Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

City living

[quote]Originally posted by Flea man: [b] I'll tell you what we don't have to worry about in L.A: No "Good 'ol Boys" Less discrimination...more tolerance Etc. [/b][/quote] Beg your pardon? The Rodney King riots happened WHERE? I lived in L.A. for most of my life until moving to Atlanta in '92. I lived in Venice Beach - yeah, that's all about peace and tolerance, right? WRONG! I saw stuff like the Rodney King incident happen in my neighborhood ALL THE TIME... not to mention friends of mine getting pulled over and roughhoused by cops for having long hair (oh, they MUST be drug dealers/users). I've never seen such racism and general Big-Brotherism here in Atlanta as I saw in some of the outlying areas around L.A. either: Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Orange County. Everybody in L.A. told me I was crazy to move to the south with all the "racism and intolerance". THREE DAYS after I left L.A. the Rodney King riots happened - talk about timing! Guess what, intolerance is everywhere. And in L.A., the biggest intolerance of all is intolerance of the POOR. Doesn't seem to matter as much what race you are in that case - if you don't have money, drive a beat up car, live in a bad neighborhood, etc., you're screwed. And anyway, I really hate earthquakes. :D --Lee

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b] Well, the exact type of Christian Wacko I was referring to is pretty rare out here...not that they aren't here...I just never see them. They're ALL OVER the south and pretty common anywhere rural. [/b][/quote] Oh Brother ... I haven't run into any here in Charlotte, NC and I'm originally from Detroit. [quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b] Anyway...I was just casually commenting on that because it's a major part of what made me move away from the south. I agree we DON'T need another crazy religious thread.[/b][/quote] Yeah! Cooler heads must prevail. Agree to disagree and all that. Rob'ILoveTheCity'T

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

GREAT PICS Mr.me! I also love a good sunset. One of the things i love so much about it up here is the size of the sky. The sunsets are fabulous, the stars, the Northern lights. In the summer when it's light till 2am it is just incredible. The sun sets for 4 hours and the stays below the horizon for 1/2 an hour and then off you go again with another beautiful day. A great trick to play on newcomers, if you have to drive a long distance; is to say to them at around 7pm...."ok, you drive till it's dark and then i'll take over"! Funny as hell.

Lee Flier wrote: [quote] [b]Beg your pardon? The Rodney King riots happened WHERE?[/b] [/quote] True it happened in L.A. It was really a very general observation...you know, I could say we don't have KKK parades, but we do have gay parades. Maybe we have less tolerance for a KKK parade and more tolerance for a gay parade. Never been to Atlanta, so I'm certainly not going to comment on that. Not sure if your part of Atlanta qualifies as country living or suburban living? 'Cause country vs. City livin was whats we talking about. "Good 'ol boys" is really about the good ol' boys sticking together in a small country town--including the sheriff and maybe "excluding" some of the "other" country folk--or outsiders. The sheriff tends to treat some people that he knows (and likes) for 20-30 years differently...and in a small town, he knows just about everyone, hence the comment. Maybe I watch too much T.V., but I sense some of this stuff still goes on somewhere USA. As for the Big city? The only people the cops know well on the street are people that they don't like. As for me, I've been young, long hair, shitty car...got some tickets, but never really harassed. I don't know anyone personally in the 30 years that I've lived here that has really been harassed---but I know it happens...and I'm sure it happens elsewhere... Venice is a tough neighborhood---I lived there as a kid and there are some tough gangs in some bad parts of Venice. And the cops do tend to treat "apparent" gangbangers differently. Flea man

