Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody here watch the Telethon???

http://www.azstarnet.com/mda/postcardtel/jlcam.gif

I don't know what it is with me, but watching this thing has become a bit of a tradition. If I don't see at least part of it I feel like something is missing from my life.

I've been watching this thing since I was a little kid. I remember my friends and I used to kind of brag to each other about how late we stayed up watching it..."Well, I made it all the way till 3:30am".

I always liked the 'community' aspect of it as well. I'd see something that was happening out in Vegas somewhere, and then they would flash back to my town where our local luminaries would be gathered at the mall talking to people and showing how much money they had raised.

My wife cannot stand Jerry Lewis. If I REALLY want to piss her off, I say "Hey Laaaaaaaady" in my most nasal voice. She usually gives me the evil eye, and then slaps me.

She just doesn't understand my devotion to watching the Telethon....especially in the middle of the night. But when else am I going to get to see Steve Lawrence sing a duet with Jerry Lewis, or watch a couple of suits from Philip-Morris hand Jerry a check for 5 million dollars??? You just don't see this stuff everyday!

Does anybody else share this strange obsession???

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I always have to catch some of it myself. It was a drag back in the '70's, because the local station carrying it would always have the "Red Garter Band", consisting of banjo, tuba, clarinet and trombone playing background music while the station's weatherman, Joe Glover, would wheedle excessively. I've always felt bad because I aspired to one year whatching it from start to finish. Haven't yet, and Jerry's looking like he's not much longer on this Earth.

But I caught the tribute to Henny Youngman with Lewis, Steve Lawrence and some guy I couldn't place trading off Youngman's famous one liners. Hilarious.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Caught some of the acts. Maureen McGovern's voice / presentation is still tops. And what a super backup band. Kinda makes you wish that variety shows still had a place on TV.
WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

A few friends and myself caught the first few hours of it while shooting pool. Early in the program, during the MDA camp spot, both friends were pictured on the telethon. THey both volunteered at the MDA camp this and most summers. I walked away thinging about what a waste my summer of working had been...
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

I used to watch as a kid. Then I grew up and moved to Tucson where I saw their impressive and obnoxiously expensive building in the most expensive part of town and then saw nothing but Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW's in the parking lot. Robert Ross, CEO made $360,894 in 2003.

Then just last year, they wanted us to come and play down there for the local telethon. They gave us a pretty difficult schedule and expectations, told us there was no TV exposure (even local) then told us they expect us to play for FREE once we gave them our contract with our price!

Needless to say, we didn't go--nor do I ever wish to. I feel that there are local charities which need our help much more desparately.

Originally posted by Super 8:

My wife cannot stand Jerry Lewis.

I'm with your wife....

.....Not like THAT! Sheesh. Grow up.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Archived