Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recording digeridoo... compressors?

heya guys just quickly im recording digeridoo to pc and wanted to know if anyone has recorded digeridoo here and what compressors you might have used? im guessing you use the compressor on the in flow (digeridoo>mic>compressor>tape or pc) im getting ok levels but it just doesnt seem hot and tight enough from me the mic is an AKG C9000 i have on loan and the mixer is a mackie 1402VLZ PRO im playing the digeridoo by the way just to complicate it a little more would i be better off using an SM58 for this recording (the only other decent mic i have)? im getting little crackly popping sounds i think might be the mic, but its in perfect condition and hasnt done this before could it be the xlr cable im using? im not clipping, and the pc audio interface is a DELTA44, and ive never had these little clicks before SURELY the spl of a digeridoo cant be bad for the mic? by the way i tried recording off-axis but the mic doesnt pic up anything then, and no, im not using a pop filter any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. the recordings i will edit into a couple of tracks to give to my grandmother. my grandfather (first aboriginal senator in australia) gave me his digeridoo and has since passed away, so i would like to give my grandmother a cd of some recordings with his digeridoo anyway, have a good day :) its sunny and warm here in australia today :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've recorded a dig once. Didn't see the need to use a compressor (since the levels don't change that much do they) but had my normal path on : AKG solidtube -> TC gold channel -> Mac The solidtube is great for whatever task I use it, and with the TC you can get as much levels as you need. What king of pre do you use? Seems like you just need something to give you a little more gain... BTW. You can listen to that song with the Dig on our sound page - it's "yehiyo" Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

I own, play & have recorded a digeridoo. It sounds like you're trying to close-mic it - don't. You don't listen to it with your ear by the "bell" so don't mic it that way. I usually use a large diaphragm condenser 6' - 10' away, aimed at the end, but not "down the tube" (i.e. off-axis). I use no compression, because none is necessary. Scott

hmmm must be the mic then the pre's are the XDR mackies for the record im micing it about 8" away and yes, levels do change the difference between a drone and some voicings can be large, but ive played long enough to compensate for this via movement (ie, like a singer hitting a high note) i guess my concerns with the mic (the clicking i mentioned) but still, im sure someone compresses the signal path in if i had a decent compressor id give it a go. like i said, voicings hit a higher pitch and volume with this digeridoo, likewise its "sweet" tone. dronings are low. a very unique digeridoo and hard to play, due to the volume of air needed and the weight. i might go listen to that recording of yours now ps, thanks for the replies

Hey Folks -- This is a little off topic -- but I managed to pick up a digeridoo on the cheap some time ago. I can make cool sounds with it, but I wouldn't call myself an accomplished player. For one thing, I can't do the circular breathing. FOr another, I don't know how to do anything but blow in it and make "the sound." Is there rhythmic stuff you can do? Can someone recommend some recordings or tips to learn the circular breathing? Thanks. --JES

[quote]Originally posted by JES: [b]For one thing, I can't do the circular breathing. FOr another, I don't know how to do anything but blow in it and make "the sound." Is there rhythmic stuff you can do? Can someone recommend some recordings or tips to learn the circular breathing? [/b][/quote] Synchronicity... A former student of mine sat in with a "try out" for a keyboard guy in a band I have on digiridoo. He learned circular breathing by playing sax in HS, you probably take a lesson from a sax/horn teacher and learn to do it... He also does weird things to his cheeks while playing it (that would be the cheeks on his FACE, mind you...). Going to sit in thursday night at a gig, the "Continuous Spontaneous Improv" gig... I'm going to bring the MDR out to record it, I don't know how I'm going to adequately capture a drummer, my stereo guitar rig, the bass player's amp and upright bass, two trunk loads of objects that make "sounds", a theremin, saxaphone, keyboard player and sampler, turntable/dj guy, spoken word poet, AND Ed on digiridoo. *All on a 10x10 stage*. (not all at once, though....) Thinking of throwing a pair of omni's up in a spaced stereo config combined with some haphazard spot micing, I'm assuming between that and bleed coming out of p.a. it'll come across on the recording....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

how many feet away!!! are you serious? whats the room like you record in, what microphone, what pres, what mixer etc ive tried recording at that distance but get little decent sound plus very crappy tones regarding voicings can i have a listen to something you recorded at this depth? ps, JES, circular breathing is a trick that develops into an easy method. there are plenty of resources online... just think of it as blowing air out of your puffed up cheeks while grabbing some air thru your nose anyway, do a websearch, lots of good info

dear dri, i've recorded the didge a few times, and i've talked to a few people what play it live, and my method is to use a dynamic mike (57 or 58 will do, could try a large diaphragm dynamic too, think base drum), lying on a piece of carpet about a foot or less(!) away, facing the hole, coupled with a condenser in the room, a meter away, adjust to taste hope it helps keep blowing btw, the way to circular breathing is the same as the carnegie hall, practice cheers max newcastle, oz

[quote]Originally posted by S_Gould: [b]If I read your post right, you said you're miking from 8" (inches) - If you look at my post, I mike from 6' - 10' (FEET) . So your problem isn't the mic, it's the mic position. Scott[/b][/quote] I agree , 8" sounds really close - I'm sure it is difficult to do by your own. but you need to set the good condenser about half a meter - to - meter away, pump up the level on the pre so the loudest you go is not cliping and you still get those quiet ones (if you had a compressor it would help - but if it distort in the compressor A/D it still distort) And then use a compressor or volume corves while mixing. Experiment with the pad on the pre.. Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

I have used an AT5040, Neumann M149 or AKG C414 TLII on cardioid through an Earthworks or Crane Song mic pre. The room is about 38' X 45' half carpeted, half hardwood floor. I record on the hardwood side. The distance of the mic was arrived at by trial & error - I tried different distances until I got the right blend of natural reverb. I don't have any files you can hear, as I don't use computers for recording, just dedicated hardware. I guess the 1 meter distance might be better if you're using artificial reverb, but I never liked the sound I got when trying out dynamic mics. I think large diaphragm condensers sound much more natural. There are a lot of variables involved, not least of which is how the digeridoo will be used in a final arrangement. A high quality mic & quiet pre-amp are important in my set-up, as is a very good sounding room. I get a very natural sound with lots of ambiance - which probably wouldn't work in an arrangement that included amplified instuments, drumkit, etc. Scott

Archived