Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Table-style keyboard stand suggestions

dazzjazz

Hi all,

I need a new stand for piano and organ gigs (where I don’t use bass pedals). Currently I just tolerate my old Quiklok X-stand, but it’s pretty uncomfortable.

I have an K&M 18810 Omega in my studio, which is great, but it doesn’t fold up.

I use a K&M 18950 for my organ rig (with bass pedals) but the height is not easily adjustable, otherwise I’d just use it and have just one stand permanently in my van.

What else is out there please? I had a look at Sweetwater’s site, but nothing really stood out. 

cheers

Darren. 

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

How about the K&M 18820 = the same as your 18810, but does fold up.  (That’s what I use when playing out - heavy but rock solid.)

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

Yes that one looks good. However, it would be about $500 here in Australia. 
also, the way it folds means it wouldn’t be stable when placed on my hand cart. Fussy aren’t I ?!

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Not exactly table-style, but the $40 Knox Gear accordion-style stand is great - super-portable, stable, and easily adjustable for both sitting down and standing up.

https://www.amazon.com/Knox-Universal-Portable-Accordion-Adjustable/dp/B0798TYT75

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

I really love the On-Stage KS7150, it's been my main stand for years now.  A lighter-weight take on the K&M 18950 type concept.  Great value for the money, more sturdy than it looks.  I regularly stack a Yamaha CP300 and Nord Stage # Compact on these stands, combined weight close to 100lbs, and it feels sturdy and solid at sitting heights.  Just make sure the legs are hinged out as far as they'll go to minimize side-to-side wobble.

The big advantage of this type of design is that you can put it in a keyboard gig bag along with a folding bench, so all your hardware is (1) protected and (2) reduced to a single one-hand carry.  Or put it in a Pelican Air 1615 with a folding bench along with an iPad clip or whatever other bits and bobs you need, and you have a hardware package under 50lbs so you can even fly with as checked baggage if the need arises (it's come in handy a few times).

I haven't tried the official 2nd tier for it, I either use a CP300 or VPC1 one and just stack, or use a home-brew thing I made with a couple of 7/8" square dowels and threaded rods that just holds up the back of the top keyboard.

I rarely play standing but on the handful of occasions I have, it still felt fine with the height jacked up.

I have the Gator stand and never had stability problems with it. I now use the Knox stand which is lightweight, stable, easy and fast set up and take down. Also inexpensive. I don't know what it is in Oz. Mine was $40 in the US, as Jwave said above.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

12 hours ago, El Lobo said:

I now use the Knox stand which is lightweight, stable, easy and fast set up and take down. Also inexpensive.

This stand does look great, and I’d like to get it myself.  But the min height appears to be 27.5 inches, which would put the keys a little high when playing sitting down. 

5 hours ago, time4jazz said:

This stand does look great, and I’d like to get it myself.  But the min height appears to be 27.5 inches, which would put the keys a little high when playing sitting down. 

I agree, and that's a real shame, because making it shorter would require major surgery, a chop and 1. re-weld or 2. bolts and metal inserts/outside plates.  Frustrating, because the picture makes it look like there is 3-4 inches of stand between the bottom accordion screw hole and the leg base.

• Like 1

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

I was thinking the same thing as time4jazz and sunspot but I kept diving around in the section where you could ask a question & there was an answer there that put the final achievable height well above that. Check just to make sure though; don't just take my word for it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, El Lobo said:

I have the Gator stand and never had stability problems with it. I now use the Knox stand which is lightweight, stable, easy and fast set up and take down. Also inexpensive. I don't know what it is in Oz. Mine was $40 in the US, as Jwave said above.

Does the Knox stand sway side to side at all?

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

27 minutes ago, Coker said:

Does the Knox stand sway side to side at all?

Not in my experience. You lock the width in place with the knobs and the accordion keeps it there. The flat bar legs that it sits on do not move while you're playing. 

• Like 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I use the Millenium KS-2000. I love it, it’s sturdy, solid, and has adjustable legs and width. If you only use one keyboard then it’s a good little unit. I only use it at home so might not be appropriate for gigs and moving around. Bought it from Thomann a couple years ago and I can’t remember how compact it can fold up to,  as soon as I got it I set it up and haven’t touched it again.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

4 hours ago, sunspot said:

I agree, and that's a real shame, because making it shorter would require major surgery, a chop and 1. re-weld or 2. bolts and metal inserts/outside plates.  Frustrating, because the picture makes it look like there is 3-4 inches of stand between the bottom accordion screw hole and the leg base.

Yeah, it’s hard to believe they didn’t account for such an obvious use.  And to get something similar but 3 inches shorter, one has to go to the K&M 18880 at ~$240!

10 hours ago, time4jazz said:

Yes, the minimum height of the Knox accordion stand is the main drawback for many people. Mine adjusts from 27.5” to 38.5” as one Amazon reviewer said. It works fine for me as I’m tall and I put my folding bench to its maximum height.

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

I found the Gator one not too stable with the legs flared out, and sold it. I still use the K&M stand and have an excellent one from Stagg that is similar, which I use for my Hammond XK4.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager