Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Over 7 million people incarcerated

An article in todays paper. Wow. The article went on to say that 1 out of every 15 people born in 2001 (our three year olds) will spend at least one year in prison. If you take the entire population of ND and multiply it by 11.6666, you will have about 7 million. If those 7 million people were geographically set up in a different manner, they would get 16 electoral votes.

Have we gone prison happy? Are we so afraid of 1 out of 15 people that we have to stick them in prison? Smoke pot - go to prison. Charge for sex - go to prison. Get free cable tv - go to prison.

Maybe we should just save prison for those who really do very bad things against their fellow man, like using an illegal copy of Windows (kidding). I know that prison is there for a deterrent for us all to fear so we won't steal cable tv, but supporting all of those prisons and inmates is becoming a genuine problem in America.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are incredibly crazy with our prisons. They do nothing to make us safer- they are crime colleges. The prisons in the US are a leftover from plantation days- racism is utterly rampant in our legal system.

Clinton doubled the US prison population in his 8 years as pres. DOUBLED. Mostly for drug offenses.

I'll tell you any troublemakers are a lot less trouble before they do a stint in crime college- when they come out, they are completely hardened to violence and know a lot more about crime than when they went in.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Many states have privatized their prisons. this means companies are making money on prisoners.

Don't believe me? Accept a collect call from an inmate (or even someone in a local jail in either Michigan or Florida.)

Wait a month, check out YOUR phone bill. Sit down first, as the per minute charges will absolutely FLOOR you.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

The majority of the populations are nonviolent inmates most of which have been incarcerated because on mandatory sentencing. At least that's how I understand it.

I seem to remember that came in under Reagan and the zero tolerance platform of that era but nonetheless.

Some judges are starting to refuse to apply the mandatory sentences.

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

The harm from drug laws exceeds the harm from drugs. Face it, at least 50% of young people ages 16-30 have used an illegal drug. We can't keep trying to lock all of them up. Although some people clean up from their addictions after a stint in prison, it seems that just as many start new addictions in prison. Its time to end Prohibition II.

Originally posted by hard truth:

[QB]Face it, at least 50% of young people ages 16-30 have used an illegal drug. QB]

Try more like 90%. I'd say 50% use drugs, but WAY more like 90% have tried at least one drug.

I heard somewhere once that 25% of the WORLDS prisoners are in the USA. Thats a hard number for me to swallow. Something is terribly wrong here.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Several counties here in Florida found an answer... they started putting the prisoners in Army tents out in the Florida heat.

Guess what???? A lot of them never came back after they were released...

Of course the courts stepped in, waggled their fingers at the sherriffs saying "you can't mistreat them with such deplorable contitions"; far cushier than our soldiers in Bahgdad would love to have and made them build more $80,000 per bed prisions.

Guess what?? The crime rate went back up again.

Originally posted by cwfno:

Have we gone prison happy?

I understand your point, but maybe we've all gone 'crime happy'.

Just something to consider.

Smoke pot - go to prison. Charge for sex - go to prison. Get free cable tv - go to prison.

I have to ask, do you know anybody who has been to prison for smoking pot, charging for sex, or getting free cable?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Jail who is using paid copies of Windows! It's a crime to let windows alive.

Anyway, USA is a very violent culture, killing is just as simple as eating icecream, and there is no social peace.

in fact.... there is ... no culture. Just a bunch of cowboys killing for a piece of terrain. The proof is that you still don't include native americans in your society, you just let them disappear in some desert.

It's strange but the most advanced land in terms of business and research, is the most ancestral culture too.

Sucking the brain's vacuum

Waiting for the Nuclear Fusion. More energy, less damage.

A whole lot of women are in prison and separated from their children, which hurts the innocent children worse, over the most bullshit of charges. I mean there, right now, while we're free.

Why does the US have the highest rate of incarceration in the world, with the former USSR and China? Because we can! :) We have a major industrialized economy and we can (almost) afford the luxury of locking up vast amounts of people. We have endless corridors you can disappear down and never be seen again! All these upstart countries have to kill by the millions to compete- we can just lock 'em up day and night, and never mind the bill- never mind it would be cheaper to send each prison inmate to Harvard by the year.

