Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Show me your carts

Trying to select a rock n roller cart. My ds88 is in a long 60” soft case. Wondering if I really need a 60” cart. Or if I even need a rocknroller.

I used the drummers cart once. Dolly with the solid metal plate that lays down into a cart, I put my DZR10 on one end and my cord box on the other. DS88 sat across the 2 clearing the metal plate.  

I could do  the same with a 52” cart with one end folded down. That way maybe my X stand could be stood up against the other end. With a 60” cart and 60” case i couldn’t do that without laying one end down.  Or maybe 🤔 hang or bungee  the Xstand off the outside end??

Would be great to see what others are doing. A pic can be worth a thousand words……..

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

I don't have a pic of mine loaded.  I have an R14 (not sure about the "G", mine is a few years old).

My rig has been a lot smaller and lighter in the past couple years, so this is overkill.   It's come in very handy though--when you need a cart, you need one!

It's quite heavy and I only use it when I do the math...if I can do multiple trips and they are not too long, vs loading up and securing everything.   Happily it's very maneuverable.  I will say that fully extended the R14 can cause issues in elevators.

I didn't bother with a model with 'off road' type tires.  I thankfully don't do a lot of resort-type gigs where i need to go over lawns or dirt (why are resorts the worst load-ins....).   I suppose the tires might be replaceable later, not sure if they are a standard size/type.

Which leads to one option--loading keyboards vertically.  With an 88, maybe not--might not make it through doorways.  However, soft cases obviously aren't made for stacking.  My keyboard stands have not been great for being under anything (wrong shape).  With a Nord Stage 3 compact, I load it vertically on end.  I put a furniture blanket folded on the bottom, even better would be a piece of wood.  Otherwise you might get some tipping as it will be on the one metal bar.  I have a Husky tool cart for cables and bits that rolls when I don't use my cart, but stacks nicely when I do.   Having as many stackable things as possible is ideal!   I load the keyboard(s) on end closest to the handle I use, then the Husky tucked up against it/them to keep them from moving or tipping.     Stand goes on top of the Husky which is flat on top.   This works better for me than trying to lay keyboards flat, as my Nord has a soft case.  It also means I don't have to extend it and that makes it easier to get through tight areas.  

Finally, when everything is loaded I wrap the ensemble with wide bungees.   These stay on the cart wrapped around the long handle.   Straps would work too.   I've found that the thing to be careful of is items tipping off to the side.  Obviously in the most typical config, you have a steel handle in front and in back, so the bungies go around all this to form a sort of wagon.

The question--would I buy again?  I got mine on a nice sale, they are expensive.   I might consider a multiple-option handtruck (one that can lie flat, or on an angle) if I had to do it again.  Or maybe not!  I don't see any reason to change now that I have it. 

1698316653_IMG_2107116.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a picture of my cart with live rig. I don't remember which R&R model it is, possibly 12 or 14. I've had it for 15-20 years and it will extend enough for an 88 note flight case. On my cart, I have my NS3 Compact in flight case on the bottom, then my SKB 4 space rack and pair of Anvil briefcases that hold my cable snakes, IEMs, batteries, etc. Then there's the red pedal board with wheels and bungee cords holding my custom welded Z stand that mounts on the pedal board.

This works pretty well for me. Originally the larger tires were the inflatable type and they kept losing air. So I ordered replacements that are just hard rubber and won't go flat. 

If I had it to do over again, I would get a cart with large wheels on both front and back. The small wheels are often a pain on rough terrain or larger sidewalk lips. My drummer has a bigger cart with aggressive tires that will go anywhere.

With my cart, I can roll into the gig with just a single trip. When I get home, I load the gear back on the cart and roll it into the gear closet in my garage.

IMG_2182.jpeg

• Like 1

^ That shows the big advantage of hard cases with carts.  I have to use a lot more bungies, and things still aren't as secure as that looks.  The weight of everything lying flat is what gives it stability.

It gets difficult if you want to have light portability at some gigs while keeping things stackable for cart gigs (as I do!)  I have a cart gig maybe 1 in 10 times--if that was closer to say, half, I'd probably just go all in on "cart lyfe" and use it every single time and use hard cases.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stokely said:

^ That shows the big advantage of hard cases with carts.  I have to use a lot more bungies, and things still aren't as secure as that looks.  The weight of everything lying flat is what gives it stability.

It gets difficult if you want to have light portability at some gigs while keeping things stackable for cart gigs (as I do!)  I have a cart gig maybe 1 in 10 times--if that was closer to say, half, I'd probably just go all in on "cart lyfe" and use it every single time and use hard cases.

I have been a stickler for hard cases dating back to the '80s, when my earliest synths were in flight cases. I've had a life of various extensive touring with buses, roadies, equipment trailers, etc. Hard cases are a firm requirement for this sort of gear transport, so I've always had hard cases. In current times, I'm more of a weekend warrior and I move all my own gear. There may be a rare gig that entails an equipment trailer or maybe I load my stuff into the sound man's box truck for back to back shows...yet I still feel way more comfortable having the right kind of protection for the gear.

