Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you like country music? Help!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey LIVE, The Jeffery Steel record isn't out just yet. Being in Nashville .. I've got a sneek peak, but look for it on Monument. or check out: http://www.jefferysteele.net The track I've been listening to is "I Can Give You Love Like That" WOW !!!! Another essential from days gone by would be the Urban Cowboy sound track. They sold the crap out of em. I'm sure Vern Gosdin has a greatist hit out there, check CDnow. Check out Tracy Lawrence's "What A Memory" it's a goose bumper man. Yoo Hoo

hay, (spelling intentional) if you don't like country then you don't like rock n roll. ray charles, jerry lee lewis, chuck berry, all made some serous country-type records, cause country is half or r&r. the eagles/linda monistat were/are hacks, but steve earl, merle haggard (one of the best songwriters in the world), johnny cash, george jones, hank williams (obviously), merle travis, buck owens, dolly parton (her new record is amazing!), etc made amazing music..... -d. gauss

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]...dolly parton (her new record is amazing!)... [/b][/quote] You are kidding! I woulda never figured that. I'm not a big fan of hers but I guess I like some of it. Is it the same type music she's always put out... real "commercial" sounding or has she gone another direction? And BTW, I like some of the commercial stuff, just not hers. Dolly is kinda like Elvis to me... if she would have had better material, she would have been an even bigger star.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

livemusic, dolly's new record is stone cold, old scholl, (spelling intentional) hillybilly, hee haw type, blugrass. 5 folks pickin' on the front porch. check out the tune "i'm gonna sleep with one eye open from now on." ... about as far from shania twain as you can get. -d. gauss

Old School: Johnny Cash, Jim Reeves, Don Gibson, Patsy Cline, Buck, Waylon, Chet, Lester & Earl, and Doc Watson. Nowadays: Mavericks, Dwight Yoakum, Junior Brown, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Trisha Yearwood. You might see some grey areas in there, as I drift from bluegrass to mainstream, but these folks made or make sounds that my ears enjoy. PS: Dolly Parton's new album is wonderful. Very, very traditional, and a breath of fresh air. [ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Arjay ]

Essential Country: [b]Old Time/String Band[/b] The Carter Family Bristol Sessions Jimmie Rodgers Collection Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers Sam and Kirk McGee Roy Acuff Collection The Blue Sky Boys [b]Post War Country[/b] Hank Williams, Sr. (3 volume Best Of) Red Foley Collection Eddie Arnold Collection Maddox Bros. and Sister Rose Bob Wills (anything from this period) Louvin Brothers Floyd Tillman [b]Modern Country[/b] Any reputable collection from the following: Johnny Cash Patsy Cline Don Gibson Merle Haggard Johnny Horton Waylon Jennings George Jones Loretta Lynn Roger Miller Tammy Wynette Conway Twitty Willie Nelson Ray Price Porter Wagoner Webb Pierce Lefty Frizzell Buck Owens Wynn Stuart [b]Current[/b] Jim Lauderdale (Planet of Love" and "Whisper") Steve Earle ("Guitar Town") Marty Stuart ("Hillbilly Rock" and "Tempted") Rodney Crowell ("Diamonds and Dirt" and "Keys to the Highway") Emmylou Harris (anything) Gram Parsons (anything) Mandy Barnett("I've Got a Right to Cry") Elizabeth Cook (self titled on Atlantic) David Ball ("Thinkin' Problem") Buddy Miller (anything) Kim Richey (self-titled first record on Mercury) George Ducas (both records on Capitol) Allison Moorer (anything) Stacy Dean Campbell ("Hurt City") Alan Jackson (anything) Leeann Womack (first record) Jann Browne (anything) That oughta get someone started on a decent collection of country music without the blatantly bad music by the likes of David Kersh, Kenny Chesney, McGraw and Hill, Lonestar and the majority of Classic Rock worshipping, Auto-Tune babies they call Country these days. IMO.

Archived