Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CSN? Young and, uh, McCartney?

From David Gross' "Punmaster's Music Wire" newsletter...

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Admitting to being intimidated in the presence

of a

former Beatle, Neil Young joined forces with Paul McCartney on Thursday

to

perform at a $500-per-seat fundraiser to raise awareness of land mines.

Surrounded by a half-dozen guitars and a banjo, Young played an

acoustic set

featuring such nuggets as "Pocahontas," "Heart of Gold," "Harvest Moon"

and

"Four Strong Winds" with occasional help from wife Pegi on backing

vocals.

McCartney, with a full band, followed with a diverse set of Beatles

classics

such as "Drive My Car," "Blackbird," "Michelle" and "Get Back," as well

as

more obscure material like the pre-Beatles tune "In Spite of All the

Danger"

and the John Lennon tribute "Here Today."

Young joined him twice on stage at the Century Plaza Hotel, first for a

duet

on the former's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" and later to play

along as

McCartney closed the evening after midnight with "Hey Jude."

"We have a bit of fun but, as you can see, we do a lot of good along

the

way," McCartney told the crowd. "That's one of the magic things ...

When

you've worked hard and you've had a lot of luck, you get to a position,

where Neil and I are at, you can do a little bit more. It's a magic

thing."

The event benefited Adopt-A-Minefield, for which McCartney and his wife

Heather Mills are goodwill ambassadors and patrons. The group helps

clear

minefields in such countries as Vietnam, Croatia and Iraq, and assists

survivors of land mine accidents. An auction hosted by Jay Leno raised

about

$125,000, including $6,000 for one of Young's saliva-laced harmonicas.

"You

can clone your own Neil Young," Leno said.

A grim Mills, an amputee herself, told the crowd that governments

risked

turning young victims of bombs and unexploded ordinances into bitter

and

vengeful people, and that "electing the right president" would help the

situation.

Among the diners of the vegetarian fare were Stephen Stills, Michael

Douglas

and Catherine Zeta-Jones, Steve Buscemi, Pamela Anderson and Bill

Maher.

McCartney and Young will reunite on Oct. 23 and 24 during Young's 18th

annual Bridge School benefit concert at the Shoreline Amphitheater in

Mountain View, Calif.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how many mine fields will get cleaned up and out?

I know those fat cats made money and funneled off a lot for greed induced purposes.

you can't just clean up a minefield you gots to help all the folkes who got blowed up too.

More importantly WHOSE MINES were they? ours or theirs?

and yeah it do mattah.. a lot.

I won't play at funerals and I won't play for suspect charities and yes even smartypants mcartney and his buddy the drool monster can get took.

I'd have to know the money RAKED in went to a single group of expert landmine folkes.

NOT to an account with fifteen names on it and then to a committee(BLEED) and then to a subcomittee(bleed)then to a companie from overseas which bleeds even more off and two or three comittees and sub-comitiees over there,bleed,bleed,bleed...

Then they end up hireing a native with a cow and a long stick who sits in a chair drinking sake' and gets his useless daughters out there with short sticks pokeing till they "find one".. and even then only a small minefield gets seen to. and then it's "oh so sorry the money is all gone, very good, ey, lets do more business joe hey!

or not...

maybe they have a really goode system for not getting took.. maybe..

DEEP THINKING

War is really irresponsible.

ENDING WAR

we could stop all war by haveing all our guys go kick all their guys asses.. yeah that'd show them damn foreigners..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Arell,

You're way out of line on this one.

Paul McCartney and his 2nd wife have been staunch supporters of the campaign to remove land mines from those countries for years. People are maimed and killed by mines that were left behind by war and other fighting. The mines "belong" to many countries, though I'm unsure whether the U.S. has been accused of leaving live mines anywhere.

The military in Kandahar were adamant that we not attempt to pick up any metal objects while in Afghanistan. The USSR had placed many anti-personnel mines, some of which were never fired, even in 2002. These are not round mines like you see in WWII movies. They are odd shaped pieces of metal that blow up in your hand when you pick them up. (An injured soldier, in terms of war, is worth 3 people because it usually takes two to tend to the injured. So many of these small scale mines were deployed.) This is a very real issue for people living in former war torn lands.

