Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Critical Bands and Mixes

How important is the critical bands of the ear in the mixes ??? And how can I use them for make good mixes ??? One example, you have 3 guitars in a mix (a mono mix), all the guitar tracks are from the same guitar and the same mic technique. The band are conformed with a drummer, bass ,a vocal, and these 3 guitars. And the producer of this band are very interested of he can hear perfectly what the guitars are doing all the song. (remember the final mix is mono). I understand the principe of critical bands of human ear, but I need different techniques for apply this to mixes.

• 1 year later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan, what I can offer is an interview I'd read with Lynyrd Skynyrd a few years ago, their three guitarists tried to use different EQ settings and their different playing styles to differentiate between themselves; working with a mono mix that's about all you've got to work with.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b]Dan, what I can offer is an interview I'd read with Lynyrd Skynyrd a few years ago, their three guitarists tried to use different EQ settings and their different playing styles to differentiate between themselves; working with a mono mix that's about all you've got to work with.[/b][/quote]That, and creative arranging of the guitar parts themselves.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Normally panning would be used to help. In each section you need to pick the 'focus' part and accentuate it with eq and level and less (or A LOT more) reverb. Bring in mids in different places on the guitars i.e. 900mhz on guitar 1, 1.2k on guitar two with some rolloff at 6k, etc. Drop the bottom (200mHz and below) on one of the tracks, compress to taste, done.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived