Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

0T- What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Philip Clark

Another Youtube recommendation.   Never heard of this singer-guitarist before.  I like her songs and musicianship though.  Some creative chord progressions - not the same ol boring rock ones.   2nd song sounds like it could have been on an early Steely Dan record like Can't Buy a Thrill.

And some tasteful work by the keyboardist.

• Like 1

I tend to be pretty late to the party with music.  I listen to audiobooks a lot more than music these days.

For example, I didn't know about Snarky Puppy and in particular the We Like it Here live album until not long ago.  That is mindblowing.

The following concert gave me a similar feeling, not quite the same type of music but these guys--who I only heard of because I was watching some stuff with Cory Wong their guitarist--are very, very good.  And a lot of them swap instruments throughout the show.   *This* is the type of show I'd love to go see.   So much fun.  (btw Chris Thile appears for a song or two, that's the level of playing we are talking here....)

Also, this live-in-studio (though likely fixed up afterward as does happen) song from Dirty Loops is darn cool.  It's poppy at first, give it a chance though :)

This was said to be the last Steely Dan show with Walter Becker onstage.

There's a special vibe about this set.  Becker's surprise monologue during "Hey Nineteen".   Larry Carlton replacing Jon Herrington as 2nd guitarist (!).  Becker singing lead on "Daddy don't live in that New York City".   "Pretzel Logic" dedicated to Gregg Allman who had just passed away

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/walter-becker-steely-dan-final-show/

• Like 2

Naro- Phil Naro Band. A hard rock classic, released in 1994 low budget label. Bad label and terrible timing as this music was not in vogue due to grunge. Commercial hard rock. If released in 1986-1988 it would easily been a multiplatinum seller. Phil died of cancer last year and also has a new album coming next month with Talas which is the band I first saw and heard him with. The Naro album? The greatest rock album you've never heard. Great songs production and playing and singing.

While sitting up all night waiting for the launch of Artemis I (which was scrubbed due to engine issues), I was playing the "Moon Tunes" play list provided for launch parties and ran across this one which I had forgotten about and fell in love with again:

• Like 1