:cry:

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Bryson:

Originally posted by Sunny.:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Take it to the political forum please.

Stick a brick up your ass please.
Use a brick, go to prison.
Yeah, my state has a mandatory two-year minimum for ass-bricking.

:D

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I'm from Canada but I find the American prison system fascinating. Here's some interesting facts:

Let's first get an idea of the scope of the American prison population.

"Overall, the United States incarcerated 2,071,686 persons at yearend 2000."

This includes Federal, State and territorial prisons, local and Indian country jails, INS, military and juvenile facilities. Current US drug policy continues to heavily fuel federal inmate populations:

"Prisoners sentenced for drug offenses constitute the largest group of Federal inmates (61%) in 1999, up from 53% in 1990. On September 30, 1999, the date of the latest available data in the Federal Justice Statistics Program, Federal prisons held 68,360 sentenced drug offenders, compared to 30,470 at yearend 1990."(ad)

According to the Sentencing Project, "The U.S. rate of incarceration is generally 5-8 times that of comparable industrialized nations such as Canada and the countries of western Europe."(ae) Currently it stands at 699 per 100,000 population while the nearest nation Russia, is at 644.

The FBI Uniform Crime Report puts the number of marijuana arrests at 723,626 for 2001. Nine out of ten of those arrests were for possession alone.

Here are some Incarceration Rates for various countries

(Number incarcerated per 100,000):

US 715

Russia 584

Mexico 169

England/Wales 143

Canada 116

Australia 114

Germany 96

France 95

Japan 54

As you can see. The U.S. is number #1. The U.S. incarceration rate is over 6 times that of Canada.

Is the U.S. 6 times safer than Canada?

In 1999, the murder rate in Canada was 1.8 per 100,000 population. In that same year, the US homicide rate was 5.7 per 100,000 population in the United States.

Does throwing people in prison equate safer? Maybe not, eh?

WASHINGTON More than 5.6 million Americans are in prison or have served time there, according to a new report by the Justice Department released Sunday. That's 1 in 37 adults living in the United States, the highest incarceration level in the world.

It's the first time the US government has released estimates of the extent of imprisonment, and the report's statistics have broad implications for everything from state fiscal crises to how other nations view the American experience.

If current trends continue, it means that a black male in the United States would have about a 1 in 3 chance of going to prison during his lifetime. For a Hispanic male, it's 1 in 6; for a white male, 1 in 17

Basically, the opinion I was trying to get across is that we really should save our prison space for those that can be genuinely deemed a danger to society. While that's extremely subjective, you just can't lump every crime into a prison sentance, with the only variable the time you have to serve.

I was in court fighting a traffic ticket (I won!!) a couple months ago and the case in front of me was a fellow who had a gambling problem and had written over $12000 in bad checks and had fallen behind on his child support payments. This was his second time in front of the same judge. He got three years in the state pen. Three years. Ouch. I don't know. Maybe I'm too much of a liberal. His second time? Well, maybe he needs to have his checkbook taken away and he has to be forced into some kind of help program for his addiction. He had a full time job, couldn't some of his wages be garnished for child support? I can't see him getting caught up with his child support while in prison. Hasn't his problem just been multiplied? I just don't know. Anyway, my personal fellings are that we have too much of a "prison will teach you a lesson" attitude in The USA. Yes, it scares the hell out of me and most others I know who try to be somewhat law abiding, but I don't see it working over all. Our prison population is growning, not diminishing.

bbach

Originally posted by Sunny.:

Take it to the political forum please.

Stick a brick up your ass please.
Wow! It can't follow directions or make intelligent conversation! :rolleyes:

There's a whole forum for this drivel. If you don't like that Craig separated these excercises in rude futility to a corner where only those who wish to be bashed will find them then take it up with the moderator.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I can't dismiss the stuff Myshell (Thanks!) and others are posting here as "drivel". The fuck, over?

