Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM Show Memories

I know most of us are looking forward to this year's Winter NAMM Show. Just for fun, however, I thought I'd take a look back at an SSS thread [b]Dan South[/b] started, [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000682&p=]Hot DAMM! tell me suppm\' \'bout NAMM![/url] , discussing [i]last year's[/i] Winter NAMM Show. These were my first extensive posts at this site and my introductions to such site "heavyweights" as [b]Dan South[/b], [b]alphajerk[/b], [b]Curve Dominant[/b], [b]Phil O'Keefe[/b], [b]Valky[/b], [b]Lee Flier[/b], [b]Fletcher[/b], and others. I enjoyed rereading the thread and recalling my visit to last year's show. It was also fun looking at the show in hindsight... 1) At last year's show, Alesis looked stronger than ever. The first production units of the very cool Andromeda were on display, and Alesis previewed the ADAT HD as well. In light of Alesis filing for Chapter 11, it looks like they had overextended themselves... 2) I got to see Digital Performer 3.0 ("due sometime in 2001") a half a year before it was released and watch an Altiverb demo. However, MOTU had not yet announced the 828...except to [b]Craig[/b], that is... ;) 3) Digidesign previewed ProTools 5.1 [i]and[/i] 5.2 and I got to see the debut of the Control|24. 4) I also saw the highly anticipated Propellerheads Reason demo a month or two before its release. 5) I watched alone as TC Works demo'd their PowerCore. Few people at NAMM seemed interested in it! 6) I spent three days touring the show at Winter NAMM, and somehow I missed the announcements of HALion, Melodyne, and the Radikal Technologies SAC-2K. It's a BIG show! What will I miss this year? In November, some of us made some [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003452&p=]predictions regarding this year\'s Winter NAMM Show[/url] . Digidesign has already made my prediction of new ProTools hardware come true (not too surprisingly - they were overdue). What else will this year's show bring? I can't wait to find out! -------------------------- P.S. After my January posts, I quit posting at SSS during February because I was working around the clock to finish a project. In March, I began posting again, and I started exploring the other forums here as well. Thanks [b]Craig[/b] and everyone else for all of the fun! Geoff [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: soapbox ]

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SONAR users- Without saying WHERE I got this info- I'd heard from a reputable source, that SONAR and Reason might be sharing a common denominator, maybe it will be some kind of DXI plugin for Sonar, or maybe Some kind of ReWire DXi style (Dont hold me to it though, I'd heard this about 6 mos ago, alot can change in that time). I'd also heard that UAudio might be doing something with Sonar. It makes sense that companies would want to make sure their products work with SONAR. After all, it is huge in the US and was voted second in the UK behind Cubase. It really doesn't make a difference to me though. As am utterly content working in Logic 4.81 :D What would really be cool is an MPC style drum controller with knobs ala Oxygen 8. Everyone buys one of those just cuz they have 16 big pads with velocity.But they'll probably blow it by making it small like a Boss DR770, with only 8 levels of sensitivity. If someone does it right they could be sittin on a gold mine with that one. What would be cool is a port we can plug straight from our brain right into the computer, Then we could do away with keyboards, Mice, Screens, controllers,5hit, maybe even drugs. Yeah, maybe some kinda USB 2.0 with extended bandwidth. I could probably get away with USB 1.0 cuz there's not much bandwidth goin on upstairs. I'm goin out to ride my Bike up Sullivan Canyon, now. I'll see you at (viet)NAMM. If you see some guy standing in the corner mumbling to himself, dont laugh, just throw me some money :D

Oh, and I dont know if any of ya fella's have heard this, It migh be old news. But Digidesign is working on some sort of laptop solution. I heard all about from a friend who saw it, but didnt quite catch all the details. So i'm not going to go into it, But all I remember wasw something about it being Stereo, some Michelob Light,A USB or Firewire, another Michelob Light,Built in MIDI, Yet another Michelob Light. And me arriving home early enough to see the City Workers start their day- Catch my drift. Gee, I hope I cant get in trouble for this.

