Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audiophile usb and cakewalk hs 2004

Somebody Help!

I have been struggling with a strange problem for months. Customer support staff at M Audio have devoted a great deal of time to help me resolve this issue, but, so far no luck. No response from Cakewalk.

Here is the low down:

Software: Cakewalk home studio 2004; Window XP Home Service Pack 1; Virtual Sound Canvas, Sample Tank Free,

Hardware: Pentium 4 @ 2.6 GHz, Intel D865GBF mobo, 1 G RAM, Sound Blaster Live, M Audio Audiophile USB, Roland FP 1, Roland VK 8, Korg X5D, USB mouse.

Problem: Upon playback, the initial pitch of all virtual instrument tracks is too high. Within a couple of seconds, it usually has returned to where it should be; sometimes it continues to fluctuate. This occurs with projects I have recorded and the samples included with Home studio. If there is audio present in the project the problem does not occur.

I checked MIDI data and it does not appear to be wonky controller messages, ie pitch bend. In fact, a similar problem recently happened with an AUDIO track upon playback. No problems using the Audiophile with Windows Media Player and various games.

This problem occurs only when using the Audiophile with ASIO drivers, not WDM and I do not have this problem with the Soundblaster.

I bootded up with the USB mouse disconnected, same problem. I thought these two devices might somehow be interfering with each other.

Thanks,

Gord

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try this:

(1) Adjust everything in CakeWalk as you want it to work.

(2) Close CakeWalk

(3) Look for the file AUD.INI and DELETE IT

(4) Open again CakeWalk.

Maybe there's something in the orginal settings in CW which forces the machine to change Sample rate.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Gus there are many people with unanswered questions at the M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro thread over at Keyboard Corner. Please check it here: http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=009922;p=10

We would like to know if M-Audio is doing anything to correct the broken keys, 'sleep' problems, and velocity response problems that most users are experiencing. Some users are requesting repairs, and some have returned their unit only to recieve another faulty one. It's obvious that this product is suffering from quality control issues.

Gus, you were very active back in the beginning of the thread, but you haven't posted in weeks, and it seems like you've abandoned the thread since these problems started occuring.

Please respond, your presence would certainly be welcome in a time of need such as this.

Thread link: http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=009922;p=10

It almost sounds like the M-Audio unit might be starting out at 48 kHz and then dropping down to 44.1 as, perhaps, the sampler software feeds out its first sample with a nominal s.r. of 44.1. Under this thinking, your good luck with files with dedicated audio tracks in them might be because CW itself is sending the s.r. info as it begins PB rather than the sampler plug-in when the first sample goes through. Under this possible scenario, you'd want to check your sample rate settings from hardware to software. Most converters will attempt to sync to incoming s.r. from another device, but they also typically have a default setting. Perhaps yours is set to 48kHz?

Anyhow, it's a good sign that M-Audio was actually spending time trying to figure out your prob. All too often, stories from M-Audio land are more like the post immediately above this one...

In Homestudio, make sure under Options, Audio, Advanced, it's set to Trigger and Freewheel. Then, make sure your default sample rate is the same in Homestudio and on your Audiophile.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I just bought an M Audio Audiophile 2496 after retooling my PC from a PIII 866(it was rebooting every few minutes without warning) to an AMD Althlon K8 and I had to retire my trusty ol' Turtle Beach Multisound Pinnacle. I haven't used the M Audio card in USB or with the ASIO drivers yet which is sure to be an interesting ordeal.

My Windows Media Player and VAZ Modular don't have a problem with the M Audio card but my favorite softsynth, Reality 1.56, can't use the DirectSound driver now without stuttering and distorting. It sounds good with the normal Wavout driver but lags for a full second after the note is struck. I've got alot of material yet to be fleshed out with Reality(does anybody out there still use this relic?) and I dread the thought of trying to reprogram those sounds in VM3.

Any suggestions outside of changing musical directions?

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Well I solved it! The M Audio card has a control panel with a hardware settings page and on it I set the Latency Samples to 336. Then I set Reality to use the WavOutDirectSound driver, and also set it for More Voices with the Max CPU at 80, Max Polyphony at 128. This more than fast enough for my needs, and when I turn off the Norton Anti-Virus in the background the little clicks and pops are gone too. Reality doesn't mind co-existing with my sequencer either, all is well.

Reality lives into the Future! :love:

Steve

Originally posted by Matt.Hepworth:

In Homestudio, make sure under Options, Audio, Advanced, it's set to Trigger and Freewheel. Then, make sure your default sample rate is the same in Homestudio and on your Audiophile.

Thanks Matt,

I tried this, however, Homestudio seems not to accept this arrangement. After changing this setting, if I go right back to options, aduio, advanced, trigger and freewheel is unmarked.

Gord

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

Try this:

(1) Adjust everything in CakeWalk as you want it to work.

(2) Close CakeWalk

(3) Look for the file AUD.INI and DELETE IT

(4) Open again CakeWalk.

Maybe there's something in the orginal settings in CW which forces the machine to change Sample rate.

Gus,

I tried this but it did not solve the problem.

Thank You,

Gord

It almost sounds like the M-Audio unit might be starting out at 48 kHz and then dropping down to 44.1 as, perhaps, the sampler software feeds out its first sample with a nominal s.r. of 44.1. Under this thinking, your good luck with files with dedicated audio tracks in them might be because CW itself is sending the s.r. info as it begins PB rather than the sampler plug-in when the first sample goes through. Under this possible scenario, you'd want to check your sample rate settings from hardware to software. Most converters will attempt to sync to incoming s.r. from another device, but they also typically have a default setting. Perhaps yours is set to 48kHz?

I was looking at my M Audio 2496 manual and in the Delta Control Panel(I'm assumming you have this feature too) on the Hardware Settings page there's two options you can click on under Clocks and Sample Rate:

Rate Locked and Reset Rate When Idle. If you have this or something close click each one and see what happens.

Steve

Originally posted by Raymar:

I was looking at my M Audio 2496 manual and in the Delta Control Panel(I'm assumming you have this feature too) on the Hardware Settings page there's two options you can click on under Clocks and Sample Rate:

Rate Locked and Reset Rate When Idle. If you have this or something close click each one and see what happens.

Steve

Audiophile USB has a quite different control panel.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys. I have found a solution, albeit a little backward. When I start a project I record a short DXi track, then "bounce to track". This seems to solve the problem. Does anybody have any idea why this appears to "lock" the sample rate?

Thanks,

Gord

Something is off in regards to how Cakewalk is syncing to your audio clock. Under the project options is it to set to sync to audio and not MIDI? That's my first guess. Otherwise, it would make sense why an audio file in your project is forcing it to use the M-audio's clock.

Archived