Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organ Trios (or maybe quartets) that you enjoy following?

Tusker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if James Carter featuring Gerard Gibbs on organ has had a mention. It’s a sax, organ and drums combo. There’s a lifetime of organ music here. Don’t forget to listen to other stuff too.

Charlie Hunter is listed above. Saw him in an interview where he mentioned being inspired by organists playing left hand bass and melody or comping in the right. I only discovered him when he recently visited Australia with Kurt Elling who is my favourite vocalist.

• Like 2

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

• 4 weeks later...

As promised/threatened, I've got a little self promo I'm going to do here; hopefully that's cool with everyone. This organ trio project, Pocket Bandits, has been a really thrilling new challenge for me, and something I'm trying to figure out how to build on as much as possible -- playing in new cities! Getting out in front of a larger audience! The whole bit. It's a process.

Anyway, we released our debut single today, and I wanted to share with this group. Hope you dig.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

That’s really cool, Mr. Blupowitz. 🙂 

The way you’re divvying up parts between your hands is fucking with my head a bit, because it seems the opposite from how I’d do it. 

We should do a duet sometime. ☝️

• Love 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

2 minutes ago, analogika said:

That’s really cool, Mr. Blupowitz. 🙂 

The way you’re divvying up parts between your hands is fucking with my head a bit, because it seems the opposite from how I’d do it. 

We should do a duet sometime. ☝️

I would love to play together, dude! Let me know if you're ever stateside (and I will certainly let you know if I/we make it over to Germany -- our drummer is Danish so some European gigs aren't entirely out of the question assuming we can do it without losing a boatload of money).

As far as divvying up the parts -- I hear you, sometimes it doesn't seem to make sense to me until I find the coordination thing that works. For instance, in the chorus/bridge section, I'm playing the chords in my right hand and that melodic line in my left (while I move to play the bass on the pedals). It seems weird to not play the line with my right hand, but because my left hand is playing basslines the rest of the tune, it just feels more natural to cover that melody with my left hand. 🤷‍♂️ I dunno, I'm making this up as I go along!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• 2 months later...

I was bummed when I saw that Jimmy James had left the Delvon Lamar Organ Trio but looks like he's in a new organ trio called Parlor Greens. Diggin' their sound so far!

• Like 2

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

On 3/12/2024 at 10:03 PM, Nowarezman said:

Abercrombie with Dan Wall on B-3.  See JA's albums While We're Young, Speak of the Devil, Tactics, Open Land.  

I was just getting into jazz organ when those Abercrombie trio records came out in the '90's, I felt like they represented a really cool way forward for the organ trio that wasn't coming from funk, soul or jam music, this was intimate, harmonically sophisticated, advanced improvisation. These records really mean a lot to me. I'd never seen this film before, and I'm really enjoying it.

3 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

I was bummed when I saw that Jimmy James had left the Delvon Lamar Organ Trio but looks like he's in a new organ trio called Parlor Greens. Diggin' their sound so far!

Yeah, me too, loved his playing with Delvon. I'm assuming you know about his band the True Loves already, they are great! Definitely digging  Parlor Green, I just pre-ordered their album, due out 7/19. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

56 minutes ago, NewImprov said:

I was just getting into jazz organ when those Abercrombie trio records came out in the '90's, I felt like they represented a really cool way forward for the organ trio that wasn't coming from funk, soul or jam music, this was intimate, harmonically sophisticated, advanced improvisation. These records really mean a lot to me. I'd never seen this film before, and I'm really enjoying it.

Yeah, me too, loved his playing with Delvon. I'm assuming you know about his band the True Loves already, they are great! Definitely digging  Parlor Green, I just pre-ordered their album, due out 7/19. Thanks for the heads-up!

Yeah Jimmy James is a vibe for sure! Going to see Delvon in September with the new line up. Having a little trouble getting acclimated to the new guitarist’s Tele tone in the clips I’ve seen but I’m sure it will be an awesome show live.

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, CrossRhodes said:

Yeah Jimmy James is a vibe for sure! Going to see Delvon in September with the new line up. Having a little trouble getting acclimated to the new guitarist’s Tele tone in the clips I’ve seen but I’m sure it will be an awesome show live.

My band was booked to play at a festival in the summer of 2020, opening for Delvon and his trio. COVID happened instead...

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

25 minutes ago, NewImprov said:

My band was booked to play at a festival in the summer of 2020, opening for Delvon and his trio. COVID happened instead...

Aw man, that sucks. From what I can tell Delvon’s had a pretty rough past couple of years. Hopefully he’s on the up and up now!

On 11/15/2023 at 8:53 AM, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Since there's so much Soulive love on this thread, worth sharing a performance.

Neal Evans is always the coolest guy in the room, and he does things with his left hand that I struggle to play on an actual bass guitar. I am noticing that he's not using his typical rig with a third controller board for bass between the Hammond and the Clav -- it looks like he's playing on the lower manual of the organ, but I'm definitely hearing his more typical VST bass sound in the mix. As a bassist/keyboardist who is currently playing a lot of key bass, I'm always looking for ways to get the bass sounds feeling a little punchier and more fluid.

Also since "organ quartets" were the other category mentioned in the thread title, it's worth shouting out a couple of the influential classics: Booker T and the MG's, and The Meters!

I totally get what you mean about Neal Evans! He's amazing. It's interesting to hear that he's not using his usual setup. If he's using the lower manual of the organ but you're still hearing that punchy VST bass sound, it might be worth experimenting with similar virtual instruments and effects.