Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greatest Rock Keyboardist of our generation?

On 2/19/2024 at 12:01 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

Roy Bittan? 
Billy Preston? 
Wix Wickens? 

I even thought Wix’s early 90’s playing in You-know-who’s band was impressive (such as his ‘piano’ solo’s on the ‘Tripping the Live Fantastic’ album).   

• Like 1

I’m sorry but while there are so many wonderful rock keyboard players listed here, I am truly shocked there is only one mention of Leon Russell. Truly THE greatest. I wish I had time to list all of his achievements and in more detail, but quickly … his credits on literally hundreds of hit songs throughout the 60s, in every style and genre you could imagine. One of the first usages of synth on a rock record (1968, Asylum Choir… I only know The Monkees preceding it). Conceiving organizing arranging conducting and playing in Joe Cocker Mad Dogs and Englishmen, one of the greatest live rock ensembles of all time. Inspired and contributed to the development of the Linn Drum with Roger Linn who was his engineer and guitarist at the time. Literally stole the show at Concert for Bangladesh from a stage full of superstars. His songs covered by everyone from The Carpenters to George Benson, Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Jerry Garcia, Barbra Streisand, Donny Hathaway, Tedeschi Trucks, Aretha Franklin, Amy Winehouse, BB King, Herbie Hancock, Eric Clapton…. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee. Largest concert draw in US 1973. Basically wrote, performed and produced Watching the River Flow for Dylan.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LilyM said:

I’m sorry but while there are so many wonderful rock keyboard players listed here, I am truly shocked there is only one mention of Leon Russell. Truly THE greatest. I wish I had time to list all of his achievements and in more detail, but quickly … his credits on literally hundreds of hit songs throughout the 60s, in every style and genre you could imagine. One of the first usages of synth on a rock record (1968, Asylum Choir… I only know The Monkees preceding it). Conceiving organizing arranging conducting and playing in Joe Cocker Mad Dogs and Englishmen, one of the greatest live rock ensembles of all time. Inspired and contributed to the development of the Linn Drum with Roger Linn who was his engineer and guitarist at the time. Literally stole the show at Concert for Bangladesh from a stage full of superstars. His songs covered by everyone from The Carpenters to George Benson, Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Jerry Garcia, Barbra Streisand, Donny Hathaway, Tedeschi Trucks, Aretha Franklin, Amy Winehouse, BB King, Herbie Hancock, Eric Clapton…. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee. Largest concert draw in US 1973. Basically wrote, performed and produced Watching the River Flow for Dylan.

I am truly shocked you didn't highlight Leon's version of Jumpin Jack Flash!?!  We all did/still-do air guitar, that one's worthy of air piano 😁👍

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

On 2/23/2024 at 4:54 PM, Sam Mullins said:

Those are three great ones. I find Steve in particular to be endlessly inventive.  You could take the guitar tracks off of Get Happy and still have a great record. 

If we're going punk era, I'm taking The Stranglers' Dave Greenfield over all others, including Nieve and Jackson.

I salute the poster who said people hired Nicky Hopkins to sound like Nicky Hopkins.

Finally, Imma throw this guy out there, even though I guess he's not on keys often enough to really qualify:

On 2/27/2024 at 5:37 PM, TommyRude said:

I am truly shocked you didn't highlight Leon's version of Jumpin Jack Flash!?!  We all did/still-do air guitar, that one's worthy of air piano 😁👍

Well I did reference Leon’s show stealing performance at the Concert for Bangladesh, which of course was his iconic Jumping Jack Flash/Youngblood medley.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

f we're going punk era, I'm taking The Stranglers' Dave Greenfield over all others, including Nieve and Jackson.

Highly weird stuff :)  Right up there with Snakefinger.  

• Like 2

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

13 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

If we're going punk era, I'm taking The Stranglers' Dave Greenfield over all others, including Nieve and Jackson.

Greenfield is on my all time greatest list, what a force of nature, so sad he passed during the pandemic.

On 2/22/2024 at 6:26 PM, jazzpiano88 said:

Hardest working man in R&R Keyboard Work.     NRBQ's  Terry Adams.     He motions to the piano and it reacts.

Every time I watch this guy I think “That isn’t how a piano is supposed to work”, and my cuticles ache just watching him. Your description of ‘motioning to the piano and it reacts’ is apt - what an effortless ability to do seemingly random things and have amazing music come out.

Of the "younger" generation I'd say nobody can rock like Jens Johansson. Not because he's Swedish too, but for the sheer width of his music. He can play jazz fusion on stuff like "Heavy Machinery" with Allan Holdsworth, rock it out with acts like Yngwie Malmsteen and Dio as well as perform beautiful acoustic piano material. He can play like Jordan Rudess but chooses not to. 🤣 His pitch bend chops are to die for, his timing is impeccable and he plays better bass on keys than most bass players...

Check him out!

• Like 1