Check out the charity\'s webpage for more information.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I really enjoy reading about celebrities and their charity work, regardless of what anyone might feel about their effect or lack thereof, or their motivations. It's pretty easy to say "it doesn't work and nothing gets done", but at least they are trying.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by fantastic-hound of the Baskervilles:

Arell,

You're way out of line on this one.

Paul McCartney and his 2nd wife have been staunch supporters of the campaign to remove land mines from those countries for years. People are maimed and killed by mines that were left behind by war and other fighting. The mines "belong" to many countries, though I'm unsure whether the U.S. has been accused of leaving live mines anywhere. This is a very real issue for people living in former war torn lands.

Check out the charity\'s webpage for more information.

Being out of line is really easy around here..

seems like when ever I voice an opine it's out of line.

I either need to FOLLOW the LEADER ahahaha! or type less.. ahahaha!

but seriously folkes,

All kudos to sir and all, I was only wondering how the mines were seen to.

Like you said how do you remove something you cain't touch?

I just wonder'd if the money raised was truely effective or just was made to appear that way for HYPE and all.

Cause we all know NO ONE smart ever gets scammed.

Expecially not well intentioned rich folkes.

Seems like an IMPOSSIBLE TASK to remove mines from an entire country.

It would take a MASSIVE total country wide effort.

NOT some spotty mine fields that have been mostly worked and reworked and reports and more reports stateing the same reworded phrases.

Progress reports, really with a lot of data but not much progress? you know them kindes?

A site where you see three or four guys with new metel detectors just ain't goode enough. You need sattelite sonar help to finde them in a gridlike area.

You need thousands of folkes with bomb disposal equiptment in a country where the forest has grown up.

It is a HERCULEAN EFFORT to say the least.

To hear CROWING about some stars raiseing money ain't good enough.

I wanna see some results. Crow about some results..

How many were removed and disarmed last year? the year before> this year?

Hopw many folkes were helped? do you care? or is all you wanna hear about is the NEWS of how wonderful pauly and his wife are by haveing a big smiling sing-a-long party to raise a few paltry bucks for victims of explosive armament left by irresponsible and unfeeling/uncareing GOVERNMENTS.

I see the need for awareness and action. I just wonder what the action is.. really.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

This was an effort that was also spearheaded by the late Princess Diana. She didn't just lend her name and image to the cause. She visited places around the globe that were in the process of being cleared while speaking out for legislation against land mines. I know they are effective, but too often they take out our friends rather than foes, and then there is the clean up.

Being a skeptic is one thing, but this is a well documented cause that has been reported in the news for at least a decade.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I understand Arell's point, that many charities are skimmed at so many levels, so as to render ineffective the amount of money that actually does get to do the job.

Right now, we're in the middle of the Combined Federal Campaign...the way us government workers "give at the office". We get a catalog brimful of various and sundry charities...and the neatest thing is that there's a little percentage affixed to say just how much of your donation dollar goes to admin costs. When I get a chance, I'll see if that particular charity is listed, and report what percentage goes to admin.

I'm glad the only landmines I have to worry about are the ones left by the neighbor's dog.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The mines "belong" to many countries, though I'm unsure whether the U.S. has been accused of leaving live mines anywhere.

In Laos alone some 9 million unexploded munitions are estimated to have killed or injured

approximately 11,000 persons since 1975.

The USA ever refused to help Laos to remove the leftovers after the war in Vietnam.

I saw a documentary on tv on Laos and cluster bombs. Very sad seeing this childrens who survived such a explosion.

here a Red Cross report on Kosovo:

http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/p0780//ICRC_002_0780.PDF?Open

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont has led opposition to International landmines. His site:

http://leahy.senate.gov/issues/landmines/index.html

gives links to the problem and demonstrates the reasons why governments have been neither good nor consistent in dealing with the problem.

here are other charities that McCartney supports:

http://www.mplcommunications.com/mccartney/charity.htm

maybe some people won't like these either...

the site of the ICRC is very informative:

http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/mines

Landmine report:

http://www.icbl.org/lm/2003/

New lives with new legs:

http://www.icrc.org/Web/Eng/siteeng0.nsf/iwpList108/5B7A66B0FEDCED1841256C830037EFAF

really depressing !

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

paul might be wantin' to do something buttah' whats his paltry few bucks gonne do.. Look at this page right here about one mined area thats seven hundred and fifty miles long

It has more than twenty types of landmines identified so far, estimated between 4 and 6 MILLION in number.

this is monsterous. This is horrible.

paul cain't touch this..

