Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Caulifornia earthquake

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in Santa Barbara and I didn't feel a darned thing. Seems like we should have. Weird.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Senior Editor, Music Player Network

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Parkfield's where they have the experimental earthquke gear, for measuring etc. More per capita than anywhere in the US.

Got it right I guess.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

The USGS has been running research projects in Parkfield CA for years, due to the regularity of moderate sized earthquakes there. For more:

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/research/parkfield/

They've been expecting this quake since 1993... as long as no one was hurt, USGS has got to be loving this due to the amount of data they are going to collect from it.

I had something over here the house swayed a bit...not as big as the one earlier in ther year that made waves in the pool...

I guess I don't know if it was as 'big' I don't know anything about the way vibrations travel in the earth so it may have been a good one somewhere but the wave front might have been going a different direction or something.

At any rate when Terra Firma shakes it gets my attention !

Originally posted by Kcbass:

Don't worry, it was just Mt. Saint Helens burping! I hope. Kcbass

Last time I looked (about an hour ago) Mt St Helens was still there. Its about 70 miles from where I live but have to walk about a block up the top of the hill to see it.

Reports of its imminent eruption are highly exage

Originally posted by kylen:

I had something over here the house swayed a bit...not as big as the one earlier in ther year that made waves in the pool...

I guess I don't know if it was as 'big' I don't know anything about the way vibrations travel in the earth so it may have been a good one somewhere but the wave front might have been going a different direction or something.

At any rate when Terra Firma shakes it gets my attention !

Man, then I musta' been having an out-of-body experience or something to have not felt it.

As for Florida storms or earthquakes being worse, I dunno ... I mean, with earthquakes they just kinda hit, no time to prepare for better or worse. I was in New Orleans on business when Hurricane Andrew hit and the impending doom was almost too much. Everyone was going nuts ... I don't think there was any booze left in any mini-bar in the hotel afterwards. :) I thought it strange that a tree flew by my hotel window that night (I wasn't exactly on the ground floor, you know?) ... and of course I didn't sleep.

To be at Ground Zero for a big hurricane seems like it'd be very scary. New Orleans wasn't even the "epicenter" of that one.

On the other hand, that earthquake in 1989 that made the Central Freeway collapse pretty much sucked too ... I guess you just pick your place and deal with its moods ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Archived