Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ADAT file transfer help?

I have a little dilemma of my own. I have an ADAT deck and an ADAT PCR card for optically transferring files back and forth to my PC. I recently upgraded to XP and Alesis doesn't make drivers for their card and XP. Is there another solution for transferring files to and from and ADAT deck? I have a ton of material on tapes that I'd like to be able to work with.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are quite a few interfaces with ADAT I/O, although I don't know how many have the sample accurate sync function that the ADAT PCR had. What you can do is just play the ADAT tracks into the I/O and record it into your host program. For example, I use the Creamware PowerPulsar and it has two ADAT I/Os (16 channels total). If I just record-enable the desired tracks in Sonar and play back the tape, they all get recorded into Sonar. You don't really need the ADAT sync unless you're trying to punch in sections, or something else that requires more than just continuous playback. But it sounds to me like all you really want to do is bounce the ADAT tracks over to hard disk and work with it in the HD from there, right?

Originally posted by Anderton:

But it sounds to me like all you really want to do is bounce the ADAT tracks over to hard disk and work with it in the HD from there, right?

That is pretty much it. I'd like to be able to accurately bounce files to and from an ADAT deck and possibly to a Fostex D-108 deck. Ease is definitely a factor to me. I basically want to hit "transfer from point A to point B on the tape" and have it done. That is one of the things I really liked about the ADAT edit system. I looked briefly at the Frontier Designs Wavecenter card and it looks pretty much like what I need.

Thank you Phil and Craig.

I can vouch for Frontier (used it before I got the PowerPulsar; I switched so I could use the Creamware soft synths), RME (rock solid and great with laptops), and Echo -- I use the Indigo card in the laptops used for my looping and Sonar seminars for Pro Media. That should be enough choices for you!

Thank you very much for the help. That should certainly give me enough choices. Another thought that I had was to add an audio-only hard drive into my file server (which runs on 98SE) and put the ADAT card in there.

Either way, I think it will work out. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Evil Dylan:

I wouldn't recommend installing any current audio card in 98SE if you have XP available. Most new cards have low latency ASIO or WDM drivers for XP that rock!

What I was thinking was to put my ADAT PCR card (which doesn't run under XP) into the machine with 98SE. It's an old Gateway but should work fine purely as a data transfer/storage device. I have them all networked together BTW so I can still open and edit the files on my XP box.

Archived