Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cherry Audio SEM plug-in – new and FREE for the holidays!

Dr Mike Metlay

Like it says on the label. Just went live a couple of hours ago.

No strings attached (other than creating an account with them, which you should already have because anyone who isn't already using Cherry Audio plug-ins is just a silly beaver), download, install, sign in once, and go. 

Cherry Audio SEM for FREE

You're welcome.

mike

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Thanks Doctor Mike!!!! 
I haven't fired it up yet but it's downloaded and installed. 

I should probably make sure my Fishman Triple Play is charged before I try it. Got the AU unit for Mac since I'll be using to for recording. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

A very welcome addition. I had already decided not to get the modular version, but didn't expect it to go standalone, much less as a freebie!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

No way this can be better than the GForce I recently purchased, so I’m not tempted, even though it’s free. No wonder it’s free 😀 Does it require any software center or external licensing apps? If so, then even more reasons to not install it. I can’t believe I’m lukewarm about a free plugin but the market is so overcrowded with plugins nowadays, it gets ridiculous already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

No way this can be better than the GForce I recently purchased, so I’m not tempted, even though it’s free. No wonder it’s free 😀 Does it require any software center or external licensing apps? If so, then even more reasons to not install it. I can’t believe I’m lukewarm about a free plugin but the market is so overcrowded with plugins nowadays, it gets ridiculous already. 

Super easy to download and license, no software center, no external licensing apps. I haven't used it yet but I've had good experiences with Cherry Audio in the past. 

I've never used GForce and cannot comment on plugins I have not used. I do have lots of plugins that are "similar" to each other and in a variety of functions but sold by different companies. I've found that often one favors a particular plugin because of the interface or a single feature that sets it apart, or it just happens to sound better.

Sometimes I can combine them and that sounds better still, I'd hate to only have one reverb and one delay. 

There's only one way to find out and in this case it would cost you zero.  

Interesting. I'll have to consider it, but it feels timely. I'm near deciding that I have a small monosynth jones developing, so I'm liking the Pro Soloist as a voice worth exploring. An SEM would make a great partner for it. I like to layer acoustic instruments with synth for the subtle contrasts, but this pairing seems well-positioned to hit a sweet spot of its own. I have enough slab-polys and the Eight-Voice plugs give me vertigo. An SEM feels like a welcome surrogate. Cherry Christmas! :thx:

• Like 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

9 minutes ago, David Emm said:

Interesting. I'll have to consider it, but it feels timely. I'm near deciding that I have a small monosynth jones developing, so I'm liking the Pro Soloist as a voice worth exploring. An SEM would make a great partner for it. I like to layer acoustic instruments with synth for the subtle contrasts, but this pairing seems well-positioned to hit a sweet spot of its own. I have enough slab-polys and the Eight-Voice plugs give me vertigo. An SEM feels like a welcome surrogate. Cherry Christmas! :thx:

I figure any free plugin from a reputable company is worth checking out at least. And yes, stacking sounds if fun and can be interesting. I usually have to clean up my MIDI tracks I create using Fishman Triple Play, I've also learned that I get cleaner tracks to start with if I use my fingers instead of a pick. The pick is hard enough to split the string at the transient, creating two pitches - one on either side of the pick and the one on the fretboard side is usually not sending through a pickup so you just get a weird and worthless "ping" unless I use fingers. Rather than stack plugins going in, I usually copy and paste the Midi track and just swap in different plugins until I find a combination that I like. 

1 hour ago, RABid said:

I dropped by to get my free plugin. Decided to check out the latest Voltage modules at holiday pricing and ended up spending $50. So, nice move and smart move Cherry Audio.

Yes Robert, their GX80 (with Mike's Mr. V patch!) is where I go to channel my inner Deckard. They nailed the power and the delicacy of the CS80.

If I wasn't surfeit with Obies, I'd jump at this. Great company. Great products.

I don't really understand how Cherry Audio puts out so many plugins compared to everyone else, do they employ like 900 programmers?

In any case, I don't have any of theirs, do have various Obie things (and Diva) but I might pick this up.   Like others have said, I'm really doing my best to ask the "Do I need this?" question no matter what the deal or price.

42 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I don't really understand how Cherry Audio puts out so many plugins compared to everyone else, do they employ like 900 programmers?

In any case, I don't have any of theirs, do have various Obie things (and Diva) but I might pick this up.   Like others have said, I'm really doing my best to ask the "Do I need this?" question no matter what the deal or price.

I've given lots of free plugins a trial and some of them are fantastic so I keep them. I've got most everything covered and then some, been pondering thinning out the herd lately. Still haven't fired up this latest one. I'm in no hurry. 

I just reviewed the presets and was pleasantly surprised. A lot of it is the usual analog fare you'd expect, but when it shines, its especially welcome. There are some seriously round or punchy basses to be had, typical of Oberheim. There are several patches that loosely say "Jan Hammer," because when you push the mod wheel, the growl is quite evocative of electric guitar. I can see why he used an SEM as part of his solo voice for a while.

Above all, I got the ambient-type leads I wanted. A little added echo really brings out the cream. I've never quite developed Oberheim fever for its poly side, but its nice to have the added color for lead purposes. Good synth!

• Like 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"