Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bagpipe? Lee, I need your brain

Okay, I'm pretty good at identifying sounds on recordings. Pretty damn good. I can usually tell you with accuracy what kind of signal chain was used -- guitar, amp, mic, effect, whatever -- when I hear a song for the first time.

But every time I hear "Jumping Jack Flash", I am convinced I hear a bagpipe come in at a couple of places in the tune. Am I insane? Okay, yes, I may be insane in any case. But is that really a bagpipe? My ears tell me yes, but logic tells me no.

- Jeff

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually it's a sitar. Brian Jones did this drony sitar thing and I believe they ran it through a cassette recorder to make it distort (as they did with the guitars). You can hear this a little more clearly at the end of "Street Fightin' Man."

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Lee, I need your brain...

HEY - I already have to timeshare "our" brain... we're not adding another person to the shared brain club - no matter HOW cool you are! :mad:;)

Oh, how generous of you. :D

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Da HalloWeasel:

If you're so smart, O'Keefe, how come you didn't jump in first with the "sitar drone through a cassette recorder" answer?

Cuz I had the brain this week. I have to give it back to Phil tomorrow night, so he will answer all your bagpipe questions thenceforth.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

If you're so smart, O'Keefe, how come you didn't jump in first with the "sitar drone through a cassette recorder" answer?

Cuz I had the brain this week. I have to give it back to Phil tomorrow night, so he will answer all your bagpipe questions thenceforth.
AS proofr I tiPE thu8s rePaly... :freak:

I nead tha brean bak... ;)

1969's Through the Past, Darkly's Jumping Jack Flash and 1968's Beggar's Banquet's Street Fightin' Man and Parachute Woman all used the "through the cheap cassette recorder" distortion trick. SFM is the song that is most widely known for this, and I'm sure there are others. Pretty brilliant - "do ANYTHING you need to for the tone you want" school of engineering.

In addition to sitar, Jones plays tamboura on SFM too. :)

And of course, as I know you're aware Jeff, there are no electrics on SFM - it's all acoustic guitars through the cassette deck. :)

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

And of course, as I know you're aware Jeff, there are no electrics on SFM - it's all acoustic guitars through the cassette deck. :)

Of course. That's as well known as the fact that Jimmy Page played the solo on "Sympathy for the Devil".

(Lee baiting is always a fun activity on a Saturday night)

:D

- Jeff

Are we talking about the original recording of JJ Flash? I have no idea where you are thinking there is a part that sounds like a bagpipe.

I hear a few different guitar parts. Yea, they aren't what we think of as standard rock sounds, but bagpipes?

Did you notice there are no cymbal crashes?

Originally posted by Prague:

Are we talking about the original recording of JJ Flash? I have no idea where you are thinking there is a part that sounds like a bagpipe.

It (the sitar, as it turns out) comes in twice.

The first time is in the "non-solo" section, the little bridge between the second and third verse.

The second one is near the end, during the "Jumping jack flash, its a gas" repeats.

- Jeff

Since I've proven I'm nuts beyond the shadow of a doubt, I may as well throw out the admission that I also think I heard bagpipes on an AC/DC record. I'm not sure which one.

Maybe this is a specific mental illness, some very focused subset of schizophrenia. Hearing bagpipes on rock songs. It's harmless enough.

- Jeff

Since I've proven I'm nuts beyond the shadow of a doubt, I may as well throw out the admission that I also think I heard bagpipes on an AC/DC record. I'm not sure which one.

Maybe this is a specific mental illness, some very focused subset of schizophrenia. Hearing bagpipes on rock songs. It's harmless enough.

- Jeff

The AC/DC song:

"It's a Long Way to Top if you want to Rock and Roll"

Has bag pipes. It comes at the end of the song.

THANK YOU, JLSound. And please tell these people that the bagpipe is really there, and that it's not a sitar,

Statement #1...

and I'm not totally psycho. :)

- Jeff

Statement #2...

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. ;)

Archived