Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Frankly, I don't give a NAMM, or How much gear do you really need?

Winter NAMM. Christmas for gear sluts. Most of the stuff that we'll be drooling over for the rest of the year will be in one place for one long weekend. I can't wait to see what they're going to come up with next! But wait a minute. Let me think about this. Do I really NEED any new gear? I've got most of the bases covered - recording, signal processing, instruments, monitors. Even if the new stuff is cooler than the stuff that I already have, will it be worth it, or should I just try to get more mileage out of the stuff that I already have? My wish list - - 24/96 everything - analog synths - more tracks of HDR - more and better digital mixing - a full-blown Giga system - the latest hot keyboards - gobs of soft synths - the latest release of Logic - a new Mac running OS-X - sampling reverb - tube channels - LA2As and 1176s (real and modeled) - DSP farm cards compatible with Logic - a couple a new basses, including a Lakland 6-string - a Fatso - lots of channels of Apogee conversion What I actually need - - upgrades for Logic and EXS24 (streaming?) - OS-X on the Mac that I already own - an extra soft synth or two - a second distressor - a second U5 - a backup MasterLink (just in case...) - more hours in a day What about you? What's your NAMM wish list? And how much of it do you suppose you really need? ;) [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Dan South ]

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do I really need? A new faster PC so my demos don't bog down, 'cause I'm running on a dinosaur. Everything else would be "nice to have"...but, all this stuff...I'd never learn how to use it, so, for me, I'd rather pay someone "studio rental and engineering" so I don't have to learn it and become hence more frustrated at my lack of knowledge.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hey, it's another one of [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003932&p=]Dan\'s DAMM NAMM threads[/url] ! ;) Good topic [b]Dan[/b]! [b]My wish list:[/b] [b]•[/b] 24/192 everything (That's where it's headed - let's just be done with it!) [b]•[/b] VST integration in Digital Performer and ProTools (not through third party support) [b]•[/b] ProTools HD/192 [b]•[/b] Analog synths [b]•[/b] Gigasampler for Mac (or better Giga loading in HALion) [b]•[/b] OS X compatibility for all Mac apps (Again, that's where it's headed - let's just be done with it!) [b]•[/b] Cool controller boxes [b]What I actually need:[/b] (In order of planned purchase) [b]•[/b] Another synth, or two, or three (maybe [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=002777&p=]some of these[/url] ) [b]•[/b] ProTools HD/192 [b]•[/b] A pair of A.D.A.M. S3-As [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: soapbox ]

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Oh, less....definitely less. I don't maximize what I have already. BUT In this day and age, I'm afraid that going to NAMM will help, what with all the technological downsizing of what was once a grand and awe-inspiring experience...the Recording Studio (cue cherubs and trumpet-blowing angels).
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

What I really need: Lexicon PCM-91 Lexicon PCM-91 Lexicon PCM-91 Sound-proof drum room Martin D-18 Roland JV-1010 Roland A-37 SKB Gig Rig Rack-mountable PC case Oohhhhh....I WILL have these things...One at a time....But I WILL have them eventually! [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Duhduh ]

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by Duhduh: [b]What I really need: Lexicon PCM-91 Lexicon PCM-91 Lexicon PCM-91 Sound-proof drum room Martin D-18 Roland JV-1010 Roland A-37 SKB Gig Rig Rack-mountable PC case Oohhhhh....I WILL have these things...One at a time....But I WILL have them eventually! [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Duhduh ][/b][/quote] Just my humble two cents, but I think you'll do better to invest in different reverbs from different manufacturers than to buy three of the same model.

Being a self confessed new gear addict I just love this time of year. Wish list: - A Cubase VST where I can run more VSTi at the same time. 8 is not enough. - more cool VSTi - A D'Angelico NYL-2 for those jazz sessions. What I really need is: - Very low-latency sound card so I can finally play those soft synths properly. Even more important with Steinberg Warp around the corner. - Powered near field monitors. My present monitors suck. - a faster Mac (also for all those great VSTi) - an extra hard disk - 512 Mb more RAM - a better singing voice - better song writing skills - better arranging skills - better mixing skills - better time planning skills - better understanding of what motivates non-creative people Happy hunting to all of you who will attend NAMM! Best regards, Mats Nermark

"I don't need anybody or anything!... Except this lamp!... And this ashtray!... [url=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0079367][img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783226799.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img][/url] All I need is this lamp and this ashtray! That's all I need!... And this goldfish bowl!..." [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: soapbox ]

