Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I feel so dirty

I had a recording gig down in the Chicago area this week end. Nice gig. A small choral group doing a Christmas CD.

Well..... my nephew did an internship at CRC this past summer (Chicago Recording Company) and told me he could get me a small mixer for monitoring purposes only from "a guy he knows", as I was going directly from the pre's into the recorder.

You know where this is heading. He didn't get the mixer.

So.......

I ended up at a guitar center buying a Berringer 12-0 something pro-fx.

It was only 135 bucks....and I ..... I can't get the dirty feeling off of me.

Berringer. I promised myself I would never go there. But I couln't rent anything for as little as that.

The question is.... will I go to hell for this or is there salvation?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just used it to monitor though, right?

I actually had to RECORD through one once (the 1604 knock-off). I have to admit, it didn't sound as bad as I thought it would. I actually got complimented on the recording.

0096 2251 2110 8105

Originally posted by jackpine:

I had a recording gig down in the Chicago area this week end. Nice gig. A small choral group doing a Christmas CD.

Well..... my nephew did an internship at CRC this past summer (Chicago Recording Company) and told me he could get me a small mixer for monitoring purposes only from "a guy he knows", as I was going directly from the pre's into the recorder.

So.......

Berringer. I promised myself I would never go there. But I couln't rent anything for as little as that.

You are definitely going to hell :evil::evil::evil:

So.......

That's too bad. I wish you'd been able to ask us for assistance. I probably could have helped you out. Where did you record them?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantastic-hound of the Baskervilles:

That's too bad. I wish you'd been able to ask us for assistance. I probably could have helped you out. Where did you record them?

Thanks Neil,

I really did think of going online and asking for a little help down there but it was a matter of timing.

The session was set up in the music room of one of the performers. She's a piano teacher with a nice Yamaha grand in a pretty large room with a good 20 foot tall ceiling.

I've given a listen this morning on my Adams back in the studio and it looks as tho the whole recording came out great.

Originally posted by fantastic-hound of the Baskervilles:

Thanks Neil,

I really did think of going online and asking for a little help down there but it was a matter of timing.

The session was set up in the music room of one of the performers. She's a piano teacher with a nice Yamaha grand in a pretty large room with a good 20 foot tall ceiling.

I've given a listen this morning on my Adams back in the studio and it looks as tho the whole recording came out great.

Glad it seems to have worked. But where (not as in which room of whose house. :D ) did you record? Were you in Chicago? A near or far suburb? Just interested if you were anywhere near where I grew up. If so I could suggest several people to assist you if you ever come back. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I was recording in Crystal Lake and staying at my sisters house in Barrington.

Crystal Lake, Barrington... not so close to my old stomping grounds on the far north and northwest side of town. But not that far either. ;)

So, what.. did you come down Rte 12 from Lake Geneva on your way into town? If so, you drove right near my inlaws' home in Lake Villa. Unfortunately, no one I know there could've helped you with your mixer dilemma. The nearest assistance would've been in Wheeling/Buffalo Grove area. Still worth noting if you come back down.

(Teamster voice:) Sure I can hook you up wit a quality mix-a. ;)

Again, glad it worked out.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm surprised you didn't know about the "GC rental policy" - buy it, use it, return it within 30 days for the refund. I've actually had guys at GC SUGGEST this to me in the past. :eek: I have never done it (I'd feel too guilty), but I know others who have.

Glad the gig went okay... and I doubt you're going to hell over it... but I would wash my hands a lot for the next few days. ;):D

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I'm surprised you didn't know about the "GC rental policy" - buy it, use it, return it within 30 days for the refund. I've actually had guys at GC SUGGEST this to me in the past. :eek: I have never done it (I'd feel too guilty), but I know others who have.

Glad the gig went okay... and I doubt you're going to hell over it... but I would wash my hands a lot for the next few days. ;):D

We had a similar policy at MARS. Only had to ban a few people from buying gear at our store for abusing the policy, but they did get banned.

One studio in Berry Hill, right next door to our location, used to come in and "buy" AKG Solid Tube and other high $$$ mics, use them on gigs, then return them. Assholes, if you ask me. If you want to rent something go ahead and pay for the rental. This is exactly why GC often puts people through the ringer regarding their 10 or 15% restocking fee. The policy is supposed to help you purchase what you want and need, not assist jerks to defraud the store. Despite what some of you might think, that doesn't hurt GC much, but it sure hurts the salesman who's trying to make a living and put food on his table by working there. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you don't abuse this policy, Phil.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived