Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does smoking really affect your voice?

It seems to me that smoking cigs would destroy your voice over time. Can anyone say it's so? Does anyone know artists who have seriously compromised their voice from long-term smoking?

I have this new friend who is around age 40 I suppose and I dunno but she's probably smoked a very long time. She and her husband, hell, the whole damn family smokes. They are addicted. We have to take smoke breaks for their fix when practicing. But man, can she sing!

She continues to be "baffled" by her troubles with her voice. Can't hit the high notes like she used to. She kind of cracks or gets phlegm in her throad. I do that too and I don't smoke but her situation is rather bad sometimes. It's kind of getting her down.

So, last night, I told her husband "Hey, what about quitting smoking? Don't you think that could be it? Didn't Joni Mitchell or somebody have to lower the key to sing in?" He agreed that "She needs to try to quit again." I wish he would, too! Man, this is one smoking family. At least they do go outside. Except for the computer room.

I post this because I would like to help her. This girl can really sing. Sounds like Grace Slick. Perfect pitch and deep (and a big range), STRONG voice.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by NYC Drew:

Smoking has ABSOLUTELY no effect on the voice.

Signed,

To Tobacco Cartel

I thought you were being truthful but then see you signed it "To Tobacco Cartell" and I guess you mean "THE" Tobacco Cartel. Meaning, you are sarcastic?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

From what I understand, Nat King Cole attributed smoking with helping him get his distinctive tone.

It also killed him in his forties.

I've watched relatives slowly die of lung cancer from smoking cigarettes, and have an aunt who now has advanced lung cancer. It's not the way you want to go. Ain't worth it for any vocal tone quality.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Joni Mitchell is on public record talking about how smoking has changed her voice, but that she has no plan to quit (or, apparently, desire to record again).

Aretha Franklin is a great example. Have you heard her lately? She's got pretty much all of her range and power. She attributes this to quitting smoking about five years ago (she also blames her blooming weight on quitting).

Like Cherri, back when I sang in smoky bars, I would have trouble the next day.

LM,

Since I work with a lot of acts - some over the hill, some approaching it...most seeking the assistance of doctors and voice coaches to keep whatever voice they have left....

It would appear from casual observation that smoking affects the quality of the voice. We already know it affects the lungs in so many ways, and lung capacity and a good (*strong*)singing voice go hand in hand.

Me, I look at the whole picture. What does it take to get my act to deliver? Some smoke weed, some cigarettes, some - hot tea - whatever. If you're looking in that instant, smooking has as much effect as anything else on the voice.

Using a long term view, the jury's still out...

Didya miss the smiley on my post?

NYC Drew

hey hey you la,la landers!

Smoking most definitly affects ye olde vocal cords and your VOICE

Roger D sang about it and he should know. "My voice too rough from ciggerettes" in that song you know it..

Smoking will roughen up a sweet voice and kill the person as well.

I smoked and now I don't and my vocs are stronger and cleaner and more able to withstand consecutive play out dates without going hoarse.

way back when I could NEVER schedule a play out date too close to the last one cause my vocal cords had to rest. NOW I can do a show everynight for a week before My voice begins to go, so two dates back to back are now "No problemo mon'"..

as far as the high notes, as a person ages his or her voice will deepen in timbre in most folkes.

So I've had to tune down a step in order to hit the high notes. I can still hit 'em just in a lower key! ahahaha~

Only dopes smoke ciggies. Ciggies are addictive like HEROIN and will kill you as dead as HEROIN will.

Get rid of the Smoker sanger and finde one that ain't a'gonna coff up a loogy onto the mic

she ain't got any hope just EIGHTY-SIX the smoker sanger and finde a REAL SANGER. theys millions of em'.. Millions I say..

thanks for lettin' me share.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Take this however you want...

But I used to mess around with singing and stuff while i played. I'm not a great singer, but i think it's safe to assume i did `ok'- i know when stuff is in or out of tune and why, and i could do some relatively melodic stuff, harmonize with the guitar or myself (with help of the 4-track)... etc

Anyways... a year ago in Sept. i quit smoking- i did a pack a day for 15 years...

