Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond CV vs Hammond A105

Out of curiosity, what are the pros and cons for both , the Hammond CV and the A105.     Hammond CV with a 147 leslie...         Which is the better of the two..

An A105 is essentially a B3/C3 in a cabinet with internal speakers. Likely made in the 60's-ish.

A CV/BV is 2 revisions back from a B3/C3. Likely made mid-late 1940's. Similar in sound, but also slightly different...

A105 has much more value IMHO....

• Like 2

It depends on the CV. Early CVs had no bass foldback this can be cool.  The bass runs all the way down the manual.  It’s deep.  The early full bass models should have 91 tone generators.  

It has ratchet drawbars.  Drawbars changes are not smooth and changing registrations mid chord makes obnoxious popping noise.  

Stock CVs are not self powered.  They are powered by the cabinet.  

There is no percussion of course plus some other generator differences.  

CVs can have great tone.  One of my favorite rock organs is a CV. But there are disadvantages. However… Money can fix most anything though. 

ps -  I don’t want to sound like I’m suggesting CV is the better organ.   A CV in good operating order can be really cool but all things being equal the 3series is definitely the better organ and that extra 20 years of age often makes a big difference.   

• Like 2

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You cannot mix Trek percussion and chorus vibrato on a CV if you add percussion  An A105 was probably the top of the line Hammond of it's time ....more expensive than B3 or even RT3. 

What CEB said. Also, vibrato is not split, meaning you can't turn it on for only 1 manual.

AFAIK, all tonewheel consoles up to B-3 had 91 note generators. Later models had irregular shaped tonewheels for the pedal tones (called "complex" tonewheels) in an attempt to make the pedals more harmonically rich.

My first ever Hammond was an oddball. It was a B-2, (B-3 without percussion) however it also had a generator which had the early smooth tonewheels for the bottom octave. This allowed me to bypass the foldback on the 16' drawbar and bring those deep pedal tones to the manuals. Once I added an Orgonics tube percussion unit, it was a tone monster.

To this day it is a mystery why that generator was in that particular organ. It must have been swapped in before I ever got it. It had been a road organ for early St. Louis musician Tommy Dean - still had his name painted on the fall board.

• Like 1

Moe

---

Many of the A100 series organs i've played have had sweet tone, i've played a CV series twice (same organ) but the organ had issues and the ratcheted drawbars were a little annoying.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

A100 gets my vote. 

• Like 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

23 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

You cannot mix Trek percussion and chorus vibrato on a CV if you add percussion  An A105 was probably the top of the line Hammond of it's time ....more expensive than B3 or even RT3. 

Huh? My church has a BC that was updated to be a BV. We added trek percussion to it and the chorus still works. Can you elaborate?

• Like 1

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/