Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Humble Bundle worth it? IK Pro Sound Suite dirt cheap

Bif_

Just saw this and thought others may be interested. IK Pro Sound Suite - Charity donation

I'm interested but may be going down a rabbit hole. Would appreciate others thoughts. Other than my Kurz Forte, all me gear is old. Motif ES, Muse Receptor 2, etc. I never pursued soft instruments but this deal has my attention. $30 for 40 pieces of software. I know many of these are useless to me, but $30 is a low risk endeavor. My computer is old, 8 GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz. 

Sampletank 4 is probably a big upgrade for me, so I'm intrigued by that alone. Am I asking for a painful experience trying to get this to run on my computer? 

Thanks in advance. 

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

6 hours ago, Bif_ said:

Just saw this and thought others may be interested. IK Pro Sound Suite - Charity donation

I'm interested but may be going down a rabbit hole. Would appreciate others thoughts. Other than my Kurz Forte, all me gear is old. Motif ES, Muse Receptor 2, etc. I never pursued soft instruments but this deal has my attention. $30 for 40 pieces of software. I know many of these are useless to me, but $30 is a low risk endeavor. My computer is old, 8 GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz. 

Sampletank 4 is probably a big upgrade for me, so I'm intrigued by that alone. Am I asking for a painful experience trying to get this to run on my computer? 

Thanks in advance. 

Yes, add ram (32GB).  Also a separate HDD (ssd, nvme, etc) and a decent audio interface (of which there are many that sound great from low cost on up today. Enjoy the hunt). 

Streamline your O.S. for best performance (e.g - free up all bottlenecks and resources. No autoloading programs except any system hardware necessary).
Disable (the usually terrible, biz-centric) common antivirus.  We FULLY REMOVE anything Norton or McAfee for example with extreme prejudice which is sold to J.Q. Public who can't be trusted with a fork at the table.  These individuals are often seen emailing or calling tech support every 3-6 months.

• Thanks 1

I've bought a few packages from Humble.  No issues other than it's usually a chore to download all the stuff individually.  I also kind of question the MSRP. But if you're looking to get into some software, not a bad deal at all.    You may  also want to check out the Bedroom producer's blog- has links to some nice free stuff.  And Cherry Audio also has some stuff that ends up in Humble.   Great advice above about Ram & SSDs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

On 9/22/2024 at 8:16 PM, Bif_ said:

Am I asking for a painful experience trying to get this to run on my computer? 

You're probably looking at a bit of a learning curve getting every piece (Sampletank, software & audio interface) to make nice, but at this price I would think it a no-brainer. I'm not sure about the Windows world but here in Mac-land I got a lot of mileage out of my old 2013 laptop with 8GB of ram and a larger internal SSD I installed and partitioned for sample libraries. My advice would be to not go crazy with updates, exrernal SSD and audio interfaces - why not see how far you can take your current setup? You might be surprised. I took a look at ST4's minimum system reqs and I believe your computer easily makes the grade:

Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 (Intel Core i5 suggested), 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested), Windows® 7 or later. 40 GB (SampleTank 4 SE), 128 GB (SampleTank 4), 640 GB (SampleTank 4 MAX) of hard drive space.
Requires an ASIO compatible sound card. 
Requires an OpenGL 2 compatible graphics adapter.

34 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

You're probably looking at a bit of a learning curve getting every piece (Sampletank, software & audio interface) to make nice, but at this price I would think it a no-brainer. I'm not sure about the Windows world but here in Mac-land I got a lot of mileage out of my old 2013 laptop with 8GB of ram and a larger internal SSD I installed and partitioned for sample libraries. My advice would be to not go crazy with updates, exrernal SSD and audio interfaces - why not see how far you can take your current setup? You might be surprised. I took a look at ST4's minimum system reqs and I believe your computer easily makes the grade:

Thank you for the encouragement. Agreed it’s an opportunity, worst case I’m out $30. 

I keep thinking about an Apple laptop, maybe one of these days. 

We’ll see what happens with this experiment first. 

Thanks to all that responded. 

• Like 1
Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I got a pretty large amount of IK Multimedia software when they celebrated an anniversary a couple or so years ago... And I am not using it. I find the interfaces awkward, the sounds pretty average and the software installation kind of a nightmare.

At least they finally let you install your software after the 180 day period which formerly was a pretty daunting thing.

And I don't want to comment about their customer service, so to call. Don't get me started 🤐

All in all, the price is good on this offer, if you don't have already anything from them. I hope it works better for you than it has done for me!

• Like 1

I just got the whole bundle. Their "IK Product Manager" you download & install makes things fairly simple and straightforward, in my opinion of course.

You're not required to download large sample libraries to your internal drive. Sampletank 4 came with 85GB of sounds and you better believe I'm not putting them on my internal (we Mac users have soldered-in SSDs, no upgrading unless you're handy with a rework station and have the tools to flash firmware onto NAND memory chips!). If your computer has at least a USB3 port you should be able to play streaming instruments from an external connected there. A tiny Samsing or similar SSD you can put in a shirt pocket could easily hold all the samples.

3 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

I just got the whole bundle. Their "IK Product Manager" you download & install makes things fairly simple and straightforward, in my opinion of course.

Yes, the first installation is not that hard. But then, once you have plenty of software, specially different versions like plain, SE, Max or whatever, things get confusing. All in all, the newer iterations of the install program are better than the older ones

I just jumped on the deal  and found a $5 credit for downloading the free  version of Sampletank 4 years ago, so total price was $44.99 for a 600gb library.  It's going on a 2019 Surface 3 Model 1873 laptop, with 6gb ram and Windows 11 Home.  Should I upgrade the internal SSD to 1tb, or can I put the sample library on my external HD?

demos by Jordan Reduss convinced me to get it.  He played it with a Kronos and I'm hoping it will work well with my Korg PA4x

Duane

Korg PA4x76 arranger, 1976 Yamaha CP-70 electric piano, MidiPlus X6 MIDI USB controller, Turbosound ip500 Tower Speaker System, Zoom L20 mixer/recorder

Have not downloaded it yet.  Got the 600gb from IK website:

"SampleTank 4 MAX v2 packs all 88 SampleTank products. This includes 28 SampleTank 4 libraries previously sold separately, the 34 synths from Syntronik 2 MAX v2, SampleTron 2 and the full version of Miroslav Philharmonik 2.

Still included is the complete SampleTank 4 factory content along with all legacy SampleTank 2 and 3 factory content, plus every legacy SampleTank 3 library for a massive 600 GB of sounds and over 18,000 instruments.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: 40 GB (SampleTank 4 SE), 128 GB (SampleTank 4), 640 GB (SampleTank 4 MAX) of hard drive space. 

Korg PA4x76 arranger, 1976 Yamaha CP-70 electric piano, MidiPlus X6 MIDI USB controller, Turbosound ip500 Tower Speaker System, Zoom L20 mixer/recorder