Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SK(X)pro update

niacin

1997 called and want their giant centered scrolling web page back.  Even though I haven't been using my sk pro (and will likely be selling it) I was interested to see what they added...scrolling down I see one vid for a celeste, which is about as useful to me live as an aztec death whistle...is that the only update?

The important thing about this update is:

"Fixed a rare issue with hanging notes in feet when using a tonewheel sound source."

I've experienced that problem myself so this is very welcome.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There were a bunch of fixes in the previous update from October that are worth mentioning too. I'm still running one of the previous older ones due to gigging a lot but I have a break in gigs right now so it's probably a good time to do the updates.

This is the list of changes in the last OS update. I've put a few important ones in bold.

HAMMOND SK Pro / Sk Pro-73 Updater Release1.8

Oct 2,2023

Updated AreasÅF
1) Fixed the bug that the patch load parameter was turned off when receiving MIDI system dump packets due to a small number of packets.
2) Improved the problem that the organ wah input threshold was low.
3) Improved compression "effect" in the organ section.
4) Improved operation in lowest mode with pedal to lower.
5) Improved so that Custom Leslie Edit is possible even when transistor organ is selected.
6) Corrected pipe stop names.
7) Solved the problem of using S&H simultaneously with multi-effects 1/2.
😎 Fixed the bug that spring shock MIDI could not be sent.
9) Fixed the bug that MIDI transmission of tonewheel break could not be performed.
10) Fixed the bug that the note-on and all-note-off timing caused continuous sounding during MIDI reception when the VMC depth was set to near maximum.
11) Corrected NRPN Switch data transmission/reception from Off/On to Off/NRPN/SysEx.
12) Fixed the bug that it keeps sounding when changing the foldback parameter with sustain on while playing the keyboard.
13) Fixed the bug that the initial value of Favorite number 3-9 was F019 instead of F029.
14) Fixed a bug that occurred when the category button was pressed when CONTENTS was selected as ToneWheel in MENU->FILE->SAVE in screen control.
15) Fixed a bug in EXTZONE where the damper off message was not sent when the switch was turned off while stepping on the damper.
16) Improved the note on algorithm when the organ type is selected as A-100/B-3/C-3/Mellow.
17) Fixed no sounding range for Music Box.
18) Improved frequency response for some of Waveforms e.g. Clav or Glockenspiel.
19) Added Waveforms and Patches e.g. Celesta or French Horn.
20) You to adjust the upper limit of the frequency range receiving Overdrive.

Note) Since the specifications have been updated, please download the latest owner's manual from our website.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

the wording suggests there are new sounds other than the celeste - which is actually useful to me for Ain’t No Mountain High Enough, Destination Anywhere & Comfortably Numb, obviously ymmv but i don’t see the need to diss it - but without doing the update i don’t know what else is there.

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

9 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Digital Native Dance would be cool.

I believe there’s actually a patch loosely based on that already in the SKpro - check out F216 Rattle Pad. :laugh:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

4 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

I believe there’s actually a patch loosely based on that already in the SKpro - check out F216 Rattle Pad. :laugh:

2:58. Not quite the same. These pads all seem to be stripped down versions of Roland classics. The phaser pad seems like an OK stringer but the rest are thin to me.

FunMachine.

Ok, obviously I missed the patch notes even though I was looking for it.

Not dissing the celeste, just that it isn't useful to me personally so if I was looking for new sounds I'd be disappointed :)  I'm pretty happy with what I have in there, but it currently can't sniff a gig since I'm using only one board.

Funny they mention compression, since I saw a post about turning on the Nord stage compression for the organ and it made a really positive difference in the organ, adding some impact to the attack that was missing (the mojo organ has this from my one play on one).   If I bring out the Hammond again and don't sell it, I'll have to try that out.   There are obviously a ton of settings in there.

18) Improved frequency response for some of Waveforms e.g. Clav or Glockenspiel.

I'm not sure what exactly "improved clav waveforms" means, but 9 months ago I decided to forgo all of the new bells and whistles of the SKX-Pro and get the last new SKX in North America solely because I heard the Pro's clavs were worse and boy I really wish I'd known that this update was coming

14 hours ago, Outkaster said:

Just updated mine.

Did mine last night. 

Could just be my head playing games with me, but the Clavs do sound different.  Not by much.  Maybe a bit more resonance than before. 

I did notice that some of my Combos are now swimming in reverb.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

Thank goodness they've finally added that acoustic bass/trombone layer that players have been clamoring for.

At last someone got it right!

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

Can anyone recommend a flash drive that works for this? On my SK1 it was picky about what worked. Smaller ones generally worked better than large ones. Hammond says 1 or 2 gigs is enough, but I dont see any small ones these days. Does it need to be USB 3  compliant?

1 hour ago, dfcas said:

Can anyone recommend a flash drive that works for this? On my SK1 it was picky about what worked. Smaller ones generally worked better than large ones. Hammond says 1 or 2 gigs is enough, but I dont see any small ones these days. Does it need to be USB 3  compliant?

Used a 32GB off-brand for the last two updates without issue.  

1 hour ago, dfcas said:

Can anyone recommend a flash drive that works for this?

I used an older SanDisk USB 2 32GB.  Here's a trick I learned when I did the 1.7 update.  If you insert a flash drive for formatting with the power on and your SK Pro doesn't recognize it, turn the board off, insert your drive and then power up again.  If you're lucky, it will see it and you can proceed.  To put it kindly, the manufacturer's instructions are opaque on this part of the process.

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970