Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tom Schuman, impromptu sit in.

Not sure how else to link to this other than FB. I've known Tommy since w=he was a kid. He was a monster then and still is today.  The art of accompaniment. 

https://www.facebook.com/763719738/videos/1924445054674310/

• Like 7

Tom is an absolute monster!  

if you want your mind blown, skip to 3:30 of the following video of him blowing the doors off of Spyro Gyra. 

• Like 3

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

5 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

Not sure how else to link to this other than FB. I've known Tommy since w=he was a kid. He was a monster then and still is today.  The art of accompaniment. 

https://www.facebook.com/763719738/videos/1924445054674310/

And I'm still grateful to this day @Steve Nathan that you mentioned him, what a delightful guy to speak with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

if you want your mind blown, skip to 3:30 of the following video of him blowing the doors off of Spyro Gyra.

The first time I heard the name Tom Schuman was once on the radio, in 1995 I think, they were playing his Extremities album where most of the stuff he plays is exactly like that excerpt, he’s even using the same patch (and there are a few slightly cheesy mandatory GRP-ish tracks but I’ve never been shy of admitting I love cheese and GRP 😀)

I recorded most of Extremities on a cassette off that broadcast and still love it. At the time I didn’t even know Spyro Gyra and someone suggested it to me but that’s already too much cheese for me! But yeah, Tom is a monster. 

• Like 1

Oh my! Can’t wait till next week when we are seeing him in So Cal. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 hour ago, HammondDave said:

Oh my! Can’t wait till next week when we are seeing him in So Cal. 

Are you talking about Spyro Gyra? He's not with the band any more. Moved to Portugal. Their new keyboard player is no slouch, though... sure you'll enjoy.

Elisa is a good friend of mine. We've done countless projects over the years. She can sing anything and right now. She was with Prince for many years and had a successful career on her own. They both sound great!

• Like 2

Tom's a smart man, knowing when to pull the plug and escape from the touring life and enjoy his later years.

Not everyone can do this, but Tom, being the master and commander of his game is able to to it.

Czech out the Keyboard Chronicles podcast interview of Tom from David above, where he talks about this. 

So happy for him to be living his dream.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I always felt that Spyro Gyra put a huge emphasis on the keyboards of Jeremy Wall and Tom Schuman, in addition to the saxophone work of Jay Beckenstein. I liked Spyro Gyra, and still love their music. I remember Tom Schuman used ARP and Moog synths on their early recordings, but their eighties stuff, like Incognito and City Kids, saw him using a Yamaha GS1 synthesizer and a Yamaha DX7, which succeeded the GS1.