Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who Knew?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Jeff Goldblum was making TV rounds to promote his Jazz record. Access is a benefit of being a well known actor in a different role.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

8 hours ago, AROIOS said:

Capable and glad he's having fun but then again pretty turrible in the grand scheme...begging the question "why?".  The looks he's sending the audience(?) with the striking of each kind-of-mediocre chords or notes...
Well, glad he's having fun (hopefully the cover was free-$10 max).  He plays a killer Fly though!

Bonus 2: Band got to tell a cool story. ("Yes!! That one...BRUNDLE-FLY!  I know...he just hired us.")

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scoopicman said:

And for the longest time, I thought Chick Corea was Jeff Goldblum!  (Okay, I kid)

Maybe Goldblum will play some Chick in a biopic.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

11 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Had a girlfriend many years ago who thought I looked like Jeff Goldblum 😀 Well, not sure about that, and no disrespect to him but his jazz skills are apparently similar to mine 🤣

That actually makes sense given your love for Classical music. We can hear some Classical influence in his playing.

Some purists would call it less authentic or unfaithful to American Jazz roots, I personally consider it a more "European" sound.

• Cool 1

Saw Goldblum and his big band live a few years ago. He was having fun hamming it up and providing work for a bunch of jazz musicians who, if they feel sheepish backing him up, did a good job of not showing it. Not sure Goldblum thinks of playing jazz and acting as separate things.

Also saw Sean Hayes on Broadway play Rhapsody in Blue in the play "Good Night, Oscar." Unlike Goldblum, Hayes is no dabbler; he's got serious skills.

Don't we need some Clint Eastwood to round this out?

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

On 8/5/2024 at 12:51 PM, Adan said:

Not sure Goldblum thinks of playing jazz and acting as separate things.

Sometimes I wonder too. 

• Haha 2

Here for the gear.

On 8/5/2024 at 2:37 PM, MathOfInsects said:

Those white-note-to-black-note 10ths that Chevy Chase casually hits sorta piss me off. 

He sounds like he's just a couple of weeks of practice away from being up to a club gig. If you had asked me to name a comic actor who had decent piano skills, he wouldn't have been on the list, but there's the proof. Not bad at all. Huh. 

• Like 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

44 minutes ago, David Emm said:

He sounds like he's just a couple of weeks of practice away from being up to a club gig. If you had asked me to name a comic actor who had decent piano skills, he wouldn't have been on the list, but there's the proof. Not bad at all. Huh. 

I think he's one of those guys who started as a musician and ended up famous for something else. He was Steely Dan's first drummer, if I'm remembering that trivia bit correctly. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I forgot about that bit of trivia about Chevy Chase drumming for The Leather Canary, a band fronted by schoolmates Becker and Fagen.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/how-chevy-chase-almost-became-steely-dans-drummer/

A Steely Dan lineup with Chevy Chase would have been something to see, no disrespect to founding drummer Jim Hodder.

Goldblum also tickled the ivories on-camera during one of the episodes of "Law and Order Criminal Intent" where they were investigating the murder of a musician. His point to his detective partner was that you could be pretty talented as a musician and still not be able to make a living at it (meaning, his character on that show could not make a living at it, and decided instead to work as a police detective).

• Like 1

Jeff sounds like a fan and casual student of jazz.  The hair, the glasses, the jacket - he’s playing the part of Bill Evans.  But he needs a lot more time at the piano with any hope of doing that musically (as do millions of players of course).  In 2024 if anyone is bringing attention to instrumental jazz that’s not really a bad thing.  How does the show sound when he isn’t soloing?  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

That last one was hard to watch. We've done the "what's Goldblum up to?" thread thing on this forum before, and I always end up in the same place of ambivalence. On the one hand, he's clearly on stage because of his celebrity. On the other hand, if people come to see Goldblum and stay for the jazz, is that a bad thing?

Watching Goldblum overact as he plunks random-ish notes triggers my gag reflex. Much like professional wrestling. But that's just me. If enough people enjoy it so that the real musicians onstage get paid, then everybody (except, again, me) should be happy.

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64