As I'm writing this my mate just read to me that 1 out of 9 folks imprisoned in the US are in Texas. That's a lot of people being systematically tortured by deprivation, overcrowding, and rape. You could be one of them, make no mistake, even if your lack of melanin makes it less likely.

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

I can't dismiss the stuff Myshell (Thanks!) and others are posting here as "drivel". The fuck, over?

As I'm writing this my mate just read to me that 1 out of 9 folks imprisoned in the US are in Texas. That's a lot of people being systematically tortured by deprivation, overcrowding, and rape. You could be one of them, make no mistake, even if your lack of melanin makes it less likely.

What you fail to realize is that I am not commenting on the topic. I'm commenting on the consistant oversimplification with which people "discuss" this issue. There are very complex social issues that have led the US to this sorry state of affairs. I'm not interested in yet another hit-and-run arguement over one tiny aspect of the situation being touted as the reason the US sucks for having such a high total and percentage prison population.

Like I said, this is a topic for the political forum, the SSS version of professional wrestling. A lot of bombast, little truth and a whole lot of yelling and namecalling. :freak:

(I was really happy when this topic seemed to be sinking to the bottom.. but it only takes one post to regurgitate the whole thing. ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Like I said, this is a topic for the political forum, the SSS version of professional wrestling. A lot of bombast, little truth and a whole lot of yelling and namecalling. :freak:

Speak for yourself, or maybe some others. Just because the forum has a few of these people doesn't mean the whole lot of us is like that.

The people who instigate the b.s. are the minority.

They just like to instigate and provoke people. The majority of us truly care about the state of things, and these few like to prey on this. The know we care, so they spend all their time trying to provoke an emotional response. And this also works wonders for avoiding the facts, or having a real dialog.

And if one looks at the forum, they should see that it's this minority wields the most control over the forum. For some strange reason, people can't resist the urge to get in these pissing matches with people who probably don't even give a shit. They just like to show up and push peoples buttons for entertainment value.

Trolls. I won't mention an(eocon)y names.

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

What you fail to realize is that I am not commenting on the topic. I'm commenting on the consistant oversimplification with which people "discuss" this issue. There are very complex social issues that have led the US to this sorry state of affairs. I'm not interested in yet another hit-and-run arguement over one tiny aspect of the situation being touted as the reason the US sucks for having such a high total and percentage prison population.

(I was really happy when this topic seemed to be sinking to the bottom.. but it only takes one post to regurgitate the whole thing. ;) )

Didn't realize that the number of people in prison was politics. Also didn't relize that there would be a lot of yelling and name calling.

Keep up the good work everyone! :thu:

bbach

It's oversimplified just to talk about the grotesque sheer volume of folks in US prisons, without a tactful analysis of the complex politics and historical reasons that we doubled the US prison population under Clinton, for example.

Did I get that right? I must say the nuance escapes me, as it probably seems a bit subtle to all those imprisoned right now.

I did notice one self-righteous hot-headed post about how making prison conditions worse prevented recidivism in FL- that does remind me of the political forum, I must say. Are we divided along party lines on this one? One things for sure, a lot of people labelled "convicted felon" won't be voting in this election, so maybe they really don't count after all.

Once you go down the road of victimless crimes, it's hard to turn back. I don't have a vested interest in what acts you charge money to perform of what you put into your body (if I did, a lot of pop "stars" would be in jail and possesion of their recordings would be illegal). Good thing that my sensibilities don't rule the day....

How we got here is a group of people trying to force their way of life on all others and a lot of people who won't stand up for anything that doesn't directly affect them. Combine that with a bureaucratic system that can't ever shrink and pretty soon you have the mess we see today.

There is no justice, only power.

Fanatic, if you don't like reading this... DON'T.

-tINY

Originally posted by Programgirl:

I don't know, don't you think it's kind of neat that if you want to live rent-free with meals, television, and workout facilities, AND get a college degree, all you have to do is carry a joint around with you?

If malnutrition and TV are your thing, and you don't mind being raped, prison might be just the place for you.

Archived