Jomag, it's called the MBox. $495 suggested retail. 2 channel (Focusrite designed) mic preamp with phantom power (also useable as line inputs), S/PDIF I/O, MIDI I/O, uses USB, comes with Pro Tools LE. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA [url=http://www.ssrstudio.com]www.ssrstudio.com[/url] pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

[quote][i]Originally [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000682&p=2]posted[/url] by dansouth@yahoo.com[/i] Thanks to Soap, Breeze, Craig, and all who took time to post NAMM-news. Next time you're in NYC, lunch is on me.[/quote] Hey [b]Dan[/b], sorry I haven't made it to New York yet. Is there any expiration date on that lunch offer? ;)

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b] Hey [b]Dan[/b], sorry I haven't made it to New York yet. Is there any expiration date on that lunch offer? ;) [/b][/quote] No, but your slice of pizza is looking a little fuzzy. ;) Mine was delicious...I think...can't quite remember...

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b]1) At last year's show, Alesis looked stronger than ever. They debuted the very cool Andromeda and previewed the ADAT HD and a MIDI drum set.[/b][/quote] Andromeda was debuted at Winter NAMM 2000, not 2001. The DM PRO kit was shown at Winter NAMM 2000 as well, and was actually in production even before that, IIRC... dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

[quote][i]Originally posted by Dave Bryce:[/i] Andromeda was debuted at Winter NAMM 2000, not 2001. The DM PRO kit was shown at Winter NAMM 2000 as well, and was actually in production even before that, IIRC...[/quote] [b]Dave[/b], I bow to your expertise on matters of Alesis. However, could we define "debuted?" I realize that the Andromeda was announced at the 2000 Winter NAMM Show, but wasn't it unplayable and under a glass case? Perhaps I missed out; but at least I know that I didn't get my hands on a working Andromeda until 2001 Winter NAMM... As for the DM PRO kit, I obviously missed out in 2000... Thanks for the correction [b]Dave[/b]. I certainly don't want to spread misinformation, and I've "fixed" my opening post. :) Best, Geoff [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: soapbox ]

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b]Dave, I bow to your expertise on matters of Alesis. However, could we define "debuted?" I realize that the Andromeda was announced at the 2000 Winter NAMM Show, but wasn't it unplayable and under a glass case?[/b][/quote] One of them was. The other one was fully playable, and set up inside the demo theatre - I was standing behind it during most of the show. Andy #1 was played by George Duke, Keith Emerson, Greg Phillinganes, Bob Moog, Don Buchla, Marcus Ryle and a bunch of others too... ...and I still have it... ;) :D You are right that Winter NAMM 2001 was the first show that had production units, though... dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

[quote][i]Originally posted by Dave Bryce:[/i] The other one was fully playable, and set up inside the demo theatre - I was standing behind it during most of the show. Andy #1 was played by George Duke, Keith Emerson, Greg Phillinganes, Bob Moog, Don Buchla, Marcus Ryle and a bunch of others too... ...and I still have it... ;) :D [/quote] Very cool! Too bad I didn't find my way to the demo theatre in 2000...

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b]These were my first extensive posts at this site and my introductions to such site "heavyweights" as [b]Dan South[/b], [b]alphajerk[/b], [b]Curve Dominant[/b], [b]Phil O'Keefe[/b], [b]Valky[/b], [b]Lee Flier[/b], [b]Fletcher[/b], and others. Geoff [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: soapbox ][/b][/quote] Geoff, I know I need to loose a few pounds, but I'll thank you not to refer to me as a "heavyweight"! :eek: ;) :D [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

BTW, in the some things never change department: 1) A year ago, [b]Fletcher[/b] was bitching about NAMM Shows... 2) Last year at this time, [b]alphajerk[/b] was looking for a controller that would work well with Digital Performer... 3) Last but not least, [b]Dan South[/b] was giving things away... ...In this case, it was a [b]free[/b] lunch (and people say that there's no such thing as a free lunch)! Hey everyone, don't go changin'! :D :cool: :D

Look up "Saint" in the dictionary and you'll likely find a pix of Dan. :) [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Archived