Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum machine/groovebox for live dance accompaniment w/acoustic piano?

Hey all,

I recently landed a sweet gig accompanying several collegiate dance classes a few days a week. Primarily acoustic upright piano, some accordion. The ballet classes are just acoustic piano with pretty specific music. The contemporary classes, on the other hand, are heavily improv-based, and in the past some accompanists have utilized loopers and such live. I am interested in adding a drum machine of some type to add some rhythm to my performances. I currently just have an upright piano available, and some of these styles really need some drum parts. Largely for modern dance type pieces (think 4-on-the-floor kicks, house music, that type of thing, with some hip hop as well). I know we have a few folks who have explored the groovebox/drum machine world on this forum, so I'm hoping someone might have some real-world experience. I'm a drummer and percussionist as well, but when it comes to hardware drum machines, I have zero experience.

The key features I need are as follows:

• Pads/buttons that can be played live in addition to sequencing a pattern - would be nice to have a live recording function too vs having to input everything via a step sequencer. Sort of like a live looping setup.
  • Time signatures of 4/4, 3/4/, and 6/8 at minimum.
  • Variety of sounds - I could live with just a 909-style kit, as that would cover most of the genres I'm working with, but it would be nice to have a few other options. I'm a fan of (TR) 707/909/626 and Drumtraks-type sounds generally. 808-type hihats and a clap would be nice.
  • Tap tempo - the instructors typically just count off 4 clicks and you start, which means the starting tempo varies at any given time.
  • 1/4" outs strongly preferred - I'd really like to not rely on 1/8" jacks if possible. I don't need individual outs for the kick/snare/etc...a mix output would be sufficient.
  • Small footprint - this has to sit on an upright piano and be accessible to play live. Even better if it can sit on the music rest.
  • Budget is <$500, preferably under $300. This is a paying gig but isn't enough of a long-term money maker to justify buying something like an MPC unit, given that this gear would be primarily used in this specific use case.

So far, the Novation Circuit Tracks seems like a possibility, but is on the higher end of the budget. The Roland TR-8s seems sweet but is too far over budget.

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance you might have!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

• Budget is <$500, preferably under $300. This is a paying gig but isn't enough of a long-term money maker to justify buying something like an MPC unit, given that this gear would be primarily used in this specific use case.

The budget constraint is unfortunate because an MPC is the best tool for this job and future projects too.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yep, if using an iPad check out the Lumbeat drum apps! Unfortuantley only IAA at the moment, but they are brilliant to play to! And easy to use. Works well on an iPad mini which takes up a lt less room than the bigger units.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things