Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two new pieces of gear from the Midi Assoc. Superbooth video really stand out!

These controllers are exactly the type of expressive gear which make midi such a wonderful musical playground.

Can’t wait to play with these new controllers on a Karma enabled rig!

PEACE

_
_
_

• Like 2

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

I've been revisiting our backing track system after a couple years of it being dormant because we'll need it at least once this Summer. Along with adding new sequences I also created a track to control her new keyboard, automating patch changes so she won't need to fiddle with knobs. She was thrilled and she told her friend on the phone that it was like magic. I said, 'it's the magic of MIDI'.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

MIDI:

Diving headlong into a subject which has been a chosen mystery to me for years. While I’ve used midi for decades there was never the click in my brain until recently, to go looking under the hood. Already having so many “open hoods” over this brief existence, I just figured leave midi alone.

well I got the midi bug two years ago and the fever is raging so please pardon my exuberance with past and future posts.

Wondering if anyone has come across a midi effect or processor which can capture and sustain a midi event(s) from a flow of midi events, buffer the entire midi stream and then release it without hanging up the midi events waiting to get thru, continuing to flow once sustain is released?

does this even make sense?

Not a cc64 applied to a note or other, but a “capture and sustain” of the entire midi stream…

An ALL midi events sustain/buffer pedal ?

PEACE

_
_

_

Here is a short video illustrating the midi event control behavior described above. Have reached out to Karma-lab for hopefully a better understanding… KLF thread

In the video I’m using Karma-lab’s MW software and the Korg Karma workstation with a Triton rack… along with some custom midi controllers in development.

Nothing for sale, just for share…

PEACE

_
_
_

• 1 month later...

What am i missing?

ok, ok, plenty…

Why are there “no” inline midi effects pedals? 

I have several pieces of old rack midi processing gear which does some very limited realtime midi stuff but nothing like in the audio signal world of rack and pedal effects!?!?

Synths, keyboards, workstations, daws, vst host all have some form of “software” which offers midi effects. But what if I’m playing a gig or mostly just jamming and I simply want a midi effect which doesn’t exist in my current rig. Why not simply a pedal on my pedalboard alongside every other pedal I might use…

otherwise, this is a great remedy for G.A.S., focus on stuff which doesn't seem to exist!

IMG_1182.thumb.jpeg.e5f79373041a694b41df02461cf10197.jpeg

PEACE

_
_
_

1 hour ago, Thethirdapple said:

My Yamaha MFC10 has an assignable MIDI pedal. It can be assigned to any of the 128 MIDI Continuous Controllers.

I would suspect there are others.

But I don't know what you mean by an 'inline' pedal. 

Notes ♫

• Like 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

58 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

But I don't know what you mean by an 'inline' pedal. 

Apologies, "inline" is not clear in this context. I am thinking in terms the most simplest : instrument -> processor -> result

Such as with a guitar which has no onboard effects and so we use pedals to flavor the instrument before getting a result.

IMG_1183.thumb.png.330499bf391a485faecf40453cf5b833.png

And so why not have an analogous midi world of pedals to add flavor to midi instruments/controllers. As an example, older midi enabled synths simply don't have certain onboard features which most workstations and many synths have today. Vintage vector synths are awesome but are limited in so many ways. Using a computer or mobile device to run midi plugins is not yet as rewarding as plug-n-play audio effects... Why not something like this(within polyphony limits):

midipedal_001.thumb.jpeg.b9e2ad335641e369c627817f066c9e45.jpeg

in this case scenario the pedal is simply receiving midi events and transmitting realtime modulated events back to the instrument. Or perhaps a really sweet 88key controller with a pedal board of midi options to feed any number of sound modules...

We seem to be near a moment in which polyphony and "processing" power is unlimited and available to the masses...

PEACE

_

_

_

There is a useful aspect of the MIDI-ox virtual port (PC only) that allows fairly powerful processing of the midi passing through it.  Things like CC replacement, note transposing, velocity alterations, etc.

It would be fairly simple, technically, to install Midi Ox into a single board computer with a couple midi ports added, and make an inline midi processing box.  The 'devil in the details' would be in creating an effective user interface that doesn't have 100s of layers of menus.

• Like 1

When I first started using pedals and half-rack Boss boxes with a Minimoog, I quickly learned that my best friend was a noise gate. Without it, things sounded like they were in a frying pan or a high wind. Modern pedals clearly have far less issue with that now. Grit & noise capability are often selling points rather than negatives. Geez, I just got a more solid grip on the subtle merits of LFOs. I'm not up to the single-MIDI-event-lane challenge!

Wait, I'm a lying scuz. I have Wavestate native. Never mind. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

17 hours ago, Thethirdapple said:

It sounds like what you want are pedals with the kind of MIDI plugins included in various DAWs. Cubase has by far the best roster - arpeggiators, gating triggers, delays, MIDI velocity compressors/expanders/limiters, chorders, etc.

I think it's a great idea. A little backstory - there used to be a MIDI FX standard called MFX. I believe it was originated by Cakewalk, but Steinberg used it too. So like VST audio plugins, you could use MFX in Cakewalk or Steinberg DAWs.

However, I think maybe the MMA dropped the ball on standardization because eventually the various DAWs all went their own ways. Maybe I'll poke around the MIDI Association forum and say "hey, maybe you should come up with a MIDI FX standard for MIDI 2.0."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Yamaha MFC10 works this way:

MIDI controller → MFC10 → Synthesizer → Amp (Preamp)

The MFC10 can assign the rocker pedal to any of the 127 MIDI Continuous Controllers. I don't know what else you can control at the MIDI level. Certainly not phase, reverb, tape delay, etc.

There are other things you can do with it, but I've never explored that part of it. I bought it to change MIDI patches with my feet for when my hands are busy, and the assignable rocker cc pedal was a bonus.

My setup:

Yamaha WX5 Wind MIDI controller → MIDI Solutions Foodswitch Controller (I use this to transpose the WX5 to be concert, Bb or Eb so can switch to and from either tenor or alto sax in the same song and be in the same key) → Synth Modules (YAMAHA VL70m and TX81z or Roland XV5050) - Mixer/FX/Amp/Speakers

Here is the manual; https://asia-latinamerica-mea.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/317935/MFC10E.pdf

Some of the other functions are explained.

It's a bulletproof unit. I've had it for well over 20 years, and it hasn't failed me yet. I have 2 spares, just in case, but have never needed them (yet).

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

7 hours ago, Anderton said:

The MIDI effects in DAWs like Cubase are quite different from MIDI devices that send CCs and program changes. They're more about MIDI signal processing than routing/utility functionality. 

I'll have to look into that. I've never needed MIDI effects, but who knows? I don't know what I'm missing.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

11 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I'll have to look into that. I've never needed MIDI effects, but who knows? I don't know what I'm missing.

@Notes_Norton Agreed, using pedals with cc commands sent to synth’s or sound modules (computers) which modulate a parameter is what we are “all” doing…

what if the pedal itself had the “function” or effects directly in it and not the synth. Just like audio effect pedals. In my limited searching there seem to be two choices for midi processing, vintage rack mount patchbay/processors and software “plugins” of some sort or another…

Craig gives some good descriptions here pf software:

Midi plugins

And these are the type of vintage rack units:

Rack midi effects

PEACE

_
_
_

2 hours ago, techristian said:

Where was this? Is it a yearly thing?

Dan

Superbooth happens in Berlin every year. It used to be a big booth at Frankfurt Musik Messe, but when Messe imploded, Superbooth kept going. 

It doesn't look like there's going to be Synthplex (which is kind of similar) in LA this year.

I feel like any free-space controller (like a glove that maps the space it's in) really needs some resistance/haptics...maybe with hydraulic or pneumatic tubes. You really need some feedback.

The fluid-zone drum bar, though? Please take my money...that would look so much better on stage than my multipad (in a keyboard rig).

• Like 1

"For instance" is not proof.

• 2 weeks later...

MIDI abides...

It is extremely funny stop for half a second and ponder the reality of tunneling midi, thru a wifi service from 2005, on a single laptop host running MacOS from 2018 to a virtual-machine on that same laptop running XP sp1... all this to use an un-paralleled piece of XP midi software from 2001 so as to drive 2022 ios/Mac software replicants of synths from near the dawn of MIDI...

without any cables

we live is a crazy world

bonjour_rtpmidi.thumb.png.53cd47be9f37655bd9a354c8919e6ae5.png

PEACE
_
_
_

On 8/13/2024 at 2:22 PM, zeronyne said:

I feel like any free-space controller (like a glove that maps the space it's in) really needs some resistance/haptics...maybe with hydraulic or pneumatic tubes. You really need some feedback.

I always figured the feedback would be visual, like you'd see your hand moving in a 3D space, like an Atmos object or something. I seem to vaguely remember a harp-like interface where you moved around light beams for the necessary feedback.

• Like 1

The OBJECT of my affection, is orientated towards midi...

Has anybody ever used this "wrapper" called W?

The “boxes and wires” approach is only the first step toward modularity. Previous systems, such as MAX (Puckette and Zicarelli 1991), PCL (Teitel- baum 1985), and Bars and Pipes (Fey and Grey 1989), require programmers to work within tightly constrained runtime environments. This makes it difficult to reuse pre-existing software. In contrast, W places minimal restrictions on pre-existing soft- ware. In effect, W is “software glue” that joins mod- ules together. Alternatively, W is a “universal wrapper” that adds a veneer to existing software so that it can communicate with other W software.

The notion of object orientated midi "events" has entered my curiosity. A similar concept which has been exploited on several software platforms, where an "object" is analogous to an audio clip. And that midi-object(clip) can be reused and modulated as needed outside of a timeline and with independent tempo. fine, thats ok if you want to control or play loops...

I am looking at it from the point of view of a midi events stripped of its "timestamp", whether in buffer or not, and have the variables of the event be an object which can be called to in programming or realtime performance.

Not exactly sure of what I'm getting at or what my brain is sparkling with...

PEACE

_

_

_

ScreenShot2024-09-05at10_06_15AM.png.259fe9c49c2cdf0039db764e6d5b06b1.png

W.pdf

REALTIME ARTICULATION OBJECTS

I have been going down a rabbit hole, towards something akin to “object orientated midi articulation”…

Or perhaps better suited terminology is Realtime Articulation Object. Which is essentially a library of GE’s which can be expressed in realtime as events are captured and analyzed by the KARMA engine.

Not as a “switch”, by using “out of range” key splits such as in many DAWS, such as cubase, DP etc… but as a realtime articulation as Im playing! Cause otherwise thats just pressing a button while I play which takes me away from playing…

An early morning “coffee and gummy” example might be:

Trigger a simple C major chord, with each of its notes(entire chord) being articulated in unison as is currently the function, or interestingly with each note of the chord having independent articulation from each other.

- root note with subtle vibrato
- make that E sustain a bit longer
- and perhaps the G slides into diatonic extension

These multiple GE (articulation objects) could then applied in realtime based on key and chord recognition with all sorts of expressive variables to modulate and articulate in realtime creating sonic delight.

PEACE
_
_

_

8 hours ago, Thethirdapple said:

These multiple GE (articulation objects) could then applied in realtime based on key and chord recognition with all sorts of expressive variables to modulate and articulate in realtime creating sonic delight.

I'm pretty sure MIDI 2.0 makes this possible, so the question is whether, and how, someone will implement it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1