Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Back to the real world.

In the real world things break or wear down and must be repaired. I have been so busy with the my job, speed drumming and CD the past few years that I have badly neglected repairs here.

Well I'm getting a week off in November and I 'm going to start with the bathroom. I saw some GORGEOUS 1/2 inch MARBLE FLOORING for only $3 a square foot and so I'm finally going to fix the bathroom floor, and that hole in the wall too !

Anyone out there ever lay marble flooring? This stuff is HEAVY. I asked the guy at the home improvement place if my floor could support the weight. He said that I need a minimum of 1.75 inch plywood subfloor !

Well it is easier to talk about than to do !

And next the back porch !

Dan

http://freedrumvideos.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone out there ever lay marble flooring? This stuff is HEAVY. I asked the guy at the home improvement place if my floor could support the weight. He said that I need a minimum of 1.75 inch plywood subfloor !
y0 Dan,

its really 1.25 inch minimum sub floor. most likely you have ¾ inch sub floor with ¼ inch plywood covered with vinyl. if that is the case, you can go right over the vinyl with ¼ inch cement board. use thinset to set the cement board down then nail it with 1.25 inch galvanized roofing nails. if you strip the old floor out down to the ¾ inch sub floor, youll need to use ½ inch cement board. again, thinset it down before nailing.

also you are going to need to rent a wet saw to cut the marble. one other thing, if you bought a light colored marble (white/off white) use a white thinset to set the marble. because marble is somewhat translucent a gray thinset will darken the marble.

hope that helps.

:wave:

ps

wet marble is like ice when bare footed.

you may want to reconsider the marble in favor of a flat finish somewhat textured ceramic or porcelain tile. marble + wet floor + bare foot dan = dans kester on da floor.

Archived