Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha P 515/ blowout prices / Yay or Nay?

mrk7421

Yes...another in my yay or nay series. Since the Yamaha P 525 has come out of course some P 515's are being offered. In my case one has shown up on Craigslist and it looks like the owner is anxious to sell it at sacrifice. The plus is that I am looking for a home instrument and I currently have a Roland FP10 through speakers. I have demoed a 515 in the past....and the Bosendoerfer sample was the one I preferred...it seemed warmer than the CFX. Is the 525 that much of an improvement? There are probably more than a few 515 owners here so...any thoughts appreciated.

515 owner here, also played the FP-10. It's a considerable upgrade over that - v major. The action is the NWX action which some have said is stiff but I prefer for training my fingers for use on a real acoustic. In fact the latest iteration of the 515, the 525, features a lighter keybed and i will not be upgrading for that reason. 

If the price is good, go for it. I've owned my 515 since release in around 2014 and have no intention of replacing it yet.

What is the difference in the sound sample between the 515 and 525? It's interesting that they action has been changed. I also have the benefit of playing a 515 and cannot find a 525 to try at this point.As far as Roland FP 10 goes...they do offer a lot for the money. The action in the same as most of their models exception being FP 90 x. And the FP10 sample not all that different than FP30 x or RD88 from what I can tell. Anyway.....looking for home instrument would not gig this

It’s all in the timing.  Are you in the market for a digital Piano?   Will you be buying one in 2023?  If yes, a well reviewed P515 is a good choice.  There will always be a new model in the pipe line.   Don’t worry about what will be, we live in the now.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

4 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

What is the difference in the sound sample between the 515 and 525? It's interesting that they action has been changed. I also have the benefit of playing a 515 and cannot find a 525 to try at this point.As far as Roland FP 10 goes...they do offer a lot for the money. The action in the same as most of their models exception being FP 90 x. And the FP10 sample not all that different than FP30 x or RD88 from what I can tell. Anyway.....looking for home instrument would not gig this

There isn't a sound sample difference, there are four more voices added from the 515- which had 40. . Here are the differences:

GrandTouch-S wooden keys (white only), synthetic ebony and ivory key tops, escapement

44 Voices + 18 Drum/SFX Kits + 480 XG Voices vs. 40 Voices + 18 Drum/SFX Kits + 480 XG Voices

Insertion Effects

16 Track Recorder

FC3A Pedal included

USB-C

Bluetooth MIDI

6 hours ago, Sunlight2 said:

515 owner here, also played the FP-10. It's a considerable upgrade over that - v major. The action is the NWX action which some have said is stiff but I prefer for training my fingers for use on a real acoustic. In fact the latest iteration of the 515, the 525, features a lighter keybed and i will not be upgrading for that reason. 

If the price is good, go for it. I've owned my 515 since release in around 2014 and have no intention of replacing it yet.

P-515, PC4-7, CK61

Venue owner had just bought one and wanted me to use it on a show that eve (sure! of course).
Loved the keybed, feel, sound was well above 'decent'.  Quite heavy though which is understandable.
Was surprised at the count of sounds, kinda slim in regard. That and the extra sounds outside of the piano were 'okay' at most.

Would I pay too much for one? Mmm...unlikely (<-- this means nothing of course. Try and get hands on with one).
Keybed/feel does play a large role for me.

I'm not seeing 'blow-out prices' however. Links?

.Regarding blowout price...my local piano shop retailer is offering his floor demo model at half price. That seems blowout enough to me. And that seems like a pretty good bargain if there isn't a significant difference in the sound samples. I don't care if it has Bluetooth etc.etc. A friend of mine swears by his CP4 and claims that to him there hasn't been enough of a difference in recent stage piano Yamaha versions for him to upgrade. I am due for an upgrade in my home instrument particularly if I can get good EP. 

Yamaha really has been offering bang for the buck lately...I was tempted by CP61 to use with another controller. If the organ was better I may have gone that route.But the 515 Bosendoerfer seems preferable regarding what I am looking for. I need to spend more time with the 515 EPs....any thoughts there?

I meant to reply earlier -- Oh, well. I spent most of the Fall trying different digital pianos and blogged my opinions. I liked the P-515 and its NWX action:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-p-515-i-played-one/

I played it several times and liked it every time. When the P-525 came out, I made a comparison:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-p-525-digital-piano-announced/

Still haven't found a P-525 to try. Since I was buying for home, I eventually settled on a CSP-170 Smart Piano (NWX). Gonna be delivered today! 🤪

Yamaha is blowing out the CSP-150 and CSP-170, too. My biggest beef with the P-515 is the lack of secondary voices. I have an MOX and Genos -- come on, Yamaha, stop being so stingy! The CSPs have a lot of good secondary voices. The same voices are available in the P-S500 -- about the same size, weight and price as P-515, but has GHS action.

Can't go wrong with any of these instruments -- pj

• Like 1

Played the 515 briefly at the dealer today and intend to go back. Listened to the phaser Rhodes and the one with the ping pong tremelo....good but I really need to be sure I can live with upper register. Bosendoerfer acoustic sample seems to be the one....which is different than CFX everyone seems to like. I really wish I could compare to Roland FP 90x....still have not heard that. If anyone has a/b ed the p515 and FP 90x I would like to hear about it. 

FWIW my digital piano journey has been Yamaha CP300, then Roland RD800 (had it and a CP4 for a few days to play/compare, bought the RD800) and fast forward a few years later I recently have taken delivery on a Kawai ES920 I’ve had it for a couple of weeks now. Considered Yamaha P515 P525 CP88 and the Studiologic Numa 88 X and GT models, only got to actually play 515 & CP88 before pulling the trigger on the Kawai…you might want to consider it vs the 515/525.

• 3 months later...

If you have the cash for it, grab it! You’ll get to try it for yourself, be able to compare it to other models, and after evaluating it you can re-sell it fairly easily. Would not be a hard choice for me, but it really depends on HOW cheap and how much room I have left to set it up. But nothing wrong with having a spare to jam on in the garage or the deck when the weather gets nicer!