About 5 weeks after quitting smoking, i lost all my range- I've got about an octave whereas before i easly had 3 `comfortable' octaves.

Before, i could go down to Eb (the lowest one off the end of the guitar neck) and come up to about A or B (on the little E string) before going falsetto.

Now, it's all G# (on the lowest E string) to about the D string.

I'm sure that if i worked with it, i could probably get all the range back, but i'm pretty discouraged. That, and my voice has changed considerably. It sounds younger and healthier, but IMHO it sounded much more ballsy and Rockish before...

Oh well... i'm not gonna start again :D

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

This woman has lost about 40 lbs, not by plan. She has been going to doctors to figure out what's wrong. Of course, good news is she looks fantastic and losing the weight is a good thing, you would think. I did not know her when overweight and was surprised when they showed me pics of her before. They have run all kinds of tests to no avail. She is having trouble with her stomach. I hope it's no biggie. She is now asking the docs why they have not attributed any possibility to it simply being stress. Her daughter was molested last December.

But on the voice thing, it could be age-related, for sure. But it "sounds" like doesn't sound like it's just a reduction in range... when she craps out a note when we do a new song and don't know the right key to do it in.

As for smoking, I wish the nasty things were never invented but I don't want to bitch to people. I just don't want to smoke it. I am very anti-smoking. It's amazing to me how many people smoke. Especially young people. From my estimation, it's an extremely high percentage of 20-somethings that smoke. Way up there. I was an idiot when I was 20-something and drinking but you would think with all of the evidence these days, they would know better.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

But on the voice thing, it could be age-related, for sure. But it "sounds" like doesn't sound like it's just a reduction in range... when she craps out a note when we do a new song and don't know the right key to do it in.

well, iirc, when you arrive at a chord in the song, the vocal line will only sound `fitting' at either the tonic, 3rd, or 5th. In top down songwriting this is usually what they do- have the vocalist sing, and then stuff the chords underneath... in bottom up, you have the chords first, and then the vocals are limited to a degree.

You can use the minors, like 2, 6, 7, etc, but it may or may not fit the mood. Experiment and see.

However, when you say "voice just craps out" well, if you mean that it just erupts into a husky groveling sound, there's probably not enough fundamental tone or overtones in it to make it fit with anything....

That said... If she's mysteriously losing weight, that's definately a red flag. The fact that she's got all sorts of stress in her life might attribute to her health problems (maybe she shouldn't quit just yet? :D )

To be blunt, perhaps she's got some issues in her life she needs to resolve. Needs to get her shit together before she gets involved in a band. Or maybe being in a band is therapy for her. Maybe you'd do good to find a different fronter for now, but if she's a decent singer and you'd prefer her, you can always give her the option of coming back after her life is straightened out.

It's a very complex issue. Losing or gaining weight instantaneously is kinda scary, though, especially when it's got other issues, such as stomach problems.

I forget the name of the illness, but i know a lady that just had a few polyps removed from the back of her cerebellum, and had similar symptoms to that. Doesn't mean this is what *this* girl has, but it goes to show that it's something you want to have checked out.

(sounds like she is though)

Now on the smoking part, i dunno if quitting will help her voice at all... it may change it, better or worse, though.

Good luck, man.

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

well, iirc, when you arrive at a chord in the song, the vocal line will only sound `fitting' at either the tonic, 3rd, or 5th. In top down songwriting this is usually what they do- have the vocalist sing, and then stuff the chords underneath... in bottom up, you have the chords first, and then the vocals are limited to a degree. You can use the minors, like 2, 6, 7, etc, but it may or may not fit the mood. Experiment and see.

I must admit I have no idea what you are talking about. I mean, what does this have to do with singing a note or not singing it? Unless you mean changing the arrangement to alter the melody.

Needs to get her shit together before she gets involved in a band. Or maybe being in a band is therapy for her.

