Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any hope in Hell for laptop hard drive?

I used it last week, it was fine. Fired it up last night..nothing.

Tried a system boot diskette, nothing. No activity whatsoever.

I've already called for a repair with Compaq, but they said they're just going to change the HD for a new one. I had a lot of digital cam pics on there that I should have backed up....

Freakin' PC is only 2 years old!

Any suggs?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are places that specialize in emergency data recovery. I can't remember the exact pricing, but it is ridiculously expensive, to my recollection.

Here are a few...

CBL

American Data Recovery

Action Front

Most of these places get their high fees from corporations who've lost all their inventory data, for example.

Best of luck.

- Jeff

Dan,

I feel your pain... a similar thing happened to me 6 months ago.

Try to see if the hard drive is still powering on. If yes, try to take it out (although this voids warranty) and install it in an external firewire enclosure like the ADS PYRO 2.5 Drive Kit and see if you can still grab the photos. If the drive is still powering up but unable to see all the data, download the demo version of GetDataBack and run it to see if it can retrieve your files. This awesome program enabled me to save all my valuable family photos when my laptop gorked.

Good luck!

Slight possibility here.

A month or so ago we had a laptop go out at work and it would not allow the computer to boot. I went to Insight.com and found a connector that allows the laptop drive to connect to a regular IDE cable in a PC. I then put the drive inside a Win98 PC and was able to access most of the data. Windows 98 allowed me to get past the errors in the boot sector without much trouble.

I tried a USB drive holder and a Win XP computer on the same drive with no luck. It seems that WinXP does a lot of checking that does not happen in Win98, and WinXP had a VERY hard time trying to access the bad drive. So if your drive can be recognized by a Win98 computer you have a bit of hope.

Good luck.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

I tried a USB drive holder and a Win XP computer on the same drive with no luck. It seems that WinXP does a lot of checking that does not happen in Win98, and WinXP had a VERY hard time trying to access the bad drive.

Robert

Does XP run chkdsk every time it booted up?

I'm not sure but when I tried to access bad drive on WinXP computers, those computers would hand as they tried to access the drive. There may be a setting that can be disabled in WinXP. When I put it inside a Win98 computer things worked much better and I retrieved most of the data.

As for the cable, it was a simple device with a jack on one end to connect the 2.5 inch drive, and the other end had an IDE connector and a power connector.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived