Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i-Pod looks awful!!

Compared to these :Dwww.tompolk.com/radios/radios.html Anyway,Iv'e alway's loved the look of early 60's Japaneese transistor radios.I wish I still had one just to look at.And that indescrible cheap tinny sound!!! :D And let's not forget the pre-curser to my Sony MDR-7506's,that cheap no-name flesh colored mono earphone! That was stylin baby!
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Plan 09 from Outer Space:

I used to collect old transistor radios like the one you pictured. I have over 500 when I sold them all for an Emulator II.

sigh

And what did you get for the EMU 2 eventually! :D An i-Pod perhaps? :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I got my first transistor radio from my grandmother on my 8th birthday...a GE with a leatherette case and an earphone. I'm a packrat so I know it's still around here somewhere...

I also have a number of older ones (like the pic above) that my uncle left to me. Many of them are in their original packaging.

I think it's cool how they would actually print the number of transistors on the case...like it was a bragging right. Of course, back then I guess it was.

:D

this house is empty now...

Originally posted by Kronoslndln 10%off:

Originally posted by Plan 09 from Outer Space:

I used to collect old transistor radios like the one you pictured. I have over 500 when I sold them all for an Emulator II.

sigh

And what did you get for the EMU 2 eventually! :D An i-Pod perhaps? :D
Hahaha. Actually, that's almost exactly what I got for it.

The guy I sold them to has a collection nearing 5000, and it's valued by Christie's in the 5 figure range...close to $30,000

"For instance" is not proof.

Those things are awesome!! :thu:

I think it's cool how they would actually print the number of transistors on the case...like it was a bragging right. Of course, back then I guess it was.

Check out the caption under the 2 radios that are pictured above:

The invasion of Japanese radios was not entirely welcome in certain trade circles in the USA. Import duty prices began to rise; they were based, oddly enough, on the number of transistors in a radio.

Some Japanese manufacturers worked around this by offering "boy's radios," built with an ingenious circuit using only two transistors. One transistor amplifies the incoming signal, the other drives the speaker. Peformance suffered in this design: Only the most powerful or closest stations can be heard on the two radios pictured here. Both radios have an external antenna jack. A long antenna wire works wonders.

Though these radios were promoted as "boy's radios," their build quality is not that different from six, eight , or fourteen transistor radios.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Kronos et al,

What a co-inkydenk! I collect transistor radios too! :)

I have a large collection from the very first ever produced to more modern gimmick radios and even some 1990's Sony stuff. My absolute favorites are the small 60's Japanese ones with shiny metal grilles and intricate cases. Second faves would be the English "Roberts" radios. They are ART IMHO so I have them in glass fronted display cabinets in my formal lounge :thu:

The most valuable one I have (apparently) is a Batman AM radio - the "blue mountain" one with Batman in the foreground of a blue mountain - it's worth almost a whole keyboard these days, but I'm not selling!

:DTR

I got a inexpensive transistor radio when I was really young - yes, with the genuine leatherette case and white ear speaker... and it was the coolest thing to me back then... but a couple of years later I got my first tape RECORDER, and life went downhill from there... ;freak: ;):D

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Herman Tedster:

The sound of the Beach Boys coming through a transistor radio...the smell of Coppertone...the sound of waves lapping the beach and seagulls...

Surf's up!

Yeah... the summer I spent working at the beach after high school (everyone should do it) was probably one of the last few before big portable radios and cassette portables started coming in.

Of course, we bodysurfers were way, way too cool to carry radios. We didn't even carry towells. Just a single fin. (I often hitched the 15 miles to the beach when I didn't have to go to work... just to save the gas -- which was usually no more than 17 or 18 cents a gallon. [Don't try that these days kids, or you'll probably end up in a shallow ditch somewhere].)

When I was 8 or so, it was the year that everyone got a transistor radio.

Mine was a nice small one. AM only, of course. I'm not sure, but I honestly think it might have been a Sonny brand [two N's] since it was Sony that had put 'affordable' tiny transistors on the map. Anyhow, mine only had 6 transistors, but my buddies had 8. Soon, you could see 14 transistor radios from Lloyds down at the K-Mart. But I did some reading and found out that the circuits they used then didn't need any extra transistors and they were often just inserted into the circuit board for braggin rights.

Another artifact of the period right around 1960 was small, cheap tape recorders. And the next year I got one of those for Christmas because I'd always been fascinated by tape and wire recorders. My first recorder didn't even have a capstan... as the tape on the take up real built up, the speed got faster and faster. (Of course, playback vaguely mirrored the same speed as recording, but the precision of hte winds was all over the map, so the speed varied pretty wildly.

Archived