I have a soft case for my other NS3 that I use for rehearsals...as I don't love the weight of the flight case for 1-2 rehearsals a week!

I've thought of getting a flight case for my pedal board, though it would be overkill and I do have some backup pedal boards if the need arises.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Funny I had a plumbing problem in my apartment recently and had to empty my little HAVC closet I had some things stored in there.   I still have my fifty plus year old dolly well it is actally the platform with wheel from my old Ampeg bass amp from the 60's.   I used that thing on tours, for my own gear, and helping friends.  Fifty years the original wheel are show their age but rest it fine.   You can still see  the "Bobby Whitlock Band"  stencil on it from the first tour I was ever on.   

But what I would recommend is what we had at the rehearsal studio I worked at,  you know it was good because they got ripped off by bands all the time.  The platform is wide so can put a lot of stuff on these.   It is a collapsible platform dolly and you can get them at Harbor Freight and similar places.    Few years ago I moved from tiny studio apartment on one end of my apartment complex to a one bedroom on the other side.    I got a dolly like  below and moved everything myself even things I thought I'd need help with.  Collapsed it down and fits in a your car.   The only issue with mine was I guess I didn't tighten down one of the wheels enough when I put them on.   So I just ran to store and bought some Loctite and remounted all the wheels and no problems since. 

PlatformDolly.thumb.jpg.85d499589966d521918e2943cd8a97f7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

After much research recently, I decided that the typical carts sold by music vendors would not hold up well for my purposes. 

So, I settled on the item linked below from Westco. It seems that if you go to the Westco site, they display a 2023 catalog where that item is not currently shown. However, It is still listed at B&H Photo Video site along with two other style options.

I did not purchase it from B&H as I knew that some modifications may be needed and I wanted another item. Both were available locally from an industrial vendor and they performed the mod to the cart without charge. 

It is lightweight, yet strong, has a folding handle and can accommodate 550 lbs. 

To assist with transportation, I also purchased a Magliner Curb Ramp also linked below.

I found that the cart when loaded swayed to the right or left and could be hard to control. So, they reversed the rear swivel wheels to the front to be more like a shopping cart. I will see how it works with the mod for the first time later today.

I do have large custom ATA-flight cases from Calzone, but have not used them vertically on this particular cart as of yet. TBD.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1156366-REG/wesco_272112_aluminum_folding_handle_truck.html

https://www.magliner.com/curb-ramp-yellow-molded-engineered-plastic

These both can be purchased for a comparable and reasonable amount. They will be more rugged and better options to the usual items that we see musicians using.

Your milage may vary....

• Like 1

Got the same Rock and Roller cart with the smaller front wheels as those posted by Stokeley & Eric. .   It's served me well, and has paid for itself many times over- at least for indoor gigs.

However, with outdoor summer concert series starting, it really sucks trying to roll it on the grass & gravel stage access points you often encounter.

Thought about upgrading to the R&R  model with larger front wheels but geez- the price has gone up to $300 plus..   Anyone used this kind before?   They have several with single shelf in keyboard sizes, and the netting is removable. 

Single shelfwith drop down 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFQJDVH1/?coliid=IE387LHVQPID7&colid=6QCA2AEDZMCT&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

71vSAkAQWRL._AC_SX679_.jpg.6fb73f978c3fad4e5e14571da4f793cf.jpg

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

1 hour ago, obxa said:

Anyone used this kind before?   They have several with single shelf in keyboard sizes, and the netting is removable. 

Single shelfwith drop down 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFQJDVH1/?coliid=IE387LHVQPID7&colid=6QCA2AEDZMCT&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

71vSAkAQWRL._AC_SX679_.jpg.6fb73f978c3fad4e5e14571da4f793cf.jpg

Recently I saw a post (might have been in a FB group) where a keyboard player was using one of these and seemed to be happy with it.

I'm not sure I'd trust the cloth and rivet construction over time. We have a cart very similar to this, but smaller and more of a wagon form factor. We use it at farmer's markets to cart around plants and stuff. I don't feel like it has as robust of a build quality as I'd want for transporting keyboard gear.

• Like 1

I believe AnotherScott had tried out (and may be using) something similar. 

I bought a simpler version back when my kids were doing weekend soccer tourneys or we went to the beach, mine was also just a wagon.   One annoyance with mine as a tall person was that the handle was short, making me stoop to pull it...just another chapter in the tall person's burden saga (also see: checking hatch heights on cars before buying for forehead intersection, and hating flying!)

Certainly if I had to go on grass, gravel or sand my cart wouldn't work well at all.   

28 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Certainly if I had to go on grass, gravel or sand my cart wouldn't work well at all.   

Your rock and roller, or the "soccer cart"?   The handles do look a bit weird, and l agree with Eric they look a little delicate. But Amazon has liberal returns......  Another Scott you care to weigh in?

I'm thinking of this just  for a few specific outdoor winery gigs I do.   In their infinite wisdom, they built the stages with gravel access only.  Probably for electric golf carts.  My R&R cart (and the  poor sound company's racks) fail miserably on those. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

1 hour ago, obxa said:
2 minutes ago, obxa said:

Another Scott you care to weigh in?

