Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TC Electronic Impulse IR with stomp boxes... (double post...)

Hi, I've posted this on GuitarForum but without response.... maybe our keyboardists here have some experience with this gear...

here's the post:

I’m trying to “save” some old stomp boxes and Impulse Response seems to be the best way to have those in a single pedal… Investigating I haven’t found if the TC electronic IMPULSE IR can also load IRs from stomp/distortion boxes…, or just cabs. Anyone tried?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I understand your question.  It seems to me that if a device can load IRs, then it can load IRs made from the responses of old stomp boxes.

Sweetwater has this description: "TC Electronic has loaded this pedal with 25 built-in IRs and 74 empty slots available for your own custom IRs." and "The Impulse IR Loader comes with 74 empty slots for loading your own IRs."

(Here: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpulseIR--tc-electronic-impulse-ir-loader?mrkgadid=&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=1&mrkgcat=drums&percussion&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=&lid=58700008695999524&dsproductgroupid=&product_id=ImpulseIR&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=x&matchtype=&adpos=largenumber&locationid=9004874&creative=&targetid=&campaignid=21161059802&awsearchcpc=&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwtmbg7_JhgMVD07_AR1lLikNEAQYASABEgKUO_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)

So if I understand your question correctly: yes the TC Electronics IMPULSE IR can load impulses and so should load impulses derived from old stomp boxes.

2 hours ago, JamPro said:

I'm not sure I understand your question.  It seems to me that if a device can load IRs, then it can load IRs made from the responses of old stomp boxes.

So if I understand your question correctly: yes the TC Electronics IMPULSE IR can load impulses and so should load impulses derived from old stomp boxes.

I follow your train of thought, my doubt is if the pedal can handle distortion-like Impulse Responses as they only advertise (and focus) on the cabinet IRs... 

Other gear (e.g quadcortex) asks for which type of gear the IR is derived of..., hence my hesitation before buying one...

My own understanding is that an IR is an IR: if an IR loader device can load an cabinet IR, then it can load the IR of a modulating device (like a stomp box). 

The Fractal Audio Wiki (here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Impulse_responses_(IR)) describes a number of factors that must align for a device to load an IR: the IR file format; the IR sample rate; the amount of "leading silence" at the start of the IR; and the length (resolution) of the IR (there may be other factors I am missing). 

Have you tried asking at the TC Electronics forum?  I would put your question there.

53 minutes ago, JamPro said:

My own understanding is that an IR is an IR: if an IR loader device can load an cabinet IR, then it can load the IR of a modulating device (like a stomp box). 

Have you tried asking at the TC Electronics forum?  I would put your question there.

sure, I think the same thing... an IR is an IR..., but I'm still learning (also creating IRs in reaper as tests).

I found the TC Elect Forum and posted there..., let's see if anyone have tried.

Thanks!