[quote]Originally posted by MisterMe: [b][img]http://misterelectro.com/pictures/goodsunset1.jpg[/img] God I love a good sunset. I'll stop now. :) [/b][/quote] That can't be for real.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Flea man: [b] True it happened in L.A. It was really a very general observation...you know, I could say we don't have KKK parades, but we do have gay parades. Maybe we have less tolerance for a KKK parade and more tolerance for a gay parade.[/b][/quote] Again, not my observation. I've only ever seen one KKK rally since I moved here, and it was out in a rural area north of Atlanta. And there were probably more protesters there than Klan members. That was almost 10 years ago and I haven't seen one since. On the other hand Atlanta has a huge gay population and an annual Pride parade not unlike the one on Santa Monica Blvd. [quote][b]Never been to Atlanta, so I'm certainly not going to comment on that. Not sure if your part of Atlanta qualifies as country living or suburban living? 'Cause country vs. City livin was whats we talking about.[/b][/quote] Where I live it's suburban, but very close to the city and very diverse. There are people from something like 12 different countries on my block, it's pretty cool. Also 3 gay couples, and some plain ol' southern folks both black and white. And yes, "we all just get along". :D [quote][b]"Good 'ol boys" is really about the good ol' boys sticking together in a small country town--including the sheriff and maybe "excluding" some of the "other" country folk--or outsiders. The sheriff tends to treat some people that he knows (and likes) for 20-30 years differently...and in a small town, he knows just about everyone, hence the comment. Maybe I watch too much T.V., but I sense some of this stuff still goes on somewhere USA.[/b][/quote] Yeah it does. It goes on in lots of small towns ALL OVER the US... yes, people in bigger cities (and college towns) tend to be more "tolerant" but that is not something exclusive to L.A. or N.Y. That was my point. And "good ol' boys" and racists and rednecks aren't only from the South either. There are just as many of them in Thousand Oaks or Newport Beach. --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by NYC Drew: [b] close proximity to Orchard Beach [/b][/quote] Oof I wouldn't brag about that...at least mention Jones Beach which is not in NYC but OB? Oye vay! It has to be 1 of the worst beaches I've ever been to! So loud/noisy with a boom box every 3 feet; who knows what's in that water (which is usually too cold), and just some whacked people there in general. Yuck. I shudder to think about that place--and it's about 5 minutes from me...bleck... Well, I came from Hartford, CT, and lived in a suburb (Wethersfield, where my folks just built a new house). What can I say? Yawn. Strip malls, Home Depot's, Walmart's, megaplex movie theaters, TGI Friday's, TCBY's, Chili's, 15K seat arena for occasional concerts and Uconn games, Denny's... Hartford? Best known for insurance, closing at 5:00 PM and the Whalers (uhh the hockey team--anyone remember them--now in Carolina)!!! Now I live in a bedroom community to NYC (Pelham/New Rochelle/Mount Vernon/Yonkers area) and although the part I live in is fairly residential, midtown is a 25-30 (ok 40 on a bad day) drive, or a 30 minute train ride...besides the crappy weather, how can you go wrong? Besides, just wait a minute and it'll change... Rents are a little cheaper than NYC but when you have to factor in that you need a car, insurance, parking fees, it kind of evens out...plus property taxes are outrageous but I still rent...

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] Beg your pardon? The Rodney King riots happened WHERE? THREE DAYS after I left L.A. the Rodney King riots happened - talk about timing! [/b][/quote] i heard the underground in atlanta lit up like a torch that day... i was in town at the dead shows.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

ahhhh, it's so nice to here everyone's vibe on their cities, & what lovely sunsets, tho it seems that you all live in the US. So just hang in there a mo, I will create a super long post over the next day (keep dropping my net connection tonight) or so and we will do a little world tour... first we'll visit beautiful sunny Sydney, Oz, then off to Dakar, Senengal. Then finally a tour of big old London.... one thing I will say about living in a big city is that I miss seeing [b]all[/b] the stars at night..... SteveRB what is it you are interested in seeing in London? peace, natty[img]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/fk/butterfly.gif[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by kudyba: [b] Oof I wouldn't brag about that...at least mention Jones Beach which is not in NYC but OB? Oye vay! It has to be 1 of the worst beaches I've ever been to! So loud/noisy with a boom box every 3 feet; who knows what's in that water (which is usually too cold), and just some whacked people there in general. Yuck. I shudder to think about that place--and it's about 5 minutes from me...bleck....[/b][/quote] Kudyba, That was you???!!!!! :eek: :p ;) I thouhgt you looked a bit familiar at the dinner. That was me and my (extended) Jamaican family doing our best to replicate a day at the beach in Hellshire Beach, Jamaica. Sorry man, and just for the record, the boom boxes were there because the city marshalls said we couldn't put the sound system (12 x double 18" scoops) out on the grass. Sorry again. Next year we're going to FDR park upstate in Yorktown. Consider yourself warned.... :D NYC Drew [ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: NYC Drew ]

[quote]Originally posted by NYC Drew: [b] Kudyba, That was you???!!!!! :eek: :p ;) I thouhgt you looked a bit familiar at the dinner. That was me and my (extended) Jamaican family doing our best to replicate a day at the beach in Hellshire Beach, Jamaica. Sorry man, and just for the record, the boom boxes were there because the city marshalls said we couldn't put the sound system (12 x double 18" scoops) out on the grass. [/b][/quote] Nah must've been a different day...the days I went it was salsa and merengue hell (or heaven depending on your preference) and there was arm wrestling at the stage 1 day and a live salsa band on another...

MisterMe, you might consider the central Rockies, if you want to keep your sunsets, big sky, and have some city. I moved from Indianapolis (born and raised; nice place to be, just not for me) to Denver a few years ago, and I really dig the ability to have a city life but take short drives and be in the middle of some fabulous views, climb mountains, soak in hot springs. An hour away, and I can go to Estes Park, and feel like I'm in another part of the world. I live downtown. My past two jobs were within walking distance...hell, my last job--post-production facility--had my office on the 50th floor, with the Rocky Mountains as my view. If I want to change my surroundings, a half-hour drive (if that), and I'm in the mountains, looking down at the city as it appears about the size of a half-dollar. We get some days where the brown cloud develops, but it tends to hover above the city, not actually descend on it. And if you do check out Denver, leave your raincoat and 'brella in storage. Nice and dry here (but not too dry). yeah, I wish Denver had a little more supply of character; when I read about people describing Philly or Manhattan or Seattle or SF, I get a bit jealous of all the pockets of charm they seem to exude, but the balance of life vs. work vs. environment is pretty fulfilled here, for me (at least, if I can find another job soon).
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Halljams, I looked for your light on that satillite photo - you need to hold it up a little higher. BTW, what do people from the Yukon call themselves, Yukonites, Yukonians? I've always thought that if the USA had been founded in the twentieth century, our national anthem might be "This Land is Your Land". I lived five miles from pavement for eight years and it was great, but I sometimes look at the fork in the road and wonder what I'd be doing now if I moved from Kansas to Austin, TX as I almost did. I visited a friend there later and thought it would have been really cool, as the music scene is so vibrant there. I lived in Paris one summer ('69) and could have stayed much longer. Culture was just everywhere. You make your world where you are. Namaste' Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

[quote]Originally posted by henrysb3: [b]Halljams, I looked for your light on that satillite photo - you need to hold it up a little higher. BTW, what do people from the Yukon call themselves, Yukonites, Yukonians? I've always thought that if the USA had been founded in the twentieth century, our national anthem might be "This Land is Your Land". I lived five miles from pavement for eight years and it was great, but I sometimes look at the fork in the road and wonder what I'd be doing now if I moved from Kansas to Austin, TX as I almost did. I visited a friend there later and thought it would have been really cool, as the music scene is so vibrant there. I lived in Paris one summer ('69) and could have stayed much longer. Culture was just everywhere. You make your world where you are. Namaste' Henry[/b][/quote] Yukoners, i think. I doubt you could see the light from my igloo window from a satellite. I just burn one match at a time so as to conserve. In the summer we use the fireflies if and when it gets a bit dark. I agree that it doesn't matter where you are, it's who you are. Although, there are many places that are beautiful, that i could never live because they just don't have a musical community or one that is interested and open minded to art. We have a pretty wide open arts scene here, and many folks who support it and participate in it. There are some world class musicians and studios, and if you want to gig, you generally can set it up in a heartbeat. I lived in Vancouver BC Canada for 11 years.(3rd largest city in Canada) I was apart of the music scene. Went to School. I enjoyed Watching what was a somewhat bizarre free jazz scene for a few years. The culture is incredibly diverse in Vancouver. It is a real melting pot. Unfortunatley the music scene is reminicent of the Hockey team. Lots of potential, but for some unknown reason, no gas. There are many great jazz musicians in Van. As well as many great blues and rock players. There is a great interest in various ethnic musics as well, as the Jazz fest each year continually proves. But Personally i found it depressing after a while. I hate making $200 a week from music if your lucky. I hate the fact that some of the most amazing musicians i have ever heard are only making 20,000 a year. It just seemed like too big of a stuggle, and for what. I can do the things i want to do and play as much as i want and actually make more money playing in a place that has fresh air, no traffic, Nice people,and a supportive community. I used to think it was cool to be a small fish in a big pond because the competition was greater and i would improve faster etc etc. I've changed my mind in recent years. I enjoy knowing people at the supermarket. I enjoy being apart of a smaller scene with less competition. I still do what i have always done but with less resistance. In fact i do way more and enjoy it more. I feel more free to do things in a more original way because there are less boundries. I think that is healthy creativly for me. I also have another buisness which flourishes here that i could never get off the ground in Van. I dunno, it just works for me here. I feel very fortunate. It is real cool to hear everyone talk about their homes, very enjoyable reading. Cheers

Archived