Yes, that looks very similar to the one I described in those other threads I linked to above. I posted pics of it loaded up with gear, it's worked well for me. Though I can't recall what surfaces I've used it on, to the extent that people have questions about that.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, mcgoo said:

Here's mine. Rock'n Roller Cart R6 I believe

Wow Thank you!  I'm an idiot. I stack  stuff in the car this way. Never thought to do keyboards vertically. The knuckle dragging fool I am, always do the keyboard  lengthways and cart fully extended.  Which also makes it harder maneuver around corners and elevators.  I've seen the light- at least for gigs with cement access.

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

17 minutes ago, mcgoo said:

good strong Bungee cables are a must!

That looks like the answer, though I remember a post on MPN sometime ago about dangerous bungees.  I know mine are scary old and frayed. 

I'd love to know if there are "safer" versions you or others recommend?

Have a guitar player friend who uses and loves those knuckle busting ratchet end type nylon straps but  kind of a PITA to deal with.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I know I avoid metal ended bungees.  And just always be careful with them, "walk" them back until there is no tension.  I make certain that they aren't going to come loose from whatever they are hooked on--no iffy angles where a little twist would cause them to pop off.  I use some wider ones I got from Amazon.  Probably not the very strongest ones you can get, but mainly I'm looking to keep my stuff from gaining any momentum.  Ideally you can load it where the stack of stuff would stay in place under normal transport, it's the bumps and turns (and ramps) where the bungees really help.  I think to really hold an awkward heap in place that didn't really stack well, and wanted to fall without support, I might go with ratchet straps with zero give.

Put it this way, when I've transported kayaks on my car, I don't use bungees.  I use ratchet straps :)  I don't want that thing to move an inch at 70mph and the wind and bumps are trying every second to make it do so.  Flip side, Eric's pic he barely needs a strap or bungie, it's nicely stacked and doesn't want to move.

• Thanks 1

Once you start committing over $250 to a gear mobility device you're out of the bush leagues. 

As someone who has hauled tons of video and film equipment over every type of terrain imaginable, I have one suggestion.... Magliner or it's knockoff, Liberator. 

Buy once, cry once.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie now serving the Lord in Bryant AR)

1 hour ago, BluesB3 said:

Once you start committing over $250 to a gear mobility device you're out of the bush leagues. 

As someone who has hauled tons of video and film equipment over every type of terrain imaginable, I have one suggestion.... Magliner or it's knockoff, Liberator. 

Buy once, cry once.

Show us what you’re using or share a link, at least? Asking for a lot of friends. :)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Cosco shifter with 2 larger replacement wheels from amazon. about 70 bucks total. Folds up to nothing and lives in the car. see details here: 

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/185858-busking-proof-of-concept-any-ideas-for-carting-gear-around/?do=findComment&comment=2951812

That's what the drummer on my current gig is using! I was impressed by the look and build of the thing and was going to ask her what it was. 

1 hour ago, BluMunk said:

That's what the drummer on my current gig is using! I was impressed by the look and build of the thing and was going to ask her what it was. 

you HAVE to spend the 8 bucks and get the 2 replacement wheels off amazon though.  Makes a huge, huge difference.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eric said:

Show us what you’re using or share a link, at least? Asking for a lot of friends. :)

We'd usually use a Gemini Sr. or Jr. in the flat mode but we were hauling a lot of stuff.

For a two board keyboard, powered speaker, stand, and assorted cables and junk, I'd go with something like the 111-AA-1060 with the flop down 301026-F4 extended nose. Weight about 30#. 500# capacity around $300. There's an advantage to a two wheeled handtruck if you can get away with it.

The two keyboards and keyboard stand vertical (I have one SKB hardcase and a soft case) against the frame of the magliner, powered speaker on the extended nose anchoring the keyboards, hard cheap attache style tool box holding DI's, Vent, music binder, and assorted wall warts and midi cables on top of the speaker. K&M music stand desk, Samsonite vintage makeup case holding XLR, 1/4", & IEC cables on top of the attache case, and soft Panavision swag bag holding gig essentials (ibuprofen, bandaids, nail clippers, 1/2 pint of whiskey, business cards) on top of that.

111-aa-1060_2.webp

magliner_1.webp

• Like 1

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie now serving the Lord in Bryant AR)

On 5/16/2024 at 7:43 PM, BluesB3 said:

Magliner or it's knockoff, Liberator. 

Wish I had bought a Magliner YEARS ago.

This puppy has a 1000lb capacity and serves dual purpose as a dolly or a cart.  Fewer trips between stage and truck.  I got the optional ramps behind the wheels for stairs.

new-cart-01.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Real MC said:

Wish I had bought a Magliner YEARS ago.

This puppy has a 1000lb capacity and serves dual purpose as a dolly or a cart.  Fewer trips between stage and truck.  I got the optional ramps behind the wheels for stairs.

new-cart-01.jpg

If it ROCKS.... it ROLLS