Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg GrandStage X

9 minutes ago, jerrythek said:

Because they can? :idk:

Sure.  Just interesting because we don't see clonewheel organs with 3 piano engines.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 1/31/2024 at 8:03 PM, Fleer said:

I love it that Korg almost doubled the factory sound memory in the X when compared to the original. 
But I’m hoping they’re not using MDF underneath, the same cheap-feeling, liquid sucking particleboard they used for the OG and the SV-2. 
Then I’m out. 

Count me as another particle board MDF hater. Good dense material for stationary speaker cabinets. Bad material for any gigging instrument. Too heavy compared to lightweight plywood alternatives. Breaks rather than dents with impacts. Strictly a bean-counter rather than an engineering and marketing choice.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie now serving the Lord in Bryant AR)

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Just interesting because we don't see clonewheel organs with 3 piano engines.😎

Well, Korg's Vox Continental organ had two piano engines (the SGX acoustic piano and EP1 electric piano engines)...

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

12 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Well, Korg's Vox Continental organ had two piano engines (the SGX acoustic piano and EP1 electric piano engines)...

True. 

Some Hammond and Crumar organs contain other sounds too.

I just found humor in a digital piano with 3 organ engines.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

21 minutes ago, jerrythek said:

I’m not sure those companies already have the assets available to use. 

True.

Besides, modern digital pianos are truly electronic keyboards in every way.😎

PD

• 6 months later...

Hoping the next Grandstage product does the following

1. Re-uses the original Grandstage 88 case

2. Retains the 3 parts of the X

3. Adds drawbar control for the organ section

4. Shortens, if possible, the boot time

5. Perhaps adds a new dedicated upright piano

6. Ideally adds a sub/aux output for routing organ or bass

Voila. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

9 hours ago, The Piano Man said:

Hoping the next Grandstage product does the following

1. Re-uses the original Grandstage 88 case

2. Retains the 3 parts of the X

3. Adds drawbar control for the organ section

4. Shortens, if possible, the boot time

5. Perhaps adds a new dedicated upright piano

6. Ideally adds a sub/aux output for routing organ or bass

Voila. 

I would add. 

7. Weighs less than 18/19kgs 

8. Has SSD or space for additional sounds. 

9. Polyphony that doesn't drop below 128. 

47 minutes ago, PlayBay said:

I would add. 

7. Weighs less than 18/19kgs 

8. Has SSD or space for additional sounds. 

9. Polyphony that doesn't drop below 128. 

7. One would think they could get the weight close to the original Grandstage which was, I think, about 20kg for the 88 and 17kg for the 73

8. A quicker drive would be good to help reduce the boot time. Additional space for expansions would be good and in keeping with one of the aspects that makes Nord popular 

9. Certainly do-able

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I think the Grandstage is more of a stage keyboard dressed as a piano. Weirdly I was just playing mine, messing with Jump, Why can't this be Love, Here I go Again, Sledgehammer, Gimme some loving, I want to know what love is etc. few of those even need piano and this board has great acoustic and EP's.

Really is versatile and, while it lacks real time controls, can get you through a gig.

Not happy that I may have to sell mine to move overseas...

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

22 hours ago, The Piano Man said:

quicker drive would be good to help reduce the boot time. Additional space for expansions would be good and in keeping with one of the aspects that makes Nord popular 

Not sure this will happen as it's getting into Nautilus territory. Looks like being a preset machine that you can tweak.

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

14 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Not sure this will happen as it's getting into Nautilus territory. Looks like being a preset machine that you can tweak.

Yeh, that’s a fair point. I just think they are so close to a Nord killer and Yamaha have a lot going well on the YC, there is an opportunity to make the Grandstage really competitive. I don’t get the market for the giant Grandstage X. I mean, really, who wants one and why?

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

56 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

Yeh, that’s a fair point. I just think they are so close to a Nord killer and Yamaha have a lot going well on the YC, there is an opportunity to make the Grandstage really competitive. I don’t get the market for the giant Grandstage X. I mean, really, who wants one and why?

I have no idea, and I struggle to see the real benefits of the X over the prematurely discontinued original. In some ways feels a step back.

I do agree about the Nord/YC market but maybe Korg don't see a gap there and will continue with synths and workstations which they do well.

I am amused that they have kept the same font/name in the new board and the Keystage as if they are all still current models.

3 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I think the Grandstage is more of a stage keyboard dressed as a piano.

Digital stage piano and keyboard are interchangeable. 

Today's digital piano/keyboard offerings have a soundset that is basically a stripped down ROMpler or KB workstation. Some have tone-shaping parameters too.

Nowadays, instead of a bloated KB workstation, a digital stage piano/keyboard is really all most KB players especially preset junkies really need. The onboard sounds and variety of them have gotten very good.😎

• Like 1

PD

Indeed, the Grandstage is a few years old now, but still has a great sound set. With 550 sounds, there is something close to what you need to get through a gig. I added a second master keyboard to access the second sound giving me a full weighted piano board and lightweight synth keybed to play organ, synth, brass etc.

• Like 3