Entire governments useing strictly condemned criminals could'nt touch this. and thats only one country. what about the folkes who aint' gonne want you to clean 'em up.

you know and I know and I hope sir mop head knows that there are folkes who wish them to stay. .

this is going to take a cleansing like the great flood of 0000.. you know? and even then.. this is really bad.. for all except war mongers. See the really bad part is landmines are'nt really designed with killing in minde.

More like:"Lets think of a weapon to inflict massive damage on unsuspecting "soldiers" but not kill them in order to force the weak knee'ed enemy to have to use up all it's supplies and energy and manpower taking care of severly maimed men and women.

LANDMINES :the weapon that keeps on maiming long after the soldiers leave.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Originally posted by arellspencer:

paul might be wantin' to do something buttah' whats his paltry few bucks gonne do...

So he should do nothing?

Last time I checked, the wisdom of social action was, "Think Globally, Act Locally". Now Paul may be using his money to help someone else's locality, but the goal is the same. Clean up this problem in the world one tract at a time. And by doing so, hopefully others with money and power will follow suit to help make a dent in the problem.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

If he was able to get one mine out and keep it from hurting someone then I applaud him for being a goode humanitarian and world servant.

We should all try to change the world.

I know I do.

One person at the time.

unless we try to improve our lot, we are pigs. unless we try asa hard'a asa we can'a to keep from falling backwards into a pit of uncareing life spoiled miscreants we will.

If I knew how to reach governments to pick up mines or feed folkes or give out medicine and supply doctors, build lion proof homes and the like I would..

I wish to donate to landmines dot com but I want to know how the money is spent.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Sure,.. let's raise money to clear landmines in the East while in L.A. U.S.A and London U.K. children are being killed by other children.

I'll never get foreign policies ,..never....

Why the F^^K do you want the fields in vietnam to be clean but the street next to yours not?

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Originally posted by arellspencer:

paul might be wantin' to do something buttah' whats his paltry few bucks gonne do...

So he should do nothing?

Last time I checked, the wisdom of social action was, "Think Globally, Act Locally". Now Paul may be using his money to help someone else's locality, but the goal is the same. Clean up this problem in the world one tract at a time. And by doing so, hopefully others with money and power will follow suit to help make a dent in the problem.

Paul McCartney is a billonaire, so I think I'd call that more than a paltrey few bucks, plus he's one of the most famous, and loved people on this planet, so yes if he gets behind anything it will have a measurable effect.

Originally posted by boosh:

Sure,.. let's raise money to clear landmines in the East while in L.A. U.S.A and London U.K. children are being killed by other children.

Why the F^^K do you want the fields in vietnam to be clean but the street next to yours not?

This insinuates that no one doing anything about problems here in the U.S., Boosh. That would be a fallacy.

Foreign policies, if you really care, are predicated on the notion that no country is an island. (Even if, physically, they are literally an island. :D ) By your philosophy, the U.S. should stop giving aid to all countries and concnetrate solely on its' domestic problems. While that would be great for domestic issues, how do you think the rest of the world would take it? If you think we're unpopular now, just imagine how bad it would get if we kept all our money to ourselves.

Besides, last time I checked Paul McCartney and his wife, Heather Mills, are both Britons. So what is your point? :confused:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by boosh:

This insinuates that no one doing anything about problems here in the U.S., Boosh. That would be a fallacy.

Foreign policies, if you really care, are predicated on the notion that no country is an island. (Even if, physically, they are literally an island. :D ) By your philosophy, the U.S. should stop giving aid to all countries and concnetrate solely on its' domestic problems. While that would be great for domestic issues, how do you think the rest of the world would take it? If you think we're unpopular now, just imagine how bad it would get if we kept all our money to ourselves.

Besides, last time I checked Paul McCartney and his wife, Heather Mills, are both Britons. So what is your point? :confused:

London U.K. is not Briton?

Last time I checked CSN&Y we're american,....

I'm not at home now so can't write a lot,..I'll get back to ya.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Ok. I see London in your post now. Sorry, the conversation had revolved around Macca, so I missed your reference to Neil Young.

Still, I don't get how you equate a push to help people in another country with a lack of effort in the big cities of the U.S. and U.K.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived