Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I may be way off base here...

Hello everyone. I've only posted twice here, but have been reading off and on for a while. And, I've noticed the threads on this board tend to go all over the place. (Except for politics...)

I have a literary question and while I know this is not a literary forum, I figured I'd give it a shot.

In one of the writing classes I'm taking, we're workshopping a story called City Boy. In the story, the narrator makes reference to Shakespeare's King Lear: "Off ye lendings" and "... The greatest play about a naked man..."

Does anyone know if the following quote is also from King Lear?

"The unaccommodated thing itself."

Within the context of the story, it's referring to the narrator getting thrown out of his girlfriend's apartment, naked in down town Manhattan, and trying to get on the subway.

I'm just at my wits end and figured maybe someone here would know, or could point me somewhere to try and look it up. (Yes, I've tried all kinds of quote searches and Shakespeare sites).

Thanks in advance.

"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards."

-Robert Heinlein

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Thou art the thing itself: unaccommodated man is no more but such a poor, bare, fork'd animal as thou art".

Oh yes, indeedy!!

Gotta love this forum, eh :D

erm...Act 3, scene 4.

J. Eliot Howe (Chief Gear-Pimp)

Guitaravenue L.L.C.

http://www.bartleby.com/

Is a great resource for searches on classics or well-known quotes.

It is an enormous site and the searches are kind of modal depending on where you are in the site.

http://www.bartleby.com/70/ would be my first choice for a text search for

Willie the Shake. Searching on "unaccommodated" is enough to find the reference.

Oh, brother. :rolleyes:

Look, it's pretty common knowledge around here that O'Keefe is an idiot who doesn't have even the slightest clue about what he's yammering on about. We mostly just ignore him (y'know... cuckoo! :freak: )

Most folks think the same thing about that lunatic Lee Flier. In fact, local rumor has it that Leef and Pokee share a single brain! Freaky.

Anyway, Stranger, here's the actual answer to your question, "what's 3073 x 47?"

It's 144431.0000000000001372684

Perhaps Pokee's calculator isn't very precise. Who knows?

Anyway, there you have it.

Hope this was confusing.

Archived