Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brad Mehldau

4 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

But I wonder, if someone had never heard the original, had no familiarity with the words or original tone of the song, would this be a perfectly good piece on its own merits? I don't know the answer to that, because I can't "unhear" my knowledge of the original...

22 minutes ago, TommyRude said:

I’m on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I think it’s incredible, other worldly. 

I consider Old Man a priceless treasure, to be exalted and revered for generations to come. 

I heard some years back, a cover is best when it meets or exceeds the original.  

The biggest challenge for an artist/musician covering a well-traveled or beloved song or tune is being able to own it in one way or another.

Some listeners won't appreciate a cover song or tune anything different from how they heard and remember it. 

OTOH, fans of the artist/musician and the cover song/tune can appreciate the approach and delivery. 

When playing covers trying to please every listener could be a slippery slope. 

The artist/musician just has to do it according how they feel and let the chips fall.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"