What do I need? -An 88 note piano-action synth that won't be outdated in two years. I was pretty well sold on the Yamaha S80, then the Motif series came out with a substantially improved sound engine. Trouble is, I'm not gonna buy another workstation, and The Motif 8 is too damn big to shlep around from gig to gig. I'm waiting to see if Yamaha will release something like an S120. Identical to the S80, but with the Motif's sound engine. That, or at least a rack version of the Motif. Come to think of it, where are all the Yamaha modules? Are they the only MI maker who doesn't offer a rack version of their synths? - A piano type sustain pedal with a female 1/4" socket on the back instead of those flimsy permanent cables with molded plugs that wear out and are a PITA to change. That way, you could just hook up any audio or speaker cable to it and make it work. What I'd like? - Alesis resumes production on the Andromeda and produces enough to meet the demand. That way, in a couple of years I can find a mint condition secondhand one for $2K or less! -Big Briar releases the Minimoog Voyager, and it sounds and plays like a million bucks (we already know what it [i]looks[/i] like), and everybody wants one. Then they step up production enough that everyone who wants one can get one, and the dealers start offering discounts. That way, I can get a [i]new[/i] one for $2K or less! -Tom Oberheim regains the Oberheim name, and re-releases the Matrix 12 for $3000. That way, I can...Oh, you know! :D Peace all, Steve

><>

Steve

All I need is a great song; all the other stuff is just a means to that end. Just one good song that is universally loved by all. (is that too much to ask? ;) ) The recording stuff I already own is 'better' than the Beatles had in their day. I have no excuses.. But, a couple of nice Neumann's and a hand-made pre or two would be great.
In two days, it won't matter.

Are you kidding? I learned from Roger Nichols well. A good gear slut is a dead... no, that's not right... Anyway, I only really need a good stereo compressor - recommendations anyone? - another faster PC devoted to music apps, and some sort of Roland unit so I can have those boss sounds, like those saxes. What I will buy will be an entirely different matter... :D
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

[b]My wish list:[/b] [list] [*]Meet the most of you, guys and gals at NAMM [*]Have a great time [*]Learn the most about the new products [*]Bring back great info for EQ en Español and my Forum [*]Celebrate my Birthday having fun at the Argentinian dinner [*]Buy some cool gadgets [/list] [b]What do I actually need:[/b][list] [*]All of the above [/list] :D ... see you there !! [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: GusTraX ]

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

[quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]What's scary is that soapbox had that image readily available for posting...[/b][/quote] LOL! Actually that image is from a great site, [url=http://us.imdb.com/]The Internet Movie Database[/url] . I visit there frequently, especially when I see a familiar actor on TV or in a movie who I just can't place. It's kind of like [url=http://www.allmusic.com/]All Music Guide[/url] , but instead it's accurate! ;)

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]All I need is a great song; all the other stuff is just a means to that end. Just one good song that is universally loved by all. (is that too much to ask? ;) ) The recording stuff I already own is 'better' than the Beatles had in their day. I have no excuses.. [/b][/quote] Cool! Better get to work!! ;)

What I want: A quad 1.4+ GHz Mac G5. 24 faders worth of Logic Control GT Vipre preamp Distressor Some tits convertors A cherry Hammond B3 ADAM S3-A monitors What the hell... a mackdaddy Alsihad-HD system. Why not? What I need: Emagic to have better dual CPU implementation in Logic 5. FMR RNC compressor Langevin dual vocal combo. A DSP card for native systems that actually lives up to its claims of zero CPU load. The new RME Multiface breakout box. More space.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

My wish for NAMM is that the powers that be at my company would've gotten our booth earlier...then, we'd have actually been in the NAMM directory...so people could find us if they wanted to... ;) If you're looking for them ADAM monitors, we'll be in Booth 1532, in the lovely, scenic and somewhat subterranean Hall "E". dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

[quote]Originally posted by NYC Drew: [b]What would I like... 1. More hours in the day. or 2. Becoming more efficient & productive with the hours that I do have...(gotta get off these damn forums! :) ) NYC Drew[/b][/quote] AMEN!!!!My sentiments exactly.I already have too much,I already have 24/32/96 everything and the speed and the cards to do whatever I want.I'm not even a keyboard player and besides owning a Korg and a rack full of synths,I have Giga and a slew of VSTi's.My problem is trying to remember what sound I wan't/need out of a kazillion presets/samples.Somehow I got way more done when I had much less.Too much stuff.too many options and not enough time.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

oh no.. i could be here for hours... :D [b]what i want[/b] just about damn near everything [b]what i really need[/b] -just about damn near everything, including -sound craft ghost -ms2000 -triton -an I/O -guitars and basses -A computer -FX, pedal and outboard rack -amps and speakers -mics (sm57's, d112's, c3000......) -98 hours in a day -money or replace all this with a girl :D

Archived