER take one guys word for it. even if he is a big shot writer. he's just one cat. he may be biased.

maybe look for user reviews and buyer satisfaction reports.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

I dunno...I read it as a pretty favorable review. About as favorable as you can get when reviewing a product that says it emulates something else, and in this case, over 40 some-odd something else(s). His review makes me want to check it out. I see it as an alternative, a sort of tool box of preamps and compressors. It's not the same as having those exact quality tools, but it's close enough, considering some of those tools cost as much as the single unit itself.

I own it's (sort of) predecessor, the Roland MMP-2. None of the models sound like the real thing, but the preamp is good, and the models are a nice array of "character" options. That's how I view it. I would view the LC in a more intense light, but in purchasing it, I wouldn't feel like I was buying the equivalent. I'm not interested in making a Jaguar an Aston Martin, but the Jaguar can certainly get the job done.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Aliengroover-

I guess i am curious if the High dollar modelers are any better than the rest of the bunch. I was pretty disappointed with a Boss (Roland) Gt-6 pedal board I had, the models were just so Atari 1400 sounding, didn't do it for me. Similar deal with POD 2.0, just not enough really good models in the box. I wanted to see if the price really exposed revolutionary technology, or if we are trying to model our asses off to no avail. thanks for the reply sans scathing comments.

Arell-

That is the most I have ever been able to understand from one of your posts. I guess just annoy you with hopeful questions and you will forget your act eh? I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to comment on how I was wasting my time asking a question, on the EQ forum, about a recent EQ gear review. No I did really expect Mr. Lynn fuston to deem my question worthy of bending his literary ethics, but hey why fault me for trying? I hope the hook up with Hightone pans out for you. Good luck Toll-toine. :D

Originally posted by blackfish:

Aliengroover-

I guess i am curious if the High dollar modelers are any better than the rest of the bunch. I was pretty disappointed with a Boss (Roland) Gt-6 pedal board I had, the models were just so Atari 1400 sounding, didn't do it for me. Similar deal with POD 2.0, just not enough really good models in the box. I wanted to see if the price really exposed revolutionary technology, or if we are trying to model our asses off to no avail. thanks for the reply sans scathing comments.

Arell-

That is the most I have ever been able to understand from one of your posts. I guess just annoy you with hopeful questions and you will forget your act eh? I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to comment on how I was wasting my time asking a question, on the EQ forum, about a recent EQ gear review. No I did really expect Mr. Lynn fuston to deem my question worthy of bending his literary ethics, but hey why fault me for trying? I hope the hook up with Hightone pans out for you. Good luck Toll-toine. :D

hey what act?

and you were rght to ask and I was wrong to pop off about it. Sorry.

Now, what the heck does TOLL-TOINE mean?.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

no hard feelins arell. I really do hope you get a contract. Since I first came to this forum you have been searchin.

Now, Toll-toine. Well, I'm Irish. In the gaelic language Toll-toine means asshole. Now that you know I can't call you that anymore, but feel free to use it as you please. People have no idea WTF you just said to them. The look of confusion is worth more than the bite of the insult! :evil::D

Now, Toll-toine. Well, I'm Irish. In the gaelic language Toll-toine means asshole. Now that you know I can't call you that anymore, but feel free to use it as you please. People have no idea WTF you just said to them. The look of confusion is worth more than the bite of the insult! :evil::D

And how are you pronouncing it?

no hard feelins arell. I really do hope you get a contract. Since I first came to this forum you have been searchin.

Contract? fok a contract..

I don't want a contract, just a job ahahaha!

TOll TOINE.. LOL... I ain't irish although my da might have been a little..

I'm a sooner.. a heinz fiddy seven. I doubt if I'll call anyone Toll toine. it is funny though..

as far as modelers/processors go I always thought they were chintsy and not really for me.

I'd rather have the amps and cabs.

I would have a nice wah too. along with my distortion pedal and my chorus pedal. Three pedals is all I want in front of me.. . and thats two too many. ahahaha!

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Hey Mr. Fuston!

I just read your October review of a certain--to remain nameless :evil: --channel strip, or multi-strip. Lets call it the Solid Channel, as I don't want to cause any problems with the lawyers. I wanted to ask how you felt it really measured up. It seemed to me that your review showed it in a less than favorable light. Sure you said it came close to the models, but how close? Is this a similar situation to the POD? Where for the broke project musician, you can get a solution to your tonal needs, but if you have any money to spend you are much better off spending it on the actual gear? I guess what i'm asking is: Is this piece of equipment of enough quality to justify a purchase? Or is one better to find the vintage/reissue hardware itself? Is this thing a "toy for the masses" or a serious studio tool. I got the impression its kind of a toy from your review.

Hello to you too.

It was in print so everyone knows it's the Liquid Channel. Don't sweat it. Even Focusrite have changed the names of the individual preamp "models" in the unit so as to avoid any potential problems.

How close? That's a tough question. It depends so much on the listener's acuity. Let's consider what I call the "sliding scale of acceptability." If you are just starting out, you're probably in Phase 1, wowed by the potential and sound of a Mackie/ADAT combination. As you mature (speaking in terms of making records-some of us never mature), you enter the second phase and will likely find the previous gear less acceptable and search for better gear. As you get better, you move on to Phase III, which is Gear Snob and nothing will do except for vintage originals.

So whether or not you think it is "good" depends on where you are on that scale. I like great gear but try to keep an open mind and consider everything using my ears only.

I think it's an amazing product, very capable of delivering what it promises in varying degrees of acceptability, depending on which model you are listening to.

If you are really interested in digging deeper, then I would suggest you check out the Unabridged Liquid Channel Review , which is posted as a pdf on my site. (You will have to be a 3dB member to access it though. (Click here to sign up. It's $25 per calendar year for access to interviews, sound samples, reviews and more.) The original LC review was over 7 pages long and had to be edited to fit into the magazine. You will find that it is not "sugar coated" at all. It diplomatically but accurately spells it out, good and bad.

If you want to hear what it can sound like, check out the

3D WebStore and order a copy of the "i,replica" CD which has female voice recordings through 7 classic preamps and the models thereof. There are also samples of the other 32 preamps included in the LC.

Those would be my suggestions.

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

Archived