I don't need a fronter, as I sing. But she's really good and I like doing duo stuff with a female singer. And hey, she loves my music! I like her and her family. They're like hippies. Nice folks.

But yep, she said what you said. Music is therapy for her. She said if she can't sing, she doesn't know what she will do because it's all she has ever done. But losing that weight suddenly is a red flag. Having your daughter molested, yeah, that could mess you up. But I don't know if it could cause you to have voice problems.

I think they suspect some kind of reflux problem.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I smoked for 6 years, while starting as a kid led by others in school. I quit when I was 21 and have never touched OR missed one since. Yes, smoking does affect vocals... even second hand smoke.

Smoking will also put years of age on a face... I'm glad I quit when I was young because those that I know who continued to smoke, now look like wrinkled up prunes. I don't have even one wrinkle on my face and I will be 45 in November.

I don't have even one wrinkle on my face and I will be 45 in November.

I didn't look a day over 17 until one time when i got sunburnt really bad a few years ago.

WWND?

Yeah Phaeton,

The sun can do some massive damage. As much as I love the sun and play in it; I have a tendency to wear a sun visor or bury my face in the water swimming.

Smoking though..... I quit on a bet that I couldn't do it. I initially lost the bet because the woman put a time frame and I fell back into smoking before the time limit was up. The time that I had quit though, was enough to help me realize how much sinus congestion it gave me, the dry scratchy throat (that affected my singing voice), the nasty tar coated tongue waking up in the morning......... When I came to my senses, I quit COLD TURKEY never to crave another. I don't like kissing a smoker either.... so I don't date guys that smoke; not because I'm a snob, but I just don't want to be around smoke all the time.

I managed to quit for about 3 years, and I noticed a huge difference in my range, and the tonal color of my voice.

Then I started again. (Yes, I know, I'm a dumbass) My voice is in the crapper, and I hate the way that it sounds recorded. So, I'm quitting again.

Wish me luck...

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Then I started again. (Yes, I know, I'm a dumbass) My voice is in the crapper, and I hate the way that it sounds recorded. So, I'm quitting again.

Wish me luck...

Good luck!! I hope you're able to quit efficiently and without much inconvenience. As you probably know, it's only the first 2 weeks that suck.

That's just it.. Sometimes i get a craving for a cig, you know, just a drag won't hurt right? But i know how i am and it would just turn into a pack-a-day again. As much as i sometimes want to, i'm not going to start again.

WWND?

Thanks!!

I'll probably need it.

It's just learning how not to smoke. I already don't smoke in the studio, so there's a start. Work's going to be the hard part. I'm used to cigarette breaks every 1 1/2 hrs or so...

Stay away from the damned things. It's easy to rationalize just a puff, or just 1 cigarette, but that damn near always leads back to the habit.

Oh, and the physical addiction only takes 3 days to go away. It's the psychological componant that takes forever. Sometimes literally forever.

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Freddy Mercury, 2 packs a day and a 5+ octave range (including falsetto).

Billy Joel 1 pack a day and I'd guess a good 3 octave range.

Would they be/have been better without smoking? Maybe.

I added range and power to my voice by quitting (A year ago, September 21. Yes, I miss it every day so far. I've no plans to start up, it was too hard to do in the first place and I am glad to be free from the addiction.), but I know others who lost range and tone when they quit.

I guess the point is that it is probably best for most people's voice if they quit, but it is not true for everyone.

I really don't know what to put here.

Smoking does affect the voice. When I quit, I had lost much of my higher register, but gained a lower register. Now that it's been years, I almost have that higher range back, but lost the lower range. It literally took me a couple of years to get my confidence, tone, and endurance back. I still am having a tough time getting and holding that damn G!

I also recently saw an interview with Britney Spears. She apparently is smoking now because she really likes the quality of her voice. Go figure. Personally, I think Playboy would also have a great impact on her voice!! :eek: Maybe someone could suggest that to her! ;)

Archived