Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4 audio outs

I’ve got a concert gig coming up where I’m using my CP4. Although I usually just play the mono pianos through a single monitor, it’s probably better if I send stereo to the FOH. Since I’m not expecting stereo monitoring I was thinking of sending the two XLR outs to the PA, plugging a single cable in to the right jack output and running a single monitor off that. My idea is to avoid the stereo sound being collapsed into mono. Does this make sense? Anyone tried it this way.

Also there are warnings about connecting the xlr out of my QSC K10 directly to the desk in case phantom power gets sent to it. Is the CP4 vulnerable to this as well?

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

I’m not sure I understand your question:  Are you concerned that if you plug the unbalanced 1/4 inch jack into the “mono” unbalanced output, that it will then change the XLR outputs also to mono?  I’d expect the balanced and unbalanced outs to be separate (in other words, nomatter what you plugged in the unbalanced outs, the XLR balanced outs would still be left and right).  Is that your question?

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

I’ve never had phantom power applied to the XLR outputs so I don’t know. But Yamaha has been making stage pianos for a long time, so my assumption is that it won’t disable the pianos output circuits.

Regarding mono, using the R output is for my ears the optimal thing to do. This gives better sound than the mono patches or summing the L and R signals. Used this setup exclusively for the ten years I gigged with the CP4.

Regarding the summing issue, don’t rely on the sound guy already knowing this. Let him know to keep the L and R separate, although the stereo width can be reduced.

Finally, the CP4 outputs a nominal -10dB signal strength. You need a mixer or powered speaker with an adjustable preamp to drive the monitor to appropriate stage levels.

• Like 1

Why not connect small headphones to the headphone jack to use as monitors? This way you can hear yourself and also hear the rest of the band through the bleed through.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

8 hours ago, John Tweed said:

Also there are warnings about connecting the xlr out of my QSC K10 directly to the desk in case phantom power gets sent to it. Is the CP4 vulnerable to this as well?

Just a side note:  I use a pair of these on those occasions I'm using XLR outputs from my rig.   These ignore and block the +48Phantom.   

Just some added insurance should someone have the phantom turned on for your channel(s)

spacer.png

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

9 hours ago, John Tweed said:

Is the CP4 vulnerable to this as well?

Yes, I did this once and damaged my CP4. Had to bring it to a repair shop and listen to lecture about how I should always use a direct box (it was literally the only time I didn’t). They told me the CP4 XLR outs are not transformer isolated and, therefore, will not protect the CP4 from unwanted electrical events like phantom power. 

• Thanks 1

To the best of my memory, whenever I tried using both XLR and 1/4 inch outputs, one or the other would not work correctly.  It was as if it is not meant to drive both pairs of outputs at once.  Needless to say, this was very disappointing.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

On 8/2/2024 at 1:50 AM, Al Quinn said:

Yes, I did this once and damaged my CP4. Had to bring it to a repair shop and listen to lecture about how I should always use a direct box (it was literally the only time I didn’t). They told me the CP4 XLR outs are not transformer isolated and, therefore, will not protect the CP4 from unwanted electrical events like phantom power. 

That is the information I was seeking, thanks Al 🙏. So for simplicity’s sake we opted to run mono using the mono piano, through a DI from the L jack output. When even small mixers typically provide an option for phantom power which can easily be switched on accidentally or otherwise, it seems the safest option is to ignore the XLRs completely.

My main role in this gig was playing organ for a set of Allman Bros tunes, for which I used my Legend Soul and Leslie. That sounded great and looked the part too, and the piano hardly got used. I’ll have to save my stereo/mono experiments for another time.

Thanks to all who replied.

• Like 1

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …