Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drag and drop MIDI and audio loops from VST's within DAW's.

This may be my favorite feature of some VST's. When using XO by XLN to create drum parts I can use the excellent features of its internal sequencer. In DAWs such as Live you can then drag the MIDI loop to a cell in the MIDI track, or drag an audio loop to a cell in an audio track. Each has advantages. With audio you can cut back on processes usage and even take those loops to hardware. With MIDI loops you can tweak the rhythms and modify cc information either within the DAW or with a hardware controller. It is a great feature that I make more and more use of. Some of the Roland Cloud instruments will do the same thing. TB-303 and the various vintage Roland drum machines also do this.

Do you use this feature? What are your favorite instruments for dragging and dropping audio and/or MIDI loops from VST to DAW?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drag-dropping midi drum patterns from a fairly vast selection of midi drum packs I've added to Superior Drummer 3 has been my primary method for creating backing tracks, and my own tracks, in Digital Performer for many years.

There is a whole lot of exploration, and just messing around, I'd like to do with the drummer in Logic 10, loops in Ableton, and revisit Reason eventually but I'm in a music crunch mode yet again and have to get some work done fast for upcoming away gigs in June and July.