Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Montage M8x as an External Instrument in Logic

Seem like a Logic issue but I can't seem to figure it out:

Montage M8x Firmware 1.22
Logic 10.8.1
Mac OS 14.4.1
Mac AUDIO/MIDI is setup properly. No Logic Environment settings.

Montage M8x, setup via Logic:
1. M8x setup properly in Logic as a Mackie controller, using Montage M Port 2 for in/out
2. M8x setup as External Instrument using MIDI Destination Montage M Port 1
3. M8x in "MIDI Rec on DAW" mode from M8x Quick Setup Menu - Local control is clearly OFF
4. Play the M8x and I have MIDI echo despite Local Control OFF
5. Change Logic track from "External" to a soft synth and back to the M8x External and the MIDI echo is gone. No changes to M8x setup, no changes to Logic settings other than swapping external to software synth and back to external instrument.

Save the project, open it and the issue is back. 

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Motif, Can you clarify a bit more what you're trying to do?   I just got mine running and am able to simultaneously:

(1) Receive the Audio Channel USB from Montage.  (Logic Audio Track)

(2) Receive and play the Midi data over USB in Logic from Montage with their ESP vst.  (Logic internal midi track with vst set to Montage).

(can play midi notes from Montage keybed or internal logic keybed)

If you can walk me though additional connections and settings I can try to reproduce the issue.   Would like to learn in the process.

(I'm using Montage 1.22, Logic 10.8.1, OS 14.1.1)

Edit:   Potentially a difference between Logic's Internal and External MIDI track?    Not sure what the difference is since the Internal MIDI track receives external MIDI data just fine.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I'm just recording the M8x as MIDI data in Logic. See the video:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0937-67fMKy3z2pSwnBkyReXw

Added as an mp4 attachment.

Thank you!

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

I think I see what you’re trying to do.   You want to record midi from the montage and transmit that midi thru back to the montage for record monitoring and playback.   Do I have that right?   

How is MIDI getting to and from Logic from the montage?  USB to host only, or any other connections?

Also, how did you set up your logic channel? External MIDI?  

If I do something as simple as set up a External MIDI Track with Montage Port 1,  I can record and playback MIDI from and to the Montage with no echo (USB to Host only);  See screenshots below.

If you can go through the creation of a single track from scratch in a brand new logic project to illustrate it, I can see if I can reproduce it on my end. 

Screenshot2024-04-08at15_20_20.thumb.png.7350041209abdf464408e84503246087.png

Screenshot2024-04-08at15_21_42.thumb.png.92f8e5d7f96fcfe39f4b78ab79143ae9.png

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

USB for audio/midi...that's the way it's setup

What I'm trying to do?

• This is basic midi data recording that I did 30+ years ago in Digital Performer.
  • Yeah, did you watch the video?
    • If so, explain the MIDI echo that exists when set to the M8x as External Instrument but it does not exist when switched to a soft synth.
    • Then switching back to the M8x when it disappears, only to re-appear when the Logic project is re-opened

For the record, I'm betting that this is a Logic issue not the Montage M.

Either way, I'm just trying to get stuff done without techincal interruptions....poop to that!

Using:

Sold/Traded:

Yeah, I watched the video.  I wasn't able to tell how you had originated your track though.  I see there are audio in's which doesn't make sense to me on a midi track.  Is your audio echoing from your USB audio input?

I generally find that isolating the problem through simplification (i.e. starting from scratch and adding on until your problem appears) will sus out the issue.

That's what I did..  Just made a midi track with Montage external instrument (see my screen shots) and it worked as expected, so there's some problem deeper in your track setup. 

Agree it's definitely a Logic issue.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The audio track is irrelevant. It is not in record mode and monitored when the (MIDI echo) issue occurs. If I delete the Audio track completely, the issue still exists.

Using:

Sold/Traded:

My recommendation is to eliminate all extraneous variables:

Here would be my procedure:

1. Start with a brand new clean Project:  Empty Project

2. Add a new track:   External MIDI track with Montage MIDI in and out.

a) Use External Instrument Pug-in checkbox-  Unchecked

b) MIDI Destination dropdown selection - Montage M Port1 - 1

3. Turn your local M8x off.     Play some keys on the M8x.    Logic should receive MIDI and transmit it back to the M8x where you will hear it without echo in it's headphones. 

4. Assuming there is no echo on step 3, add step-by-step complexity to your project until echo appears and this should narrow down the culprit. 

a) If you hear echo in step 3, then there is some fundamental issue with the Logic and Montage connection.   Possibly multiple midi cables?  Echo you're hearing between Logic and Montage Audio?  I couldn't tell  from your Video where the source of audio or echo was (M8x, Logic, or both). 

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Appreciate the feedback, but we are now operating in the Department of Redundancy, Department.

Using:

Sold/Traded: