Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Would You Handle This Band Situation

JamPro

I got myself in a band "situation".  I made my choices and took the action I felt was correct for me.  And sometimes I second-guess myself.  I would like to describe the situation and see how others would have handled it.

So I'm playing keyboards for a few years with a band doing what I think are cool songs (a lot of Stevie Wonder; some James Brown; some Meters; some N'Awlins funk, etc.).  The band does roughly 40 gigs a year, so pretty steady work.  The BL tells us we have a gig in a few months at a local "street festival".  We are told the event will have a stage and a PA.  Forty minute set, drum set provided by venue, no need to bring our PA, $50 for each bandmember.  Cool - I agree to the gig.

Five days before the gig, the BL tells us we must show up for the gig at 2pm for sound-check, and we perform at 6:30pm - this info was not presented to us when we initially talked about accepting this gig.  There are eight different groups scheduled to perform.  Me: "what happens on that stage between 2pm and 6:30pm?"  BL: "The other bands are doing their sound-checks or their performances."  Me: "So I can't leave my keyboards on the stage after the sound-check?"  BL:  "Oh, sure you can."   Me: ????

I'm thinking if I leave my keyboards set up on stage, it will get knocked over, or have drinks spilled on it, or some other horror.  That seems like a really bad idea to me.  The alternative is to move my gear onto the stage to do sound-check, move it off stage after sound-check (if possible, back to my car for safety, but I have no idea where I will be parked), move the keyboards back onto the stage for performance, and then move gear off the stage after the performance, all while scores of other musos are moving their gear on and off the stage.  I had planned to go light for this show: my Nord Electro in soft gig-bag, folding metal keyboard stand, keyboard bench, pedals and wiring, music stand, and book of band charts.  At least two trips each way. 

When I suggest to the band that this is a logistical problem for me, they are unsympathetic: the drummer is already catered to, and the guitarist, horn players, and singer can all easily move their gear onto and off the stage.  The BL tells me these are the venue requirements, and I simply have to go along. It is now three days before the gig.

I think I have some band/stage experience, but I know others here have more experience than I.  So I wonder how you would handle such a situation.  I'll share how I dealt with it later in the thread.

I wouldn't risk much for a $50 gig...............

For the hours involved, you're getting less than $10 an hour -- not counting pack up/put away at home, and travel to/from.....

You will have to weigh the value of future gigs with the same group, as well as the relationships you have with them.  BUT it sure is frustrating to hear they aren't at all concerned about your gear!

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

In situations like this, if I don’t know the other bands involved, I bring a tarp to cover my rig while they are onstage. 

• Like 2

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

I'll be blunt, I don't think you have a legitimate complaint. You've got an ultra light rig, so frankly I don't see the big deal with setting up and breaking down a couple times.  It's not a big deal, and it will save you the anxiety of wondering if your gear is safe on stage.

Keep in mind that everything you've been told about how things will go might be completely incorrect.  Your BL doesn't really know whether they'll let you remain set up.  That decision will be made by a (probably grouchy, underpaid, hungover) sound guy or stage manager in the spur of the moment.  You may get no sound check at all. Or you may get one and then it sounds completely different on stage when you perform.

Despite the advantages of traveling light, I would always want to bring my own amp or monitor to something like this, just to be 100% sure I can hear myself. My Vox VX50KB is 9 lbs and great for that sort of thing.  

For a gig like this I wouldn't measure success by the payout.  If it's a good hang and a fun crowd, then that's a day well spent. I suspect you see it the same way.

By the way, love the description of the band's repertoire . . . I'd kill to be back in a band like that.

• Like 6

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I would tell BL you can't make it that early due to other obligations and get there an hour before. 

Some people just don't care. I subbed for a big band and the leader wanted me to actually set up right in front of the doors leading out to a food truck.

I refused and set up out of the way of people going in an out. Also, strong wind would of blown music off the stand. 

My 88 Kronos thanked me. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, re Pete said:

I would tell BL you can't make it that early due to other obligations and get there an hour before. 

That's not the worst idea.  When there are 8 bands, sound checks don't mean much, and like I said above, you may not even get one.  

It's not really about the sound check, it's about how you want to get along with your bandmates. 

11 minutes ago, Michael Wright said:

You lost me at $50.

I dunno, it depends. Love me a good street fest!  Maybe the street festival is so good you'd want to be there anyway, in which case 50 bucks and getting to play a set is just adding to the total experience. If you get off stage glowing and tipsy women want to talk to you, are you really at that point thinking about the $50? 

Or maybe the festival isn't that good, or isn't your cup of tea, or you're married with children and tipsy women are of no practical import.  For me, all of this would definitely color my attitude going into the gig.

• Like 2

The sound check isn't so the sound guy can get the eq and levels ect. It's so they can get 8 bands to show up and be there instead of filtering in right before their sets. Tell the band you'll be late, if they get mad tell them they can split your pay. A gig like that ain't about money anyways. 

FunMachine.

It's too late to gracefully decline, something to bear in mind for the future. 

Street Fests are a blessing and a curse. You may get some new fans who might come to see you at other gigs. 

Based on the outcome of such disasters that I got sucked into, for the most part, low paying street shows with multiple bands are just an indulgence of some ego-maniac who doesn't actually give one crap what actually happens and lacks the experience to orchestrate a fully successful endeavor in the first place. 

I've never seen or been in an 8 band show that started on time or even came close to keeping their schedule. 

If you want to play, be thankful that you are going on early, it's doubtful that band #8 or even #7 will get to perform. 

I'd just borrow a keytar if I played keys. As a guitarist, I'd show up 30 minutes before show time expecting to stand around for at least an hour and I'd bring one guitar in a shoulder strap gig bag with a pedal I have (Tech 21 SansAmp Para Driver) that is both a distortion pedal and a DI. 

Considering the time of year, perhaps you'll be lucky and get rained out? Best of luck to you!!!! 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Going to cast some aspersions against the BL here.  Part of the responsibilities of this role are to find out these things more than five days before the gig...and when learning of the set-up issues, IMO the band members should have been re-asked if they still wanted to do the gig.  It's not like the event will be left hanging given the number of other bands that are playing. 

Maybe you would have still been into it based on the set-up issues...maybe not.  No doubt there is pressure in bands to be a team player and for that we've all done gigs that we might have skipped if it was our decision alone.  On the other hand, there's being taken advantage of...  It seems you have gotten past this part of it and are more concerned with protecting your equipment...which is again something the BL should be helping you with especially under the circumstances.  Cool music...I was in a very similar band 20 years ago that had some similar issues.  I quit after a couple years...the BS outweighed the musical experience...

$50. Nobody cares about musicians.

If you pulled up to a group of guys in front of Home Depot and asked "I need somebody from 2pm to 7pm to move some equipment a few times from a stage to a car and back" a couple would step forward.

Then when you say "Pay is flat-rate: $50 for the afternoon" they would all return to their place in line.

It's a labor of love. 

• Like 1

All this for $50 (this was gig money in 1980) and sprung on you at the last minute.  Five hours you're stuck there between soundcheck and showtime.  Trust me, a vindictive rival band will knock over and/or damage your gear (esp in NO).  Ask me how I know.  You've been exploited.  Unless you have an expendable keyboard, tell the band you're passing on this one.

• Like 2

I've done plenty of these gigs with AWB. It's very typical to sound check, then move your gear towards the back of the stage to make room for the bands playing BEFORE you and therefore sound checking AFTER your band. That's how I've seen it done. If there's a crew there with a production manager that knows what he or she is doing, then your gear should be spiked with colored tape specific to your band. When it comes time for the changeover, the crew moves everything back into their correct positions based on the tape.

The fact you're getting $50 for this tells me that none of this is gonna happen!

