Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The group Im currently playing with uses IEMs.  We try to minimize the stage sound as much as possible The keyboard, and bass are direct into the Pa. My guitar is direct in through a pedal, but I also have an amp on stage.  I have a set of earbuds I paid 200.00 for, and for vocals (we all sing), they work really well.  The bass and drums are Ok, the keyboard is acceptible, although a bit tinny, but the guitar sound is atrocious (Even when I used to mike the amp it was bad). It is very tinny, lacking for low end, and just overall bad). The sound out of the Pa is superb.  we use a Personus 16 channel rack mixer and utizize our own seperate mixes via app.  I usually take one earbud out so I can hear a combination of the IEM and onstage sound from my amp and the Pa.  But sometimes, depending on the venue, I can't hear the Pa enough and if I turn up the onstage amp, I get complaints from the other members. I should also mention I have a degree of hearing loss. So Im wondering how many of you use IEMs for your guitar monitoring and how it works for you.  We play a lot of classic rock songs, so my guitar sound is very gutty and overdriven.  THanks for your input.

Jeff

• Like 1

If on IEMs I prefer no stage amp.   I have two sets of IEMs.  One set are dual drivers with enhanced bass.   I actually prefer the cheaper Shure 215s due to the way the keyboards come through.  The bottom end on your IEMs is mostly a factor on the quality of the buds and how good a seal you have.  Do you use custom molds?

You need to EQ the guitar with FOH in mind. FOH is the whole point of playing.  Whether you like the guitar sound in the ears is secondary.  

I too prefer the sound of the guitar when using a free air amp and no IEMs but everything else works better with IEMs.    So I live with the guitar.  That is just the facts of the modern gig environment.   There are upsides. The Fractal/Helix/Kemper/Iridium/ WhateverYouUse sounds the same every night.  I prefer this over the ears sounding completely different from the amp and dealing with the amp sounding different every night due to the room and how the production guys choose to mic the amp that day.  

Good luck. It was a big adjustment. The positives out weighed the bad in the end for me. 

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've never used IEMs, so I cannot comment and can only hope that what I hear is what the audience hears, if I ever do have to use them. Stage monitors have worked just fine for me.  Back in the day, our stage amps were set by each player for the room and we could hear our vocals coming out of the PA.  The guitar amps, bass and drums were not miked or sent direct to the PA and all instruments had to stay under the vocals unless a lead part came up.  Later in life, all instruments and mics were sent to the PA, but still there were no IEMs used (old school LoL!). :cool:

Take care, Larryz