Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alto TS4 "Mix Out" as DI?

Hi, I've been using a Behringer Eurolive B207MP3 as a personal keyboard monitor for the last few years. The one thing I love about it is I can use it as its own DI through the XLR-out. Local sound engineers have been very happy with this simplicity. Unfortunately, mine is no longer road worthy as the plastic screw mounts have broken and the speaker flaps around. I'm going to retire it to stationary rehearsal use for backing vocals. I have 2 Alto TS408s that I use as floor wedges, they also have XLR "Mix Out", and I would love to use it as a keyboard amp moving forward. But I'm reading some people say (for the TS308) that the XLR-Out really isn't a proper DI, because of impedance issues, though others have said it's just fine. This isn't a complete deal-breaker as I have a number of DIs, but it has been REALLY REALLY handy, and I love to keep equipment complexity down whenever possible.

So, what's the verdict, is the Alto TS4's "Mix Out" okay to use as a keyboard DI or not? Is it the kind of thing that's fine "in a pinch", but not ideal? Because I've absolutely adored this feature on my Eurolive.

PS: I'm considering getting a 3rd TS4. Was going to get another 408, but if there's a particularly great reason to get a 410, I'd love to hear it!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as i know, it's a line out. DI boxes convert the incoming signal to MIC level, then you use the mixer preamp to get it amplified.  The LINE OUT on the ALTo should be a balanced line level signal.  No need for a preamp, just plug it into the mixer line in and Bob's yer Uncle.

I’m planning to get a TS408 myself. At the moment I use a QSC K10, and while it works just fine taking the output and feeding it into a mixer, if there happens to be phantom power on the mixer input it could fry the K10. So far this has never happened, although I am careful to check with the audio person to ensure they won’t be applying phantom power.

Does the TS have this same vulnerability?

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Yeah phantom power could be a bad issue. Also now your house mix is locked with your monitor mix. If you need to change the volume on your monitor you could either blast the foh or be buried all night. 

FunMachine.

14 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

as far as i know, it's a line out. DI boxes convert the incoming signal to MIC level, then you use the mixer preamp to get it amplified.  The LINE OUT on the ALTo should be a balanced line level signal.  No need for a preamp, just plug it into the mixer line in and Bob's yer Uncle.

I dont have an Uncle Bob, but I have a Zio Guido.... 

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band