Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bose Radio/CD Player for home... best?

The Bose system you see in all the adds... their advertising budget must be huge for this thing. About $500. Small footprint. It's been around for several years now. Is it really as good as they claim? Is there an alterative that is better or less expensive?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duke, > The Bose system ... About $500 ... Is there an alterative that is better or less expensive? < Anything else is better [i]and[/i] less expensive. :) The Bose is okay for its small size, but it doesn't have great lows or great highs. I've seen standard boomboxes selling for $100-200 that are at least as good or better. --Ethan

The Bose has better sound quality than any boombox - sorry Ethan -but it won't compete with a boombox in terms of volume and punch. The Bose does NOT sounds as nice as a quality component stereo system (let me underscore the word [i]quality[/i], but for the SPACE that the thing takes up, it's amazing. My single pet peeve is the lack of tone controls. The only way to get it to match the sound of a room is to move it around. [ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Dan South ]

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Someone I know just got one. My son, a car stereo afficianado, said the sound was amazing for it's size. However, there are apparently placement no-nos mentioned in the instructions that came w/it. He said when the unit was moved around, the differences in sound quality was drastic. Steve

When Mars dumped the Bose pro audio line (They sold 801, 401, and the matching sub, along with the proprietary processors.)someone sold the 401 display set, with the funky carry case. A month or two prior I'd found this display model's included active black-box eq processor hiding in the stock room. Apparently no one was aware it existed, as the separate, rackmount processors were in use, on display. After a futile search to identify the customer and deliver this item, they finally let me have it. 2 1/4" inputs, 2 1/4" outputs, 110v power plug, no controls. Mimicking a friend's use of a similar old Raamsa PA processor, I plugged it in to the stereo effects loop of my guitar amp, with my acoustic plugged in. It sounds wonderful! A definite improvement on all settings I've ever dialed up. Sounds kinda like an aural exciter. (Remember, the main use of this box was to filter out low freq's before the 401's.) I was never impressed with Bose speakers, and the drivers blow too easily, but I love my "magic box."

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I like the Boses for alot of things , but perform this test before you get it or you may feel ripped off! put on an album with alot of semi essy type content (modern pop like celine dion). Basically my mother has one of these units and I loved it until I happened to kind of walk to an adjoining room. The sound drifting in sounded horribly essy. Now, even when I'm in the room it sounds way upper treble hyped on alot of modern pop. Albums that sounded fine before, i put one in and it's like "SSSargeant Peppersss Lonely Heartsss...

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

I bought one as a gift to a friend when he got his own office at work. Wehn I heard it in his office, I thought it sounded pretty good, though the bass response is not what I'm used to. He listens to old Miles Davis recordings (he's even older than I am), so it doesn't matter, and he loves it. It does seem very well made, and the speaker design depends on reflection inside the unit, so I'm not surprised that adjusting room placement makes a big difference. Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived