Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What readily available glue?

I have an amplifier cabinet where the fabric has come loose at one seam.  It’s not tolex, it’s a hartke bass amp, cloth covering.  I can hold it in place to dry with a shot or two from a staple gun but I’m wondering what type of glue to use.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I use 3M System 77 for case lining and pedal board carpet.  Works well.  I use it where there minimal or no external leakage .  Only downside is that any excess bleed along seams will dry a creamy pale yellow color.  If you don’t care about cosmetics then it’s a non issue.   Follow the instructions. 

Also, there are lots of 3M spray adhesives besides System 77. 

• Like 4

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Contact cement is the right thing, but for a small seam repair, I’d probably go with brush on liquid. Spray is for broad applications. 

• Like 3

Here for the gear.

1 hour ago, drawback said:

Contact cement is the right thing, but for a small seam repair, I’d probably go with brush on liquid. Spray is for broad applications. 

Agreed, although liquified glue could bleed thru certain fabrics and or even ooze out a bit along the seam as mentioned . This will "attract" dirt and crust. yuck...

I believe the contact cement is also nice because it allows for better "repositioning" before curing.

Def, try on something "not crucial" regardless of adhesive you go with!!!

PEACE

_

_

_

• Like 2

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

I would use super glue in this case, coat both pieces and press together without sticking your fingers to the cabinet :)

====================================

Hammond C3 / 122;

Rhodes Suitcase 73 Mk 1;

Roland JP6, Juno 106, TR8s;

Moog Voyager Xl, Matriarch, Subsequent 37;

Nord stage 4 compact;

ASM Hydrasynth desktop

Maybe take a look at the spray adhesives that they make specifically for auto headliners.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38808-Headliner-Fabric-Adhesive/dp/B004MEBENM

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I meant liquid contact cement. No need to lay it on thick enough to bleed. Brush it lightly on both sides and allow to dry. It can’t ooze beyond the seam - it’s not liquid when you press the carpet to the wood. 

Here for the gear.

Upvote for a light coating of 3M Super 77 on both surfaces, wait 20 seconds, and put 'em together.  Make sure you get it right the first time though -- that stuff's permanent.

No need to soak anything -- three or four molecules thick should do it.   I've used it in the dim past to put insulation on a garage door -- and also to put mohair carpet on the outside of a homemade plywood keyboard case.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361