I think your worries about getting drinks spilled on your stuff, or knocked over, may be overblown. Just pull everything back as far as you can after sound check. Nobody should be hanging around back there - it should be filled with other bands' gear (which will probably block your stuff, if that band is playing before yours). Again, a proper stage manager who can control the stage, along with a semi-conscious tech crew, can make a difference here. Good luck - you'll need it! 🙂 

• Like 1

$50.00, are you kidding.  this is why I quit playing out about four years ago.  the pay today is ridiculous.  I get calls from bands saying the pay is $100.00 or $80.00.  I don't think so.  I was making $140.00 a man back in 1980.  live gigs are a joke now.  I really feel sorry for the young musicians now.

• Like 2

I am in a 200 euros gig right now, with my NE5 as a sole keyboard, so I guess I would do the exact same thing under any similar "multi band" situation regardless of the fee - I would set, soundcheck, and unset my keyboard. I carry one key nowdays, so I can move it easily. These situations ask for simplicity and nobody can guarantee your keys safety. 

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

15 minutes ago, lsj said:

$50.00, are you kidding.  this is why I quit playing out about four years ago.  the pay today is ridiculous.  I get calls from bands saying the pay is $100.00 or $80.00.  I don't think so.  I was making $140.00 a man back in 1980.  live gigs are a joke now.  I really feel sorry for the young musicians now.

$50 is on the higher side of the spectrum these days. Most local festivals or city events are for "exposure". Like rain exposure and heat exposure. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

FunMachine.

This sounds like a good learning experience for a young player who has never done one of these.   The money is not what I demand but you gotta start somewhere I guess.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My buddy's band if the top country act around and they bitch and gripe and go through this all the time especially gig at the local fair grounds.    Always an early load in and sound check, then sit around for hours waiting to play.   Personally I'd be more ticked if I had to move my gear than to leave it setup on stage.   If on stage I know everything is connected right and working just need to cover it until time to play.    

To me the biggest PIA is the long hours between load in, gig, and then load out with other groups trying to get the hell out.    Yes if you aren't the headliner on  the show you better ask is venue has restrictions on load out.   Some will make you wait till venue is shutting down before letting you drive vehicles out of the grounds.   That could make that an all day affair to only playing 40 minutes.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

$50 is on the higher side of the spectrum these days. Most local festivals or city events are for "exposure". Like rain exposure and heat exposure. 

I still get paid. I just don’t want to anymore because I’m tired.  Maybe it’s a genre or locality issue.  

29 minutes ago, Docbop said:

My buddy's band if the top country act around and they bitch and gripe and go through this all the time especially gig at the local fair grounds.    Always an early load in and sound check, then sit around for hours waiting to play.   Personally I'd be more ticked if I had to move my gear than to leave it setup on stage.   If on stage I know everything is connected right and working just need to cover it until time to play.    

To me the biggest PIA is the long hours between load in, gig, and then load out with other groups trying to get the hell out.    Yes if you aren't the headliner on  the show you better ask is venue has restrictions on load out.   Some will make you wait till venue is shutting down before letting you drive vehicles out of the grounds.   That could make that an all day affair to only playing 40 minutes.   

Yes an early after load in is common for an evening downbeat but it’s not all bad.  I leave, go eat, shower, maybe check out some sites depending on where….  I’m refreshed when it’s time to play.

You need to just trust the situation.  I’d rather do this than local club gigs where you hump you stuff setup and bust your ass to be ready for the downbeat.

You have to be in a situation where you don’t work with amateurs.    Getting established can be a bitch.  

My twist:  IF I did the gig, I’d leave my equipment there, but I’d stay there the entire time (festivals can be enjoyable), and store my 88-note keyboard in a hard case on the stage.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

3 hours ago, JamPro said:

I'm thinking if I leave my keyboards set up on stage, it will get knocked over, or have drinks spilled on it, or some other horror.  That seems like a really bad idea to me.  The alternative is to move my gear onto the stage to do sound-check, move it off stage after sound-check (if possible, back to my car for safety, but I have no idea where I will be parked), move the keyboards back onto the stage for performance, and then move gear off the stage after the performance, all while scores of other musos are moving their gear on and off the stage.  I had planned to go light for this show: my Nord Electro in soft gig-bag, folding metal keyboard stand, keyboard bench, pedals and wiring, music stand, and book of band charts.  At least two trips each way. 

The only thing you care about there (in terms of damage) is the Nord, so take that back and forth (one trip), and leave the rest. 

But also, in general, for the future, consider getting a cart so 2 trips turns into 1. I've mentioned I've been happy with this one from Timber Ridge... cheap enough, holds enough, versatile enough, light enough, rugged enough (for my needs).

3 hours ago, Old No7 said:

I wouldn't risk much for a $50 gig...............

For the hours involved, you're getting less than $10 an hour -- not counting pack up/put away at home, and travel to/from.....

and gas. And you'll probably be at the festival long enough to want to get something to eat, and you'll probably spend $15 of your pay on food from a food truck.

Bring a sandwich! 🙂

3 hours ago, wineandkeyz said:

In situations like this, if I don’t know the other bands involved, I bring a tarp to cover my rig while they are onstage. 

Tarp is another good idea.

2 hours ago, re Pete said:

This could have been another way to go, if addressed earlier. If you were originally told it was a 6:30 start time, and you said yes to the gig, and then he comes back and says you have to get there at 2, you can say, sorry, you can't get there that early (family obligation, whatever, if you feel you must provide a reason), and that you could get there at 5 (or whenever you'd normally expect to be able to get there, when you'd agreed to the gig based on the 6:30 start time). And you can tell him that, if that means he has to get a sub for the gig, you understand. And then it's in his court. 

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

I'd just borrow a keytar if I played keys.

Yeah, having a board you can use as a keytar is great for these quick on-and-off scenarios. I'm not sure how much would have helped here, they probably would have asked him to be there at 2 regardless, but there are times where a 5-minute setup/breakdown is what you're after, and a keytar could be the ticket. If you don't want to invest in something like an AX-Edge, the little Casio CT-S500 goes a long way. It's also getting easier to keep stuff wireless. I've thought about keytar bluetooth MIDI to an iPad, where the only wiring is the iPad's audio out (and maybe its power, if it's a longer gig and/or you're not fully charged).

1 hour ago, counterpoint said:

Going to cast some aspersions against the BL here.  Part of the responsibilities of this role are to find out these things more than five days before the gig...and when learning of the set-up issues, IMO the band members should have been re-asked if they still wanted to do the gig.

I agree. Although we don't know the dynamics of the band, in general, BL should not have assumed it was okay with everyone, he should have asked again when more detail was available. But he probably doesn't want to make it that easy for someone to say no, he wants the other guy to feel like somehow it's HIS responsibility if there's any problem here. In fact, when informed of that detail by the venue, he should have said, "oh, that's not what we were expecting, I'll have to make sure everyone else is still available for this."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Crap can happen. I was playing a weekend Blues Festival YEARS ago. (96-99 maybe).  Us and  Stacy Mitchart Band was playing the main stage.  Paul Brown was playing keys for Stacy’s band. We were done.  Stacy’s stuff wasn’t staged yet and we were loading out.   The local stage help brought us Paul’s keyboards to our trailer.  Paul had orange roadcases.  Our guy recognized immediately they weren’t ours. We took them back to backstage and Paul was mix of emotions.  He was upset they disappeared but happy to see them returned. 😀

49 minutes ago, CEB said:

You need to just trust the situation

If you trust the situation is the key.    Guess I've been around too long on both sides roadie and musician and lots of disappearing gear from cords to complete trucks of gear.  Working for a church and how much gear disappeared. 

Bad communication, but the gig is the gig. Go do the line check and strike your keys. Go back and play the gig. Enjoy and don't spend more energy griping about it than the money you're making from doing it. In the end you're still getting to play some cool-ass music in an environment where people really want to hear it. Winning all around, for what it is, IMO.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

<sigh> this is why I would only do such an event for close friends where we intend to hang out for the day and enjoy ourselves.  a gig I’d do for free. for charity, that sort of thing.  

the pay is terrible for the time commitment and the logistics.  in any other scenario I’d turn it down.  I can’t get anyone to come out for less than $100 a hour, so why would I take such a gig? 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560